And THIS, boys and girls, is why...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

And THIS, boys and girls, is why...

Post by Darth Indiana »

you should always wear protective clothing when practicing with you bullwhip.

i'm very lucky my eye was closed. it actually looks worse in person. that's not a smear of blood, that's part of the welt.
Last edited by Darth Indiana on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

If you'd have aimed 8 inches lower, you'd have been the most hardcore fan EVER.....What the #### were you doing?
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Your mom always said you'll put your eye out with that thing. :shock:
Next time wear a helmet.
R
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

People wonder why i am so serious about eye protection, Especally for some one just learning or when trying new tricks. All it takes is one time.

Darth Indiana [-X You are #### lucky you didnt loose an eye. Any lower and it could have very well cut right though your lid into the eye.

BTW, Shrink your picture a bit, its too big.

Dan
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

You are VERY lucky. However, I think that's a great testimony to why whipcracking should be taken seriously.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I'm glade you are alright. that was close my friend.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

What the ####?! That's pretty awesome, but you might wanna watch what you're doing next time.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, you need to work on your aim...the scar's supposed to be on the chin! :lol:

Just kidding. :wink: Seriously though, glad you're okay. This has definitely been a good warning to both of us - I haven't been wearing eye protection either. We're both going to need to invest in some goggles. :junior: -M
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

That doesn't look much better than what my legs looked like my first time 'round. Whipcracking IS very serious and not something to be taken lightly. Safety is a big factor and should always be on ones mind when practicing. I tell that to folks when they ask to try my whip. I always warn them but rarely do they listen and it generally ends up in a welt somewhere.
You were lucky dude it could have been worse. Definfately a testimony as to why one should wear safety glasses.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Darth Indiana, you dodged a bullet big time.

But you really need to read my tale here:
viewtopic.php?p=38276#38276

For those to lazy to click, here it is:
But I will tell you my story. I got a brand new 10 foot whip when I first started. Only having cracked 8 footers up to that time, I tried to do a "reverse horizontal" for the first time on the 10 footer. Snap, right into my left eye. I mean I couldn't even blink, it smacked right straight into my left eyeball. The blow from the whip knocked me down.

I got up after 5 minutes and opened both eyes. I could see, but I sensed that something about my left eye was wrong. I closed my right eye, and I could not see ANYTHING from my left. I could see that it was light out, but I couldn't see the blue from the sky or green on the grass. It was like someone spread a whole jar of vaseline right into my eye. What was worse after 10 more minutes of sitting on the ground, it wasn't getting any better. I got up, and very determinedly, cracked off the "reverse horizontal" and took the slow 10 minute hike back to my car.

I then had to drive 30 minutes on a busy highway to the closest ER. Making a left hand turn or merging left without any vision from your left eye is impossible. If you don't beleive me, close your left eye and try to merge left. I get to the ER and the nurse gives me an "EYE CHART" to read. I told her, you don't understand, I can't even see the wall that the "EYE CHART" is on. Well she called in the Opthamologist on call. My vision slowly started to come back after about 1 1/2 hours after the incident. The Opthamologist examines my eye and tells me, I have a BAD RETINAL BLEED. About 25% of my eyeball filled up with blood. The good news is that it shouldn't get higher than 25%. However, he wanted me to go home (with someone else driving of course) and have my wife monitor my blood level in my eye. If it went beyond a certain level in my eye, I needed to have surgery to repair the blood vessel leaking. More bad news.... He told me that I needed to take a whole week off from work and both eyes needed to be blindfolded so to minimize any eye movement from the left eye. Reason? In about 30% of the cases such as mine, the blood vessel BURSTS and we would then have a medical emergency. So his strict instructions were, complete and total bed rest with my eyes completely blind folded for an entire week.

Bottom line: 3 months after the injury, the same doctor examines my left eye for a complete check up. My vision was now a remarkable 20-15, it improved!!!!! I asked, "what's with that Doc?" He said, that I invented a new form of Lasix Eye Surgery. A new version that he will not even bother to publish. Smile We laughed and he told me to always be carefull. Yeah, yeah... But I knew I dodged a bullet.

So the tale from above, I can not stress enough to everyone to minimally wear safety glasses, and a hat with a brim. Over time like I said, you develop a 6th sense. The cracks I do now when I practice have over hundreds of hours invested in them. However, whenever I am learning a new crack, on go the glasses and hat. In fact, if you ever get Mike Murphy tapes, you see him wearing the glasses and hat. And he has been cracking ever since he could walk!
Thanks Darth Indiana for sharing. Every once in awhile this happens and it's a good reminder to be careful.

Much, much worse... but a happy ending for me. From that point on, I story board all my whip cracking. I visualize the whole crack. Over time, I developed a 6th sense of where that tip was at all times. The slightest doubt - I bail out of the routine and cover. But please read that entire post from that thread.
Last edited by Sergei on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Good lord! :o

Talk about a close call. I think that's the first time I've seen a pic of someone come that close to taking their eye out with a whip.

You're VERY lucky. :wink:

Maybe this is how Old Indy lost his eye on the Young Indiana Jones show! :lol:
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Ouch!! Glad you're OK. Get that seen to.

I've seen a cow's hide get cut with a whip on a cattle station during a muster - I didn't do it by the way - I saw a stockman do it.

I've also seen thick bottles get broken by a whipcrack. Dangerous!
Mr. Kent
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Kent »

Jeez...That is too close. Glad you can still see. The sad thing is I have eye protection that I bought 2 years ago and have never worn it. I guess its time I do :shock: To be honest though, it's kinda cool. Not many people have scars on their face from a whip, so embrace it I guess. What type of crack were you "trying" to do?
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

Wow dude - that ***** - looks um - bloody
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

Thanks for the concern guys.
This was probably the single most painful thing i've done to myself to date. I've lashed myself numerous times in the past, and even drawn blood once, but never anything like this.

BTW borton, is that size better, or should i make it still smaller?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

When I first started whipcraking my wife used to make fun of me for wearing safety goggles, but I'm glad I wore them...I know they saved my eyeball a few times.

xoxo

Louie
http://www.bullwhips.org
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Why didn´t you hit your chin ?
Sorry man, no jokes about this topic, I hope you recover from this accident as fast as possible :!:
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

You really did get lucky! I've hit myself across the face a few times, but never made more than a little red mark that went away within the hour.

I always found it difficult to wear regular safety glasses or bulky goggles when practicing new tricks because they obstruct your peripheral vision. Then one day I got the crazy idea to try my skydive goggles. They're actually perfect for practicing with a whip! Their entire purpose is to not take away or distort any part of your vision, but still protect your eyes.

If anybody's interested, you can find some online here...
http://www.jumptown.skydivestore.com/ge ... gi?Goggles&
The first three they have listed are fairly cheap and comfortable.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

hmmm... skydiving goggles.
my dad skydives; maybe i'll ask to borrow a pair from him.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

lucky, lucky, lucky......i guess you'll take that lash and run as it could have been much worse.

i typically practice with sunglasses and a ballcap.....it's kind of amazing how useful a ballcap's "bill" is when putting some distance between your face and the fall/popper.

i'm glad you didn't do any permanent damage.

cheers
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Also, a pair of shooting glasses are good too - You can get them at any sporting goods/hunting/shooting store for $9.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

Indiana G wrote:lucky, lucky, lucky......i guess you'll take that lash and run as it could have been much worse.

i typically practice with sunglasses and a ballcap.....it's kind of amazing how useful a ballcap's "bill" is when putting some distance between your face and the fall/popper.

i'm glad you didn't do any permanent damage.

cheers
i know it. the brim of my fedora has saved me from many an ill-performed crack. actually it used to have a bound edge, and the whip split the cloth, so now it's more SA.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks Darth, that size is fine. So are you going to tell us what crack you where attempting to do, when it went so horribly wrong?

I use a pair of clear wrap around safty goggles, that I picked up at Home Depot for 8 bucks.
There isn’t a noticeable distortion from the lenses, they arnt too bulky like alot of safty goggles and fit close to the face which I like. I'll admit i don't always wear them like i should and usually I’ll just wear high impact/shatterproof plastic sunglasses when I am outside cracking.

Next time be more careful :wink:

Dan
Last edited by BullWhipBorton on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

BullWhipBorton wrote:So are you going to tell us what crack you where attempting to do, when it went so horribly wrong?

Dan
The term escapes me at the moment. I swung the whip over my head counter-clockwise, then when it got to about 2 oclock, i flicked my wrist for the crack. I've done it many times and never got hit before.
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

I think you talk about overhead ;)
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Hey thanks for the safety posts. I'm still waiting for my first whip. I think I'll go ahead and order one of these as well.
Jedinizar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jedinizar »

After reading all this posts specially the one from @Sergei.. I'm really afraid to test my First 10ft Whip that I'll get within the next 2 Weeks.

Are sunglasses protection enough for my eyes? Can the whip actually break the glasses and injure my eyes throw it??? Or do I rally need a Professional safety goggles???
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

I wouldn't trust sunglasses. It can shatter the lens.

Safety goggles are cheap. You can find them at Walmart, HomeDepot, etc.. $5 or less.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The brim of my hat has saved my face from taking a few good whacks in the past, but eye protection is always a must. I'm very glad this wasn't one of those "I put my eye out" kind of posts.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

wow, makes a good story but geez, that ***...
Mr. Kent
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Kent »

A welder's helmet works well :idea: Or Darth Vader's mask...
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

aren't they the same thing?

Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Do you have an after pic ? I would like to see how it has healed. :wink:
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

it hasn't healed yet; it's still scabbed over, but the swelling has subsided enough that i can almost fully open my eye. i'll post another pic when i get home.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

meant to post this yesterday, but the batteries in the camera were dead and i didn't have spares.

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Yeah, That’s gotta be a fun one to explain to the friends and co-workers.
"um, um. Yes I said a bullwhip :oops:"

Dan
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

I would have said, I have taken up "ultimate cage fighting". That would get their attention.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

the really fun part is after they ask why i was practicing with a bullwhip, and i, with a straight face, say i'm the X and my GF is the X.

[mod edit - this is a family friendly site]
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

WOW! I wonder if someone would post a picture of what happens when you forget to set the safety on a Webley and shoot your finger off!! :shock:
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

It's unlikely the Webley will hit the target. I wouldn't worry too much. :lol:
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Ho :shock:
That looks like you won´t forget this happening for along time :?
Make the best of it and get well soon :!: :wink:
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Just like whips, Webleys don't have safeties! :whip:

Be carefull and stay safe! :lol:
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

Darth Indiana wrote:meant to post this yesterday, but the batteries in the camera were dead and i didn't have spares.

wow didnt realize you couldnt open your eye (or the bruising), hows the eye now?
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

YIKES!! I hope you're doing well and healing nicely.

You've heard many times already to wear proper protection when whip cracking, but always remember ...chicks dig scars.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Ouch is all I can say sir!

This reminded me of my early trials and tribulations with my first whip, back when I was 11, a long, long time ago now.

I never cut myself and thank goodness never in the face, especially since it never dawned on me at the time to wear protective eyewear... But I do remember hitting myself in the small of the back with the whip and it taking a moment before the pain reached my brain (I knew it was coming, but I wasn't prepared for when it arrived...) -No kidding, it felt like a hot poker had been jammed in my flesh! I droped the whip and with clenched teeth, tensed up in a pose that must have looked like the devil from Fantasia! I had never felt ANYTHING that painful in my then short life! Completely immobilizing in both mind and body. So I do understand (I think we all have similar stories here).

Thankfully I can now have fun throwing whips in shorts and tshirts and have not gotten hurt in years and years. But the learning curve was painful!
Cheers (and be bloody careful mate),

Franco
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Good Lord!! :shock: :shock:

I don't think I've ever seen one like that before...! How are you doing now?? I didn't realise this thread was so recent. Holy cow, dude... that was a CLOSE one!

Shane
Earl Weber
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Earl Weber »

Man, I only ever got myself in the ear, and I thought that hurt! That first pic is just priceless though, way to roll with the punches.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Man thats gonna be an awesome scar!!! I've never been concerned about hitting my face. My first real whip, at age 11, was 8 foot. Then My first high end indy whip was a 10 footer. I went outside immediately and started cracking it, wearing shorts, flip flops and a short sleeve shirt. I dunno...I guess I'm more adventurous than most.

The worst facial injury for me was a flathead screwdeiver in my left eye...lol. Got lucky and no real major damage.

Just take your time guys and gals and start SLOW!!! You're probably not gonna be doing overhead cracks your first time out. I taught my 15 yo nephew on my 10 footer and then bought him his very own 8 footer from Adam. He's a natural and has made up some of his own cracks. Just go slow and practice your form without the whip a few times before you try new cracks.
Kali Yuga
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kali Yuga »

:shock: Get well soon, Darth Indiana!