Official Factory Produced KotCS AdventureBilt Fedora (Henry)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
DrClemente
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DrClemente »

I very much appreciate all the information on this thread. I don't know if Fedora or anyone else can answer this question, but what will be the brim size and crown height on this new Indy? Thanks.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

As far as I understand the situation, there will be no specifics on the Crystal Skull hat untill the film opens. :wink:

Johnny
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Johnny Fedora wrote:As far as I understand the situation, there will be no specifics on the Crystal Skull hat untill the film opens. :wink:

Johnny
So if I am waiting to buy a KOTCS fedora instead of a Federation to wear at the midnight showing, I should probably go with the federation one?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

It would make sense to arrange shipping to have them arrive the day of the opening.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

what will be the brim size and crown height on this new Indy?
The exact same as on the CS Fedoras that we made by hand :wink:
It would make sense to arrange shipping to have them arrive the day of the opening.
Good idea Lee. Thanks.

Regards,

Marc
DrClemente
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DrClemente »

Marc wrote:
what will be the brim size and crown height on this new Indy?
The exact same as on the CS Fedoras that we made by hand :wink:

But what are those? Yeah, I'm really a Grail Recovery Volunteer!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Naaaa, c'mone. Remember all the fun we had over the years trying to figure the dimensions that Swales used on the Raiders hats? - Now who am I to go ahead and spoil that for you... [-X

Regards,

Marc
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Its Lee!!!!! Haven't seen you post here in a great while!!!

I still have that beautiful Webley (sp?) I got from you in Sacramento. Have never fired it but it is lookin' good with that holster n' all.

Still too have that picture of us grabbing the Ark together. Do you have a copy of that somewhere?
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Any updates on this?!?!?!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah how's this coming anyways? If I ever manage to get a job I'll need to decide whether to get an Akubra or one of these factory produced Adventurebilts. Are they going to be available before Indy 4 comes out? And I assume these hats are still going to be very similar to the Raiders look Adventurebilt has been going for, right? Oh yeah, yet another question that may have already been answered further back. Any idea what they're gonna run me?

Can't wait to get a job and get one of these hats.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

And I assume these hats are still going to be very similar to the Raiders look Adventurebilt has been going for, right?
If I'm correct, AB will offer both Raiders and Crystal Skull styles.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

indy89 wrote:
And I assume these hats are still going to be very similar to the Raiders look Adventurebilt has been going for, right?
If I'm correct, AB will offer both Raiders and Crystal Skull styles.
That would be supremely awesome.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I'm seriously dying to get one of these when available. I'm holding out on an Akbura Fed for one of these bad boys.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Actually, the CS hat IS a Raiders hat. I believe Steve and Marc used the same block that they use for the Raiders hat. I believe these hats will either come CS styled or open crowned so you can style it yourself. ;)

I would love to see this get off the ground and I hope it does. As you can see the trailer is REALLY bringing a lot of attention to Indy already and within the next few months would be the best time to get something like this out there......I could see a lot of people wanting to own an Indy hat before the movie hits so they can wear it to the theater.........

I just HOPE they take them off inside. I want to be able to see the film without having to look over a bunch of Fedora's! :lol:
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

If I'm able to get one before opening day....I'll be wearing to the theater for the midnight showing!!! I really like the KOTCS bash so I'm not too picky!!
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

BTW.....I'll have my tax money in exactly 1 week!!! I'M READY :D
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Well... to be honest we stuck in negotiations (I slightly have a feeling that they're trying to - pardon me - screw us from the factory). Seems like pre-creased will be a LOT more difficult then originally planned, so we have now to decide whether open crown is an option or not etc.... The ribbon hasn't been replicated neither yet :evil: We'll keep at it, but I can hardly understand how they can care so little about getting the project up and running.

Regards,

Marc
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Marc wrote:Well... to be honest we stuck in negotiations (I slightly have a feeling that they're trying to - pardon me - screw us from the factory). Seems like pre-creased will be a LOT more difficult then originally planned, so we have now to decide whether open crown is an option or not etc.... The ribbon hasn't been replicated neither yet :evil: We'll keep at it, but I can hardly understand how they can care so little about getting the project up and running.

Regards,

Marc
Well no pressure. 8) I know you guys work like crazy. Hope that works out for you eventually. It would be good for everybody.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

I believe Steve and Marc used the same block that they use for the Raiders hat.
I could be wrong Pitfall but I seem to recall reading somewhere here that there was a different block used for the CS hat. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Julian K,

Yep, I read that last night browsing the forum. According to what I read the CS block is protected meaning you can't purchase it but the other older versions can be purchased for your hat.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

JulianK wrote:
I believe Steve and Marc used the same block that they use for the Raiders hat.
I could be wrong Pitfall but I seem to recall reading somewhere here that there was a different block used for the CS hat. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Yep its a different block. Fedora posted this on numerous occassions. The raiders block they use is available for purchase from the company but the CS block isn't.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Marc wrote:Well... to be honest we stuck in negotiations (I slightly have a feeling that they're trying to - pardon me - screw us from the factory). Seems like pre-creased will be a LOT more difficult then originally planned, so we have now to decide whether open crown is an option or not etc.... The ribbon hasn't been replicated neither yet :evil: We'll keep at it, but I can hardly understand how they can care so little about getting the project up and running.

Regards,

Marc

Yeah, that does sound very odd considering the new trailer just kicked the buzz on this film into overdrive. Everyone, it seems , is getting a bad case "Indy fever"... :lol:

I would think making them open crowned would be easier than producing them styled. :?

I really wish you both the best of luck with this.......I HOPE you guys can get this all worked out before the premiere of the new movie. :D
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah open-crowned would be fine by me. Once I get the hang of it, shaping it would be the easier part.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Yes, go with the open crowns. This way you can make the hat your own by bashing it by yourself. Not everybody likes the CS bash... so I´ve heard. :shock:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, I think it would be fine for it to be open crown. :junior: -IJ
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

I would buy an open crown. An idea would be to include a small, cheap tip sheet, or picture for those of us that would want a KotCS bash though.

My $0.02

-Allen
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Indy1939 wrote:I would buy an open crown. An idea would be to include a small, cheap tip sheet, or picture for those of us that would want a KotCS bash though.

My $0.02

-Allen
Good idea. That would be easy to throw in I'm sure. Or maybe the tip sheet should include tips on shaping it to be like one from any of the Indy movies. Although that might be pushing it. I'd be glad just to get the hat. Hopefully before the premiere in May, but we'll just have to see how things work out.
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

The bashing instructions could also be on the AB web site, maybe a tutorial video?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

offer it open crowned, and also available with an uncut brim, if possible
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Gah! No thanks on that option. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to buy a hat and then have to go and trim the brim to fit my face shape. I don't care how easy it may be for some I'm not looking to spend money on something I'm going to have to go and mess with after I buy it.

Just offer it open crowned with standard specs and sizes like the Akubra's.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I have to second Pitfall on this one. Part of what one pays for in a retail price is the expertise of the manufacturer.

When I get my hat, I want to take it out of the box and wear it with a minimum of fuss. The last thing I'd feel comfortable doing is bashing it myself.

I'm not a hatter; I just like Indy's hat.

Tony
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Uh Tony, Harry was advocating that it should be open-crowned. He just didn't want the brim to be uncut. :junior: -IJ
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Thanks for the correction.

Still, I have to say that I have little interest in doing any significant styling when I get mine. Having tried to muck with some things in the past, I've found that it's better for me to just let the expert do their thing and my only contribution will be the wear-and-tear. :)

Tony
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

It really depends on which part of the market Steve and Marc want to focus on. If it is to deliver an inexpensive, ready made hat to gear-heads and more than casual Indy fans, them offer it open crown. Most of us can shape it ourselves. If they want to tap in the market of those that just want an Indy hat because it is in vogue for a while, then it needs to be pre-shaped. Unless you are a gear-head (one of us) or have worn and styled a fedora before, receiving an open crowned hat might be a turn off. For the average person who wants an Indy hat, they want it to look like the Indy hat right out of the box. They don't want to mess around with it. If it came down to getting an Indy hat that they had to shape themselves or a pre-shaped one, most are going to go for the pre-shaped.
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

I'd buy an open crown because frankly, I'm not a fan of the center dent; make mine diamond!

Any estimates on price? $100 is about as high as I'd go.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

They estimated that the hats might run around $175, I believe.....
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

$175 is worth it for one of these. A fed deluxe is $165.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The only hold up on the factory hat is the ribbon. I reckon our source for the original HJ ribbon is the only ribbon in the world that comes in that color, with the right width. And we will not use that high dollar ribbon on the factory hat. So, we have to hope the factory can source or have it special made for the factory hat. If you notice, the other hatters who make Indy fedoras don't have the right ribbon. The ribbon is very important to this hat. At least for the Raiders fedora and the CS fedora. Since the folks we use have not joined the 21st century, and have no web site, I don't expect this ribbon to be found except if you luck upon it. Like Marc(aka Sherlock Holmes) did. :lol:

So, the hold up is the ribbon. Once that is found, or made, we are set to place an order for several hundred hats, as everything else in in place.

Then of course, I will have to approve the hat. It has to be the best of the factory offerings or all bets are off. The AB name is at stake here. We won't put our name on just ANY factory hat.

If this does not work out, we will just bide our time UNTIL we can get someone to do this for us. Indy is not going away, and with the bonus dvd later on documenting that we did the film hats, we will forever be in the public eye, at least of those interested in our hats. So, I am in no rush, and will not rush up a factory hat just to have one out there quick. Fedora
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Marc also mentioned a few posts back you both were having trouble with them possibly not being able to offer the hat both open crowned and styled. To me it sounded like they would have problems leaving them open crowned.... :? It might be the other way around....I was a little confused...

I agree. There is no need to rush this factory hat. Like you said, Indy isn't going anywhere and neither is the demand for his hat. I think we are all living proof of that. :wink:

If for some reason this deal doesn't work out I'm sure someone else will come along. ;)

We all appreciate both of you going the extra mile to make sure even with the mass market hat that it's well beyond anything else out there at a decent price when it comes to a quality Indy hat. :wink:
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

IndyFan89 wrote:$175 is worth it for one of these. A fed deluxe is $165.
I agree. That would be an amazing price.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Marc also mentioned a few posts back you both were having trouble with them possibly not being able to offer the hat both open crowned and styled. To me it sounded like they would have problems leaving them open crowned.... It might be the other way around....I was a little confused...
Actually the problem would be having them factory creased. It can be done but it is a huge investment to have the metal blocks made that were clones of the open crown hat we creased for the Indy 4 film. And then you have the problem of having to have 2 factory creased hats, the Raiders and the CS. Totally different creases.

So, the only option is to have them made open crown, which would also guarantee the block of the hat is dead on to the handmade ones. It is also cheaper to have them made this way. That means we will have to teach someone how to crease hats and hire them to do so. But anyone can be taught and all he has to do is to be able to read a ruler!

I did not think this would be easy to pull off to begin with, so I am not surprised that there are snafus along the way. And really, the only problem so far is the ribbon sourcing. I am sure that will be solved, as we have top men working on it!! :D Fedora
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Fedora wrote:I am sure that will be solved, as we have top men working on it!! :D Fedora
"Who........."

"Top....men......"

Sorry...I'm a dork and I know thats where you were goin' :P

Can't wait bro!! I'm holding out for one of these!!! Gives me a chance to get my other gear taken care of.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Fedora wrote:
Marc also mentioned a few posts back you both were having trouble with them possibly not being able to offer the hat both open crowned and styled. To me it sounded like they would have problems leaving them open crowned.... It might be the other way around....I was a little confused...
Actually the problem would be having them factory creased. It can be done but it is a huge investment to have the metal blocks made that were clones of the open crown hat we creased for the Indy 4 film. And then you have the problem of having to have 2 factory creased hats, the Raiders and the CS. Totally different creases.

So, the only option is to have them made open crown, which would also guarantee the block of the hat is dead on to the handmade ones. It is also cheaper to have them made this way. That means we will have to teach someone how to crease hats and hire them to do so. But anyone can be taught and all he has to do is to be able to read a ruler!

I did not think this would be easy to pull off to begin with, so I am not surprised that there are snafus along the way. And really, the only problem so far is the ribbon sourcing. I am sure that will be solved, as we have top men working on it!! :D Fedora
Do you think there will be any kind of back order time?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I am sure that will be solved, as we have top men working on it!!
Oh god we're going to end up with the entire supply of Adventurebilt hats locked up in a crate and hidden in some warehouse, aren't we? :lol: :junior: -IJ
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Has there been any more talk of these hats? It seems this thread has been quiet a few days. Just curious if anyone's heard anything.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I'm glad I'm not the only one going crazy with anxiety for one of these new ABs.

I first was about to order an HJ from Magnoli (which I still may do, just 'cause).

Then I heard about the new and improved Fed, which I'm waiting on.

And now I gotta wait on this here new AB.

Whew.

Help!

(Glad I at least have an Akubra to hold me over until........SOMETHING happens!)
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I sure hope they can get these out before May. Even if they could only get one of them out by then.

PS:I'm glad to hear Steve is doign better!
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

WOW this is definitely awesome guys. I love my Fed Deluxe it bashed really nicely and has grown into a great indy hate for me. BUT i do want a AB, but have avoided one because i thought it would make me never wear my Fed anymore. But when these factory hats pull through Ill definitely be jumping on to buy one. Great work getting this going, cant wait! :D
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

Indakin wrote:...i do want a AB, but have avoided one because i thought it would make me never wear my Fed anymore...
:?:

You avoided AB because you were afraid it would be nicer than your Fed, nicer than you deserved somehow? I don't follow your thinking here.