Indy 4 Gear (PREDICTIONS FROM 2003!)...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Indy 4 Gear (PREDICTIONS FROM 2003!)...

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what sort of gear additions or modifications would you like to see in the next film?

I'd like to see more cold-weather gear as in Mystery of the Blues (with Indy sporting a beard, of course). This would be perfect as a intro mini-adventure. Also I'd like to see a backpack being used.

I also hope to see the grey fedora back, or a suitier alternate to the classic brown. I doubt we'll see this as the Hat has become the trademark.

What else???

Kind regards,
Indy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A definitive timepiece. We know he had a silver cased pocket watch from the novelization, but it would be nice to have something researched and placed on his person on screen. Sure, he didn't need one in the field, but it sure comes in handy when you have a plane to catch! :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Some kind of award?

Post by Cassidy »

Just an idea - maybe Indiana Jones will be rewarded by the government for all of the years of service (yeah, right!) and there'll be a nifty medal/medallion or something...maybe that's when we see all of the people from his past re-united?

In terms of GEAR, I agree with Magnoli in that I adore Indy's "look" ca. Mystery of the Blues, and would love to see that grizzled, worn out look in a cold environment. The scarf added something cool that I can't put my finger on.

Anyway, just the thoughts of a "newbie."

Cassidy.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I think Indy should have some type of hunting knife on his belt, much like he does in the novels. He could also use a nice compass.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

What about black gear? Black fedora, black jacket, black boots, denim jeans...ala Fonzie. Just kidding, y'all!
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

I'd like to see Indy use a Tommy Gun (Thompson m1928 SMG or m1a1, I would think both would have been fairly plentiful as the 50's were not that long after the end of WWII) . It doesn't have to be for very long, I just think it would be cool for and American icon to utilize another very famous American icon. Plus, it would look cool.

Luke
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I agree with SkyWlkerInc. That'd be pretty cool, it'd be like the bazooka from Raiders and that one machine gun from LC. I'd like to see the return of the Raiders pinch as well.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

Definitely a Thompson MIA1. I'd also like to see a Colt 1911 A1 in use. Also definitely a wrist watch (preferrably a Rolex Submariner or GMT Master since all the rest of his gear is the best of the best). I think some cold weather gear (like MotBs gear) would be a nice touch, but I'd like to see Indy more in a jungle area much like the opening scene of Raiders. To me, that is Indy in his prime. The rest of his gear should be kind of a cross between Raiders and LC, with hopefully more of a Raiders homage. A small knife, along the lines of a Buck folding knife or maybe even a Randall fixed blade knife (that is the Cadillac of knives) would be great, but I don't want him to be carrying something bigger than what Rambo would use. That would be overkill in my opinion. So, there are my thoughts.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

whipwarrior wrote:I think Indy should have some type of hunting knife on his belt, much like he does in the novels. He could also use a nice compass.
I agree. Essentials for any adventure.
Houdini
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Houdini »

I would love to see him sporting some period sunglasses. I am a big fan of wearing sunglasses, and it would be all too cool to be able to wear a pair that Indy wears.

Just my thoughts.

Later.
Indiana Janice
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Janice »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:What about black gear? Black fedora, black jacket, black boots, denim jeans...ala Fonzie. Just kidding, y'all!
:lol: :lol:
Too funny!
You know how many non-Indy people think his jacket IS black. It does look black at the opening of raiders, but it is obviously brown once it gets some light.

I think a watch would be nice. Some shades would also add to the character.
What about a canteen? He is in the jungle and the desert in the other films and has nothing to drink. Just a thought.
Janice
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Think he'll have a Harley he'll be jetting around on? varoom varoom...okay it's early in the morning.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I foresee a few changes in the general look of the gear, although not major changes. Granted, that change is inevitable. In the real world, I can’t go out and find the same leather jacket or fedora (thank goodness) that I bought back in the late 80’s. The styles have changed generally over the decades. Look at the Raiders jackets that are being made today and how they’ve changed BECAUSE the manufactures are trying to maintain the original look and take advantage of newer techniques.

Please, please… I don’t want to see major changes in the fedora. Unless it’s an Akubra Federation… (The best fedora I’ve ever owned in 20 years.) But I think the bag might change, the holdster, and even the firearms. Safest bet is that he will indeed be using a Colt 1911 as a side arm and Thompson MIA1.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Like Fisk said, the Colt .45 1911 would be an excellent side arm. Other than that, I wouldn't want to see any changes minus small ones like a slightly different jacket. Maybe a different bash, not too different. It's all up to Spielberg I guess. Ya know, now that it's in the 1950's, any chance of him using an Ak-47? I'd rather seem him carry a good ol' trusty Tompson Sub machine gun.
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Problem is men's fashion didn't change all that much from the thirties to the fifties. It wasn't until the mid sixties that things started to change.

And the 1911 colt, I know it is an icon but that gun always had a problem with jamming when you really needed it. I had the opportunity to fire one in a pistol marksmanship class a few years ago. it jammed four time in five clips. I think of Indys gear not as the best of the best, but as simple and reliable, high quality. a revolver is a simple mechanism that has very few problems. It's like a pocket knife I bought last fall made by Opinel(spelling?). the thing only has five parts. There are no springs to wear out. The lock is a ring that you manually twist to lock the blade. The simpler something is the more reliable it is, as a general rule.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

I just pray there's no more family members or children or dogs or other Disney elements in IV. What happened to the determined mean-looking SOB who first emerged from the shadows curling his bullwhip after putting Barranca in his place?

He disappeared rathar rapidly after Raiders.
I'm actually afraid of what's going to be next. I fear "Son of Indy" or other such drivel. :?

How about a shoulder holster for that Colt? :P

-Rabittooth
Indiana Cojones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Cojones »

I think Indy should drive a Honda Accord, and wear Dockers. And he should wear a Timex. Pretty much all the same stuff that I normally use.

I really can't afford any more gear.

\:D/
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Rabittooth wrote:I just pray there's no more family members or children or dogs or other Disney elements in IV. What happened to the determined mean-looking SOB who first emerged from the shadows curling his bullwhip after putting Barranca in his place?

He disappeared rathar rapidly after Raiders.
I'm actually afraid of what's going to be next. I fear "Son of Indy" or other such drivel. :?

How about a shoulder holster for that Colt? :P

-Rabittooth
Amen to that! I'm not sure about the shoulder holster, but depending on where the film is set it might make sense for Indy to have to conceal his sidearm under his jacket. As I've stated many times before, I hope he's packing a 1911 as well. Maybe even a GI webbelt like the original McQuarrie concept art? It would be a good place to keep his knife and canteen! How about combat boots?
PBG :-k
jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jaydoc1 »

Indy had a 1911 colt in RotLA both in the bar and on Katanga's boat.

I've made the point about seeing the "mean SOB" Indy back for this movie but fear the worst. (see Lao Che's Table: A Note to George and Steven.)

After Raiders, the movies got campy and comedic. Not gritty and edgy like Raiders.

Hopefully this movie goes back to the roots and doesn't sprout flowers instead.

Jaydoc
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

jaydoc1 wrote:Indy had a 1911 colt in RotLA both in the bar and on Katanga's boat.
Indy had a Browning HP in the bar scene in Raiders, I'm not sure about Katanga's boat.

As much as I hate to admit it, Indy is going to be an older gentleman in the next film. Older guys don't like to change their wardrobe much, this much I can tell from pictures of my grandfathers and what they wear now. Indy's gear will probably remain the same as it always has been (whip, mkvii bag, alden, HJ fedora, Wested). Really the only thing I could see change in would be his side arm, and the most likely candidate would be a Colt 1911. But, as I stated before a Thompson m1a1 would be sweet, even if it was for just a few seconds on screen.

Luke
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Why a forty year old model? his revolvers were even newer than that. there would be sevewral newer models of semi's by that time. Why is everyone stuck on the 1911? If you say it is because it is an American Icon then most of Indy's gear is British.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

jaydoc1 wrote:...I've made the point about seeing the "mean SOB" Indy back for this movie but fear the worst. (see Lao Che's Table: A Note to George and Steven.)...
I have seen it, and obviously agree. I've been making the same point for years. It's tragic. LC was a nightmare.
I'm telling you, at the rate they're going ( First Children sidekicks, then his poppa and turning Brody into a bumbling idiot ) we're gonna see a a cute CG chimpanzee secret agent accompanying Indy along on his adventures. :?

-Rabittooth
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

As far as the 1911 jamming, there were (and still are) different manufacturers of that style or model. The one that I've used is the Thompson Auto-ordinance. I’ve gone through quite a few clips and that pistol never jammed. I’m not sure what manufacturer of the 1911 Indy would use would be… I would just hope it’s a Thomspon (Makers of the M1A1).
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

Springfiled Armory makes a nice reliable 1911.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Talking about Indy 4 gear...

I read some "Indy" script years ago on the Internet where the camera pans up and finds a man napping in a boat or on a river bank. His face is covered with his fedora and fishing lures circle his hat.

I highly doubt that it's anything legit but I always thought that would be such a great idea for an older Indy. It's just something gentlemen of that era did. To me the image in my head says so much. A seasoned veteran of war, travels and adventure who has now found a quiet little spot on earth on which to retire.

I remember fishing with my grandfather and in his hat were some of his fly fishing lures. Here's a pic of him when he was younger.

Now granted Indy would take them out when he started his adventure again. I don't think he would leave them in, but it would be a neat way to pick up on what Indy has been doing the past 10-12 years.

Cheers,
Pyro.

PS ~ Here's a picture of a drawing I have in my chifforobe. It probably came out of a magazine or something. You can guess that my fishing gear will look like something between this and Indy's in about 35 years.
<wink>

Pyr.
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

I love the 1911; never have any problems with mine. For the money, the Springfield Mil-Spec is probably the best on the market right now. It looks very Indy-era.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

dr. tyree wrote:I love the 1911; never have any problems with mine. For the money, the Springfield Mil-Spec is probably the best on the market right now. It looks very Indy-era.
Great, just when I'm hooked on one model you guys give me pause to rethink my decision.
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Pyro,

What's a chifforobe?

:-k
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Flash Gordon wrote:Pyro,

What's a chifforobe?

:-k
It's a combination of wardrobe and chest of drawers.

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Sunglasses? A knife, on his belt? What is this? Batman? Those items are what Indy caries his bag for, isn't it? Maybe sunglasses when he isn't wearing his adventure gear. That'd work. I for one want to see just one thing on his belt. A large side-arm in the RAIDERS holster. I would like to see the old Raiders gear make a come-back. The old holster with a newer .45 revolver, perhaps? There's something about Indy and revolvers that just fit. I think it would be appropriate for him to carry the .45 auto but I do like the Browning. Even though there's going to be a large time gap from Raiders to the new fim, the Hi-Power withstood that test of time anyways. I wouldn't mind at all seeing Indy with the Hi-Power in his hands again either. The Thompson is a good idea too. Sounds patriotic and I like that! I can definitely see Indy with a full clip of .45 to blast off. Giving the Ruskies ####! :twisted: Another important factor is the hat. I hope they go back to Raiders again for the same type of block with the tall, straight sides. Perfect. Interestingly enough, when I last spoke to David Morgan he said if he is asked to do the whips for Indy 4 he will be leaving the turkshead knot exactly where he puts them today making the handle alot shorter than in the previous 3 films. :cry: Oh well, what can you do. Set in his ways, eh? It's a shame.

Look. They had a real good thing going in terms of his gear in the past 3 films. This is a clear case of where the clothes are so very much a part of the character. Everyone identifies him through his gear first. Even the knock-off's are easy to spot because of the similar gear. They (the studio) aren't going to ruin a good thing. It would just be bad. :evil: For all of us.

So, if anyone who will be working on Indy 4 is reading this, I BEG YOU to do the right thing and keep our hero the way we will always want to remember him. :D
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Jonesing »

Good call in regards to wanting to see a timepiece, Michaelson. I'm RIGHT there with you. Only I must admit that I'm some-what dreading the day that it's shown on screen and properly identified. Every fan and his brother is going to want the same make and model. We’ll all be scouring eBay and the likes for the few that MAY be out there, causing feeding frenzies and prices to sky-rocket as we compete with each other to have the pocket or wrist watch we never would have wanted until Indy donned it.

But hey, that's the fun of it, right?

-Jonesing
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

HA HA! :lol:

Quite the observation, Jonesing. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a compass VERY much like the Raiders 'Cairo' compass and it's the first time I ever wanted to buy such equipment. I haven't used a compass since I was a kid, but now I intend to go back for it one day, just so it'll look good amongst the Gear. Gravy, but it's all good.

[start humming Glory, Glory Hallelujah]

I am of the mindset that, although I'd like to have as much ROTLA Screen accurate Gear as possible, the fact is that Indy changes things movie-to-movie, MOTB cameo, novels, games and comix, so even though my holster is a vintage 1930's RCMP revolver holster, with a snap closure without the strap, I still like it a lot, and use it as my Indy holster. Who's to say that in one of his many adventures that he didn't have this pair of binoculars, or that pocket knife or watch or holster?

As long as it looks "Indy-esque", then these pieces are what make our Gear our own. Individual. If we all had Westeds, and HJ's and Aldens, instead of mixing in USWings, Federations or LLBean, then we'd all be the same!! And where's the fun in that???

I LOVE my DM 10 footer, but a lot of posts are bestowing the virtues of ECWhips. And I want a Federation WAY more than I want an HJ. If IJ4 has a time piece, then the fun will be in finding one as similar as possible. And the fun of sifting through vintage watches and time pieces at Flea Markets and Trade Shows.

Deep down, I really think that this is what being a Gearhead is all about. Customizing the Gear with our own flavours.

I am Rob..And I AM A GEARHEAD!!!!!!!

Sorry...kinda got carried away there.
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Well said. It's much of what I've both believed and preached for a long time, Gater. Who here among us would have purchased an MKVII bag if not for the Indy Films? It would just be another olive drab, canvas purse hanging by the hundreds in military surplus stores across the world.

I'm getting a pair of binoculars soon. But I won't be getting the ones from Indy 3. Sure, I'll get something similar from the period, but let's face it, if Indy can change his holster in each different film, why not his binoculars too?

There are the signature pieces like the hat and jacket that you don't want to mess with too much. But then there's the room for customization and personal touch. And thus far, the timepiece for me has been just that. I have a few pocket watches pre-1920's and several WW2 wristwatches (in keeping with the time period of the bag) that nicely accompany my gear. Because after all, I'm not Indiana Jones, I'm Indiana_Jonesing.

It's all about trying to add a bit of who we are as individuals to who Indy was on screen, and have it all compliment each other.

-Jonesing
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

"It's all about trying to add a bit of who we are as individuals to who Indy was on screen, and have it all compliment each other. "

Exactly. I only have a few props from the movies, and none from YIJC, the novels or Fate of Atlantis. But I've been in a few antique stores and kitch feaux-antique stores with Egyptian style props that seem to fit an archeological type find that would really accentuate the Gear, and would display nicely. Pharoah masks and anch's and the like. More to make the Indy Room unique. That's what I love about this hobby. Ya can't put a phaser or hand-link communicator into a Star Wars display, but a weathered pocket watch, or magnifying glass fit quite nicely amongst the Gear. There's A LOT of room for individuality. And considering the time-span, too, there are few restrictions. As long as it is dated pre-1950's, and it's even remotely distressed, it's Gear baby!!!!
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

"Ya can't put a phaser or hand-link communicator into a Star Wars display, but a weathered pocket watch, or magnifying glass fit quite nicely amongst the Gear."

Right on the money! Not only that, but you can't just wonder into an antique shop and find a lightsaber. The items and artifacts you mention above, you can . . .And MOST of the time, they're much cheaper than a replica saber!

Have a great weekend!

-Jonesing
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I love browsing antique stores and the like, but I'm also an advocate of buying new things that look period-specific. For example, Stanley London, a company in California, specializes in brass reproductions of compasses, nautical devices, and surveyors transits. I bought a large antiqued brass compass that looks like it could have come from the 1930's. Similarly, all of my luggage is Filson. Not only did they exist back then, but their designs and craftsmanship remain virtually unchanged to this day. Perfect IndyGear. Right now I'm searching for some Last Crusade binoculars. I'll be one happy camper when I have those in my satchel. So yes, I agree that individual gear supplements enhance and personalize our Indiana Jones outfits. Only we know what is best for each of us, and we have to prepare for our own journeys accordingly. It's all in the name of adventure!

-Dale
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I just found them!!! Check it out, guys!!! :D

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/emporiumunl ... anrep.html

YES!!!
Last edited by whipwarrior on Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

WOW! :shock: I think those look great! I have been unable to find the binoculars @ TJ Maxx so I think I'll try and get a pair of these! Great find!
PBG
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks. I'm getting a pair as well! :D :D :D

-Dale
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Most people's outdoor gear evolves over time. Indy's gear probably would have as well. His gear seems to be chosen for its functionality and portability. To keep Indy recognizable to fans, he should keep the fedora, the jacket, the whip, and the bag. Small changes or additions to the rest of his gear would seem appropriate. Remember, after WWII there were plenty of surplus firearms and other gear available. In 1950, Smith and Wesson had developed newer versions of their revolvers with shorter throw hammers. They had also developed a 9mm. semi-auto, the M-39. Indy should lose the Webley. There were better firearms available at that time from Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Browning.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

To me, it seems Indy's outfit wouldn't have to change too drastically...I mean we're still wearing it in 2003. I'd mainly see the type of gun as changing, but the jacket, pants, and shirt would all be the same IMO. The fedora...well...Indy isn't Indy without the fedora.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

I just hope that as Indy gets older, his pants don't start to ride up (like my Gramps) otherwise we'd see an Indy with his waistband above his belly button.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Think he'll be wearing suspenders? My dad wears suspenders in his older age.
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

Indiana Jess wrote:I just hope that as Indy gets older, his pants don't start to ride up (like my Gramps) otherwise we'd see an Indy with his waistband above his belly button.
that wouldn't be pretty....

I think it'll be worse with the suspenders. :shock:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Not gear, but I would like to see Indy with a dog - I think it would make aq good companion (Rabbittoth you were complaining about kid side kick) but it would have to be done in the right way and not have it comically chasing bad guys and things... but I think it would be good for his character especially with him being older. One like Henry Jones Sr had in LC.

Ken
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Have you noticed, the darkess of the film is in direct perportion to the distance of any sidekick?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Think he'll be wearing suspenders? My dad wears suspenders in his older age.
He wore suspenders in LC. Not with gear but with his suit.

(sorry about the poor image. I am working some bugs out of my system.)
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

Pyroxene wrote:
He wore suspenders in LC. Not with gear but with his suit.

never noticed that. thanks for the pic post.
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee Harper »

You can see the suspenders in the scene where he first meets Ilsa in Venice as well.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Here is a question on clothing etiquette which someone here might know the answer - when wearing suspenders (or braces as I would call them) with a suit, can you still wear a belt with your trousers or are they mutually exclusive?

Ken