HJ from Swaine Adeney brigg

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

HJ from Swaine Adeney brigg

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Ok Still researching, although it looks like a Magnolias, followed with an order to Steve for a Custom AB.

But..
As Magnolias is a HJ, and SAB sells the HJ... My question is (and there is not much difference in cost to the UK so I am not picking on price... )
1. How are these hats different? (Yes I know Steve does do the bash).
2. If you have had one your feelings?
3. Ribbon authentic?
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Well...

1. Steve doesn't just do the bash, he builds these from the ground up. So it's all hand done as opposed to manufactured. :D

2. Never had one from SAB but for some opinions on the IM/AB/HJ see here: viewtopic.php?t=25584

3. No, the SAB does not have the authentic ribbon. Only Steve and Marc have sourced the authentic ribbon used, and Steve uses this ribbon when putting togeather the IM/AB/HJ. :wink:

Johnny
Last edited by Johnny Fedora on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

That and the felt of the SAB HJ is extremely unstable, so it will taper really quickly if you end up in a rain storm. Fedora, by comparison, goes out of his way to stabilize the felt (using methods I don't really understand) and as a result, from what I hear, his hats are much more taper resistant. :junior: -IJ

Ps. It's Magnoli, not Magnolia. No "a" at the end.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

dyslexic typing.. :lol: I type too fast...

thanks guys,
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

IndianaJones wrote:That and the felt of the SAB HJ is extremely unstable, so it will taper really quickly if you end up in a rain storm. Fedora, by comparison, goes out of his way to stabilize the felt (using methods I don't really understand) and as a result, from what I hear, his hats are much more taper resistant. :junior: -IJ
True. And some of those stablization steps are mentioned in the other thread I linked to above. Anyway the MC/HJ is without question more stable and less prone to taper, giving it a much longer life span.

Johnny

p.s. Good lord, I've turned into this board's resident Magnoli Clothiers/Delk/Herbert Johnson fedora cheerleader. :shock: Image
Last edited by Johnny Fedora on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You're one of the few who has actually had one in hand, let alone owned one, my friend. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I've owned several hats that were made by the original maker, Mr. Swales, before discovering the Magnoli, which to me was almost like finding the Holy Grail.

I don't know why, but none of the earlier hats looked quite right and nothing I tried, including having one reblocked, could get them to look quite right (like the Raiders hat, I mean-- they were great for TOD or LC).

If you are looking for the best Raiders replica on the planet, your quest ends with the Magnoli/AB/HJ. It's a fabulous hat.

Jack
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

at

Post by BendingOak »

...... And it took mr. Delk to get it there.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Michaelson wrote:You're one of the few who has actually had one in hand, let alone owned one, my friend. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
At least it's a good (and exclusive) fan club to be a member of. :wink:
BendingOak wrote:...... And it took mr. Delk to get it there.
Hear, Here!

Johnny
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

Hello everybody... now with some pics.

I have both hats - an HJ of 2005 from SAB (on the left) and an IM/AB.
I took some pictures so we can see the blockshape.
In my opinion this is the main visual difference besides the bow - and the craftsmanship for sure.

The color, lining, sweat and crest are the same.
The structure of the ribbon is similar, but the IM/AB is a bit darker.

The felt of the IM/AB is much softer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hp.images/S ... comparison

Cheers
HP
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

thanks all.