AH!! my biggest gear-collecting problem has arisen again!!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

AH!! my biggest gear-collecting problem has arisen again!!

Post by Red Dust »

So i just got my new pair of wested pants delivered through today and the problem i thought might occur has..... the wested pants taper all the way to the hem. So when the trouser meets the boot you realise that the circumference of the trouser it too small so it rests on top of boot leaving it exposed.. which gives a clunky apperance.

While observing scenes from the films most people know that indys boots are about 3/4 obscured by the trousers... from my estimation the pants reach the front of the boot to about the 2nd lace and at the back fall all the way to the heal.

My wested's just rest on my boot and reach about the 3rd or 4th lace and are about an inch and a half above the heal at the back... i spoke to my mum who is a brilliant seemstress and she said the the trousers just havent go it in them for the look i want even though they are unfinished.

I was wondering if Noel Howard would be the answer to my questions?? would NH give me the diameter at the bottom of the pants that i'm looking for? could anyone tell me the diameter of his "off the rack" pants also.

Heres a pic from doc riviere (sorry doc for using your pic, just trying to make a point) the cut of the trousers in this photo are the exact look im looking for.

Any help would be gladly appreciated because this is my most FRUSTRATING problem since ive started collecting the gear.

Thanks all

Red Dust

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

I totally agree about the Wested pants and want to know the same about the NH ones. The picture you posted is how they should be, my Westeds are just tapered way too much at the bottom.

Doug C
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I can't help as NH custom measured mine and he paid particular attention to that dimension and how they fell over the boot. But I would say the measurement is "generous" and this is part of the style.

PS is that a doll or a full sized mannequin?
KingNothing
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingNothing »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:I can't help as NH custom measured mine and he paid particular attention to that dimension and how they fell over the boot. But I would say the measurement is "generous" and this is part of the style.

PS is that a doll or a full sized mannequin?
That has to be a mannequin... Look at the floorboards. I'm guessing it's Howards first Indy sculpt?
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

just some visuals to indicate my point with the wested's

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Thanks for the pictures, yep that's exactly how my Wested pants are too...they really need to be made wider at the bottom. I actually wear them low on my waist just so they'll "bag" around my boot area some. Maybe we should PM Peter with a link to this thread :-k

ps. I wanted to add though that Wested's wool material is great and I love the color which is a darker taupe than some other's I've had, fix the taper and they'd be perfect.

Doug C
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

When I ordered my noel howard trousers I wasn't sure about the length so I just told him to send them unfinished. When I received I went to my local tailor (wearing my alden boots) and pointed exactly where I wanted them to arrive. They came out beautifully.
If you want I can tell you how large they are at the bottom. Useless to say that the NH trousers don't taper as much as the Wested, actually they are quite straight.

By the way if you ask Noel the measures he will surely answer to you (when he's back home of course)
Last edited by Erri on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Red Dust, those are exactly how my pants look over my Aldens, I am not sure why the Wested pants taper down like they do. Maybe Peter can chime in on this. I am not sure if there is anything you can do on this. On my pants I know they left a lot of material after they hemmed it, unless they could redo the hem you could maybe get away with it. For me I don't mind, there are points in the movie where Indy's pants are only covering part of the laces and you can see about 3 laces. I am not too picky about it. I love the wested pants and don't mind it going down to where they fit me on the Aldens. Maybe I should wear my Aldens next time I get pants from wested.

IndianaChris
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

IndianaChris wrote :
I am not sure if there is anything you can do on this.
There is something that can be done - the pattern can be altered before another pair are made. It has nothing to do with the Hem or length. The point is that they taper down like a snowcone - remember quasi rapper MC-Hammer from the early 90's ? Well these pants would be right down his alley :lol: .. The pattern is off from the knee down.

Doug C
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

So i measured the pants at the bottom and it came to 18 inches, I added the length of all the spair material on the inside of the trousers (RED) both of them... and the total material came to 19 1/2 inches, i took that measurement with the measuring tape and held it over the boots to see how the circumference would fit onto the boot, it was practically the circumference im looking for but i understand realistically im only going the be able to work with the (GREEN) section.

There is a concept that ive heard that back in the old days mens trousers were cut differently at the bottom, the front of the trouser used to be higher at the front and then fall lower at the back... thus the trouser does'nt bunch up onto the boot... i read a thread in here that thats how indys pants were cut and prehaps thats an alternitive to free up and cover the boots more.

i have finished trousers but even still theres a big amount of material that could be freed up (YELLOW) section. i think its about 1 inch and a half which would is about the distance from were my westeds sit at the moment and the heel of the boot.

Doug i agree about the wested's totally there are perfect just except this 1 problem.

Red Dust
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

I gotta be honest, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the hemm (yellow) measurement, JMHO but I doubt shortening the front would help much - because to me the problem is even evident around where the calves are. I would be interested if you try this though. It'd be nice if there was more of the material you have highlighted in Green, then we could just open 'em up a bit. Let us know if you do anything to fix 'em.

Doug C
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Red Dust,
Maybe the photos and measurements in this thread help you out

viewtopic.php?t=20141&highlight=supertest

You will find this photo

and more

Look at the taper of the wested pants in the middle
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

Thanks alot PLATON.. so the mba's have the widest hem... thats what i'm looking for, how would i go about getting a pair? plus how do the MBA pants look over your aldens??

Red Dust
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Red Dust wrote:Thanks alot PLATON.. so the mba's have the widest hem... thats what i'm looking for, how would i go about getting a pair? plus how do the MBA pants look over your aldens??

Red Dust
To get a pair you have to contact Noel Howard at NHowardUk@aol.com
He's currently abroad so it might take a while before he answers you but he usually posts orders very soon after you pay.
His trousers are the most accurate, of course also over the Alden boots.
I hope it was helpful

ehm, I hope you have your wallet ready and wide open :lol:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

...or you could get a pair of custom made pants... :- which means you can specify the width of the leg opening. You can have a pair of bell-bottom pants if you want! :shock:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Indy Magnoli wrote:...or you could get a pair of custom made pants... :- which means you can specify the width of the leg opening. You can have a pair of bell-bottom pants if you want! :shock:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
You know, I was going to suggest you as I was reading through. A custom pair would definitely fit much better.

Cheers!

Dan
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

If I may, the fit of the Noel Howards is exactly like the fit in Raiders. If you order trousers made on measure they might feel perhaps nicer and they way you like to wear trousers but you cannot be sure that they will fit the way they do in the film.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Erri wrote:If I may, the fit of the Noel Howards is exactly like the fit in Raiders. If you order trousers made on measure they might feel perhaps nicer and they way you like to wear trousers but you cannot be sure that they will fit the way they do in the film.
Not only that but the regular NH trousers the uncut ones too !I have a pair and they're the nicest pair of trousers I have, its a delight to wear them!
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

so DUTCH did you have an off the rack pair of NH pants if so could you state the diameter of the pants at the hem cheers.

thanks everyone else for giving your opinions.. much appreciated!!

Red Dust
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

I had a pair of Raiders pants custom made for me by Noel Howard about seven years ago. When I inquired him about it he just asked me for my desired measurements and fine tuned the ones I gave him. The result was the best looking and best fitting pair of Raiders pants I have seen. I cannot remember how wide the leg opening is but it's enough to cover a good portion of my size 13 clodhoppers. Also, I cannot remeber how much he charges for custom orders. I want to say it was around $220. I would like to add that Mr. Howard was the nicest person I have ever done business with. A true gentleman. But to answer your question Red Dust, yes he will make you a pair of trousers that will fit over your shoes.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Red Dust wrote:so DUTCH did you have an off the rack pair of NH pants if so could you state the diameter of the pants at the hem cheers.

thanks everyone else for giving your opinions.. much appreciated!!

Red Dust
I can give you the diamater sure, but Iam affraid I don't know exactly what you mean :oops: ? do you mean how wide they are at the hem area?
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

in measurement.. what is the circumference of the bottom of the trouser.. (the loop) that drops over the boot!!

thanks

Red Dust
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

I was finally able to pull my NH trousers out and measure them. The leg opening on mine is about 20 inches.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

As an aside, has anyone else ever noticed this scene from TLC? Indy's left pantleg seems to be hitched up unusually high. Nor does his right pantleg seem (from the back) to have the "full break" that we all want.

Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

DUDE i think its because he just crawled through the cave on his hands and knees and the left leg just got hitched when he stood back up... thats all
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

His left knee is bent in that picture, I believe.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I was being a little facetious -- it just hadn't fallen back down.

But, it's not the first photo I've seen that indicated that Indy's pant-length fluctuated throughout the films.

Tony