Grooves on the strap and belt!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

K on the run
Vendor

Grooves on the strap and belt!

Post by K on the run »

For a very long time Adventurebilt has been looking high and low for belt buckles and bag strap buckles.
We gave up on the bag strap buckles and made our own but the quest for the gun belt buckle was never abandoned completely.
And now the quest is finally over.
We found not only the gun belt buckle but the gentleman that made the actual belts and bag straps for Raiders.

We of cause asked him about the grooves in the bag strap and........ He said that there was indeed grooves in the straps but and as he said "I should know, I made them!." He then said that "It just don't look finished with out grooves."
Well in all the excitement we forgot to ask about grooves in the gun belt so we had to call him up again. He told us that there was grooves in the gun belt as well. He assured us that it was the case but that they could be difficult to see because of the heavy distressing the belts was given.
He also told us that the gun belt buckle it still in production but the bag strap buckle is no more available (lucky we have that covered already)

So ladies and gentlemen what does all this mean?
Well, Adventurebilt Leather will be making bag straps and gun belts some time in the future. We now have the gun belt buckles, "all" we need to do is sample leather in the correct quality and color.
If you have any knowledge in these matters please post it here or contact me (I need al the help I can get :wink: )
Oh yes, did I mention the bag strap buckle we make :wink:
You can see it here:
viewtopic.php?t=26002

Best Regards,
Kim
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Sweet!! :D

high regrds
Holt
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

That's awesome K! So are you thinking of getting him involved in the business? It could be really good to have the original maker of the Raider strap on board the AB train. :junior: -IJ
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

will you be making raiders gun belts with the whip holder attached?
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Wow.... :shock: From Marc telling me in an e-mail your guys were trying to find who made the gun belt and it would figure to me he would have made the strap too. This is great news K, just an awesome job to find the guy who made the belts for Raiders. :clap: :clap: You guys deserve it for all the hard work you put into looking down these people. Did he tell you what the kind of leather was used on the gun belts? That is great that we finally debunked the grooves and that there is grooves on the belts in Raiders. I can't believe he still makes the buckles for the belts, that is just awesome. Now I just can't wait to get my AB gun belt and bag strap. :D Outstanding work K, keep up the good work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

IndianaChris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

GREAT news, K!
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

It really is good the amount of time you guys have put into this. Why am I betting a few more months and we will be able to buy a completely SA Indy outfit from Adventurebilt! Im waiting on my shirt, buckle and holster to arrive... I cant wait!
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

That's fantastic news, K! Did you show him one of your bag-strap buckles to see how well he thought they compared with the originals?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Good to see you announced it!! I was blown away when Marc called me last week and said you guys had found the original maker. I am still amazed that Marc found us the right ribbon!!! I think we need to name you guys Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson!!! The detective work has been indeed noteworthy. :tup: Fedora
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

This is indeed news. Wow the original maker? He's British I guess! Well keep us update on this!
Marc this is another of your success... after the ribbon now this. They are going to cry to have you back if you will really leave your job to make hats for a living :shock:
If I was your boss I would increase your wage :lol:

This also settle definitely and finally the discussion about grooves... which sometimes attempts to come up again.

Bravo Marc and bravo Kim.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Marc this is another of your success
Well, thanks Erri, but it's NOT another of MY success. It's much more a group success :wink:
If I was your boss I would increase your wage
-Which he denied as late as yesterday :evil: So, if I ever get to the point to make enough money on this to actually MAKE a living from making hats etc., it certainly helps taking a decision :wink:

Regards,

Marc
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Well I managed to get my arms down again so I can type :lol:
I'll address the different Q's below.
So are you thinking of getting him involved in the business?
Nope, he has his own business and he's not interested.
will you be making raiders gun belts with the whip holder attached?
I'm not sure, I have a strong aversion to useless things and the SA whip holder it just such a thing IMO. I'm still considering though, and trying to finalise a design that looks SA but also works.
Did he tell you what the kind of leather was used on the gun belts?
Nope, the leather industry changes constantly so the original source is long gone.
GREAT news, K!
Yes isn't it. Want to help with the details ? :wink:
Did you show him one of your bag-strap buckles
Tried to, but he couldn't see it..... through the phone :lol: :wink:
It's much more a group success
I'm happy to be a part of that group :tup:

Best regards,
Kim
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Guys, I'm astonished. I mean, you found a source which produced a small costume piece, for a movie which was shot 27 years ago. I'm just interested, how did you found out about him? Google-search? very unlikely. Reminds me of an CIA investigation. :lol:

Congrats to you guys... Can't wait so see some pictures of the finished product!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Kim did this guy work also on the other 2 films? Just curious

Marc wrote:
If I was your boss I would increase your wage
-Which he denied as late as yesterday :evil:
Have you tried pointing your S&W at his head? :lol: :lol:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Thanks for your answers, K.

Okay, how about this one: did he keep any original examples of his Raiders work for himself, and does he still have them?
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Satipo wrote:Thanks for your answers, K.

Okay, how about this one: did he keep any original examples of his Raiders work for himself, and does he still have them?
Interesting question Satipo, I'll ask him the next time.

-K
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Kim does he have the right metal keeper for the gunbelt?
Redbeard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Redbeard »

;0

Congratulations guys you rock!

Other then that Marc you don't tell me anything anymore.... :cry: :wink:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Man I'm sorry Red :? I'm really a bit overloaded here currently. Working on four CS Fedoras to have three of them in the background when doing the interview on Sunday, then keeping track of what the construction worker has to do in order to get the hat shop renovated til Sunday :wink: answering between 30-50 e-mails a day, ordering new shirts while still missing to send quite some out yet (my hearfelt apologies guys - next week will be MUCH better), checking some AWESOME holsters I received from K today, keeping in touch with my felter (I'm about to order grey rawbodies soon), pushing my sweatband maker, checking with Steve and K on the finals of the logo, working 40 hours a week on my daily job and trying to answer calls... :? I get up 6:30 every morning and work to 11 in the evening. Last time I called you up was from my car on my way to the mail. Please accept my apologies, but I just ain't got the time. And getting e-mails from K at half past midnight tells the same story.

Regards,

Marc
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wow Marc you are busy man. How do you do that without pulling your hair out?? Your doing an outstanding job Marc and your doing the best you can. 6:30am-11pm, that is like non-stop work. Keep up the good work Marc and you too K and Steve. All three of you deserve an appreciation for what all you do. You guys put all your energy into making hats or holsters, belts, or even tracking down the guy who made the belts for Raiders. That is just awesome. You guys really put a lot of craftmanship and really work hard into what you do. :tup: I appreciate all you do for us COW members and Indiana Jones fans. You guys love these films just as much as we do. Thanks for all you do guys, job well done finding the gunbelt maker and hopefully more to come on this gunbelt. :clap: :clap: :clap:

IndianaChris
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Detectives extraordinar indeed!

I've always been a groove supporter. :D Glad to hear it's been decided for sure.

Man, what do we have left to argue about? The gray/brown hat is dead, now this. Socks? (dark brown not black) :D
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

My own congratulations to the entire team! :) :D

But I know I am not alone when I ask this:

Will this gentlemen whom you located be revealed on CoW as a possible vendor? Or will AB start to incorporate his buckles into... dare I say it? Brand new AB gunbelts!!!! :shock:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I don't know what brought me to bring this up, but I am obsessed with this gunbelt. Look again at when Indy puts Marion in the hay when right after he gets attacked, there is a close up of Indy reaching for his whip and his whip holder is attached to the gunbelt. Here is a screen capture:

I am not sure if it is the late hour or why I just got so obsessed with the gunbelt. Any help on getting screen capture software would be awesome, thanks. Maybe Marc or K can comment on this, I want this belt to be as close to SA as possible. Maybe the guy who made the belts can figure this out as well. Are you guys going to offer the whip holder attached like we see in the film??

Here a link of the same pic, but larger for those eyes that need to see better.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/243 ... c815_b.jpg

IndianaChris
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

What is in Indy's right hand pocket?
Is that a watch or something?
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Neolithic wrote:What is in Indy's right hand pocket?
He's just happy to see you :wink:
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Tron7960 wrote:
I knew someone would say that... :lol: :roll:
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

I'm not sure if we're going to offer belts with the whip holder attached. I would rather offer them as a set and then people can fix the holder to the belt if they desire. It's difficult to get the whip holder attached at the exact right spot. We're all different and the preferred place fir the whip is not always the same plus of cause we're not Harrison Ford so the placement he had in Raiders might not work for us.

Best regards,
K

PS. We're still working on this but things aren't going as fast as we would like right now.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

The whip holder isn't permanently attached to the gunbelt, is it? Isn't it just a loop?
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Treadwell wrote:The whip holder isn't permanently attached to the gunbelt, is it? Isn't it just a loop?
Actually from above picture, it has to be because there is something in his belt, look closely above the whip, there is small silver snap there on the belt, so yes it is permanently attached, look at other parts in SOC scene, you can see the holder wide open in some cases and it is attached, I just was trying to get a close-up of it.

K, that sounds like a great idea, how would we though attach the whip holder to the belt ourselves?? Maybe you guys over at AB could give different options for people, maybe some that don't want it attached, and some belts that have a whip holder attached?? I know you guys are busy and its not going as fast as you would like, but I just wanted to see what you guys were going to do for the whip holder since from that shot, it is attached to the gunbelt. Can't wait though, good things come through with patience and I know it takes time. :wink: :D

IndianaChris
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Tron7960 wrote:
:lol: Ok, I kind of was wondering that as well. It looks like a watch it could be a COW Challenge Coin. :wink: I am not sure all I know is that is one huge pocket.

IndianaChris
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Neolithic wrote:
What is in Indy's right hand pocket?
Carmex? :) He is in the desert, after all. :tup:

Ron