Lauren's 8ft KotCS Bullwhip w/pics

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

Lauren's 8ft KotCS Bullwhip w/pics

Post by LemonLauren »

I couldn't help it - When Paul made his version of the KotCS bullwhip, I had to give it a try too.

Because I didn't have anyone requesting that the handle knot be more square, I chose to give it a little more of a traditional Indy shape (though not completely - it's still a little squared). I chose to skip the shellac on this whip too - just personal preference on my part. I suppose I could always add it later if I want. Also, Paul is ordering some brown dye to dye white falls, so I plan on replacing this white fall with a brown one once he gets that in.

This is actually my first ever whip over 5ft, and this one is an 8ft. You all can judge from the pictures how you think it looks, but I have to tell you I'm surprised and amazed with how it cracks. The weight is distributed well out into the thong, so the whip really did all the cracking for me - I felt more like I was cracking a 6ft than an 8ft.

Anyhow, here's the pics.

-Lauren

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Thanks for sharing with us. It looks like you did a good job. How long have you been making whips? I'm starting my secound one soon.[/u]
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Beautiful job Lauren. It looks great !!
Jim
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Lauren,

Awesome job! Keep up the good work....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

That is a beautiful whip Lauren! I much prefer the more rounded turks head that you put on the whip.
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

Nice job :D

Looks nice tight plaiting, good knots too...well done you

Tony
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

That is a wonderful whip, really KotCS style :clap:
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Lauren, I think you did a very good Job. The taper looks great, the plaiting looks even and tight, and I don’t see any spiraling in the seams. It looks like a good solid whip, so I am not at all surprised to hear that lays out and cracks as well as you describe. If it was shellaced, i'd like it even better then Pauls version, but :-$ dont tell him I said that :wink:.

Dan
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses! I am really very excited about how well my first 8ft turned out, and I'm just as excited that so many of you liked the looks of it too. But as happy as I am with it, I of course have to give Paul a lot of credit. So many whipmakers, both new ones and veterans of the art, were all self-taught. But I've gotten to work with Paul Nolan for quite a while now, and he is not only a great whipmaker but also an exceptional teacher.

As every whipmaker I'm sure agrees, there's always room for improvement. But it's that constant striving for the nearly unattainable "100% perfect whip" that's so ridiculously addictive about whipmaking to me. I try to work out how to braid patterns in my head as I'm falling asleep at night, I practice tying cleaner or more complex knots on chair legs while I watch TV in the evenings. It's crazy! I really appreciate the constructive feedback and positive comments from everybody on this post, and that so many people are active on this section of the forum in general.

Thanks again everyone!

Lauren
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

LemonLauren wrote: I try to work out how to braid patterns in my head as I'm falling asleep at night, I practice tying cleaner or more complex knots on chair legs while I watch TV in the evenings.
Bless you :D

Keep up the good work, and congratulations on the 8 footer, it's quite daunting the first time you have twelve strings 15ish foot long dangling in front of you, I remember it well :clap: :clap: :clap: give my regards to Paul....

Tony