My New Indy 4 Whip from Aussie Saddle Co just arrived today!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My New Indy 4 Whip from Aussie Saddle Co just arrived today!

Post by Solo »

Well I need my head examined for buying this, But it was a spur of the moment descision because they had 1 and only 1 left in stock, They said that they would not get any more until about 2-3 months! I just took it out of the box and I will try to figure out how to post pics on this site, I have never done it on this site before! Once I figure it out! I will take any pics or email pics to whoever is trying to study this whip![/img][/url]
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

I am at work right now and don't have the time to try and figure this out! If someelse wants to post my pics I can email them to you!
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

pm sent
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

I just sent them to Bernadocdc! He said he could post them for me!
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

All pm's replied to!
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

And here they are:

Beautiful looking whip! Love the colour of it!
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

Thanks, for posting them crowe07!

Yeah I think the color is great! I was very nervous because the picture that Aussie Saddle Co has does not do the whip justice IMO!
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

hmmmm... the knots and thong aren't different colors.

Louie
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

I have a question that might be a little off topic! With this whip today, I received a small tub of Joesph Lyddy Dubbin. I have never heard of this stuff before! All I have ever used on my whips is Pecards dressing! Has anyone ever used this Dubbin stuff before?

Dave
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

were they the whip makers from indy 4? i thought david morgan was...
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

I'm not sure if they have officially annouced who the whip makers is for this movie!
Last edited by Solo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

mike murphy uses the Jay-el, I got a can of from him, but I've never cracked it open. from what I've read Jay-El is more common in australia than pecards (but don't take my word for it).

xoxo

Louie
http://www.bullwhips.org
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Solo,

I'm sorry for not posting the pics, for some reason I still can't access my email account :(

Glad crowe07 posted them, I was really eager to see your whip! Like Louie said, the knots are the same color as the rest fo the whip. I wonder if Terry was aware or remembers that the knots of the whips supplied for Indy 4 were darker. Perhaps he doesn't care! :-)

How does that whip compare in handling to your long handled Jacka?

One last thing: would you be so kind to measure the distance from the base of the handle to the top of the ring knot? (in inches if possible).

Thanks and congrats, the whip looks great.

Bernardo
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

Bernardoc, I just pm'd you! and I will measure it in a few minutes for you!

Dave
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

It looks like it's 7"5/8

Bernardoc, I also took a pic of the measurement and I will email it to you!

Dave
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

As far as who made the movie whips, check the sticky at the top of this page, as well as the KotCS threads :D
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Thanks a lot Dave! Really appreciated it. Thank you also for emailing the pic.

So now we know for sure the handle on the KOTCS whip is 8 inches long. One less detail to worry about. The ring knot looks thinner than the ones Terry ties on his long handled bulls. A comparison pic of it next to your 11" Jacka showing the handles and knots would be awesome!

Cheers,

Bernardo
Last edited by Bernardodc on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

louiefoxx wrote:hmmmm... the knots and thong aren't different colors.

Louie
is there any way that might be a post-Terry kinda thing...maybe to make the whip look older? I dunno

I kinda like the look of this one better than with the darker knots...
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

It looks great. Interesting how from the ring knot down to the bottom knot looks darker and shinier than where the thong starts. Could this be down to shellac? I love the chunky look of this thing! If ever there was to be a whip made of chocolate, this would be how it'd look.
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Its a beautiful whip, pricey however....it almost a morgan! still, it will be worth every cent im sure!
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Ooo...pretty. I do like the diffrent colored knots as seen in every picture of this whip as related to the movie. Not a big fan of the change. Because no, it's not a Morgan. Seems to have lost a bit of it's personality in this incarnation. But that's just me.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very nice Solo, Congratulations and thanks for getting the images up for us. I think that is a beautiful looking Bullwhip, Have you tried it out yet?

The Joesph Lyddy Dubbin wax is Australian leather dressing. A lot of people use it, and it’s not bad but if you’re used to using Pecards, stick with Pecards.

Toldog07 check here to see about who made what. viewtopic.php?t=24551

Even though alot of the pictures that we've seen of the movie bullwhips appeared to have darker knots, with several of them the knots where the same color as the rest of the whip, just like Solos.

Dan
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Wow, that's a really long cracker! I've never seen one that long before. Looks to be about half the lenth of the fall, yes?
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I still can't figure out who made it? Did Terry Jacka make these for Aussiesaddle?
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Wow, that's a really long cracker!
I hadn't noticed that until your post. I've never seen a cracker that long. I'm interested in hearing how it works (or not).
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Booyah! Very CS.

Kudos!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I still can't figure out who made it? Did Terry Jacka make these for Aussiesaddle?
Yes, Terry Jacka makes them for the Australian Saddle Co.

Regarding the popper length, Terry supplies his poppers like that. While they are too long for my personal taste, they are made from polypropylene twine which wears down fast faster then the nylon a lot of us use. The extra length extends the life of the popper, when the fluff wears down all you have to do is cut the popper back a bit and your ready to go again.

Dan
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

BullWhipBorton wrote:
Yes, Terry Jacka makes them for the Australian Saddle Co.

Regarding the popper length, Terry supplies his poppers like that. While they are too long for my personal taste, they are made from polypropylene twine which wears down fast faster then the nylon a lot of us use. The extra length extends the life of the popper, when the fluff wears down all you have to do is cut the popper back a bit and your ready to go again.

Dan
But I was under the impression that the Indy 4 whips where not to be sold until the fourth movie was out?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Whoops! :D Dontcha hate it when they send stuff out early! Now RUN, before Lucasfilm's lawyers catch you!!! :D *cue Raiders march*
Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Solo »

I took this whip into my company garage and cracked it. It cracks nice, I like it, but id does appear to more "nose heavy" comapared to my other Jacka with the 11" handle. I have an 8ft and 10ft Morgan's and those aren't nose heavy like this. I'll have to bring my morgan's into work and do a comaprrison or wait till spring! I hate winter! :x
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Here's some more pics that Dave kindly sent me. They are great comparison shots. They show the handle next to a measuring tape, and the others compare the knots of the standard Jacka (11"handled) versus those on the KOTCS whip. The ring knot is indeed slightly slimmer on the later. The handle knob is slightly taller on the Indy 4 whip, although this may not be intentional.

Another little detail is that the whip Jacka whip bought from DM came with a nylon popper. Perhaps DM requests Terry to send his whips with nylon poppers. :-k

Anyway, the pics: :-)

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Dutch_jones wrote:But I was under the impression that the Indy 4 whips where not to be sold until the fourth movie was out?
Dutch, The situation with the bullwhips was different then with the Hats and Jackets, Which aren’t being sold until the movies released. It’s been posted on here for months now that the bullwhips where available for order. Since they were contracted through a 3rd party type deal, apperntly neither Terry, nor the Australian Stock Saddle Co. had any obligation to Lucas to hold off making or selling them before the film was released.

Bernardo Thanks for posting the new pictures from Dave. A couple of the Terry Jacka whips I’ve gotten in the past also came with the regular black nylon poppers too, but the ones I knew came right from Terry as a special order had the long poly-pro style popper. I figured David Morgan or Western Stage props might have switched poppers with their own before they sent the whips out to the customers. Next time you talk to David or Mark, you should ask them.

ATB

Dan