Nice Article I found on "Match a Hat to Your Face"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Nice Article I found on "Match a Hat to Your Face"

Post by gi_canuck »

Match a Hat to Your Face

The ancient Greeks determined that the ideal proportions for attractiveness are achieved when the height is 1.618 times the width (or vice versa). They called it the golden ratio. For centuries artists have depicted the ideal human body with dimensions at this ratio. Alas, some of us have taller, or wider, or rounder faces than the ideal. Some of us have eyebrows, or ears, or noses which draw attention to themselves. The good news is, the right hat can change the apparent proportions of our faces.

Facial Shapes

Round faces.
A round face looks shorter than average, and so we'll take steps to make it taller. A hat with a medium height full crown and a narrow hat band will add apparent height. If the hat band is of a contrasting color, that will add to the illusion of height. Keep the width of the brim modest, and realize that snapping the brim down will make the face appear even shorter. Look into a small brimmed Fedora, a Panama, or a Gambler.

Thin faces.
Shorter crowns tend to work better for thin faces, and a wide hat band makes the crown, and the overall image, appear even shorter. Avoid a square crown. Make the hat band proportionately taller, and again, look for contrasting colors. The brim needs to be wider, but not to the point of drawing attention away from the face. A snapped brim (ear to ear) makes the face appear shorter. Interestingly, rolled brims do, too. Consider a bound edge on the brim. You'll want to consider a Safari or a Fedora.

Square faces.
The use of a rounded full crown will add curvature to a square face, but avoid a crown with excessive taper. A wide brim, either snapped or turned up, can add additional roundness. The turned up Homburg or Bowler is a good place to start. Examine a snapped Fedora for its ability to soften the jawline.

Pear shaped faces.
The problem pear shaped faces deal with is the difference between the wide lower face and the narrow forehead and top of head. Bulk up the top of the head with hat which offers a full crown, and match the hat band to exaggerate it's apparent size. Don't let the crown taper. Keep the brim fairly wide, and be careful not to exceed a shallow snap, if you have any snap at all. A Homburg will balance chin and crown. A Safari with minimal snap should look good on you, but don't overlook the Bowler. Reverse Pear (top heavy) faces. Our objective is to minimize the apparent size of the top of the head, which can be difficult because this head shape frequently requires a large hat size. A shorter crown will help, as will a wider hat band. Don't allow too much contrast between the hat color and that of the band. A medium brim, either rolled or snapped, will help to add apparent width to the lower face. A Fedora if pinched Fedora can add additional lines to thin the crown. A Homburg will provide this effect, also.

Facial Features

Prominent nose. Prominent noses will tend to be wider, or taller, and we'll use the characteristics of the hat to counter that tendency. A wide nose can be balanced with a higher crown, especially one pinched in the front. Add apparent height with a narrow, contrasting hat band. A narrow brim will help to complete the taller proportion. A tall nose will draw less attention with a lower crown, and one without taper. Make the hat band wide and colorful, and add a wide, fully snapped brim. Minimize the apparent length of the nose with a wide brimmed Fedora or Safari, fully snapped.

Prominent ears.
The ears will become less prominent with additional brim width. Wear as wide a brim as possible to diminish the apparent width of the ears. Don't roll the brim, but do snap it when possible. Keep the crown full and moderately tall. Any wide brim will work to your advantage. A Slouch, a Gambler, or even a large brim Panama will balance nicely.

Prominent eyebrows.
An upturned brim can help to balance large eyebrows. A fully snapped brim can help to cover them. Decide whether you want your hat to tame this feature or hide it completely, and choose your brim according. Also, light colors will have the effect of making the eyebrows appear more prominent. Use a Homburg or a Bowler to balance the eyebrows. Snap the brim of a Safari to cover them.

Prominent chin.

Avoid extreme sizes in either crown or brim. Watch that the back of the brim doesn't turn up sharply. A short crown, or a medium crown with side dents, coupled with a medium brim, snapped, will help to balance the jutting jaw. Your first choice should be a Fedora, especially with dented crown and a single vertical crease.

Receeding chin.

Avoid extremes in crowns or brims. A low center line can draw attention from a receding chin. This can be accomplished with a low, tapered crown coupled with a narrow hat band. Balance the low crown with a flat brim. If the brim can't be kept flat, snap it slightly. Keep the eyes clearly visible. A Porkpie has possibilities, but with a narrow brim and shorter crown a Fedora might just surprise you.

Hope this helps!!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Great read! Come to think of it, who needs plastic surgery? Just wear the proper fedora! :wink:
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

oh it's ALL about the accesories!!!!

:lol:
-r!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

In all honesty, there are some really good suggestions there, especially for those trying to figure out what kind of hat would suit them best.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Better yet, wear a huge purple feather in the ribbon. :D

No one will even notice your face....they'll just be thinking 'what's up with that stupid feather?!" :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

Shall I modify your avatar, sir?

;)
-r!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Even better, matching your bag strap width that would be proportional to your face shape. --I had to get that in before the binkster-- :lol:
Last edited by Sergei on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

rhboyd wrote:Shall I modify your avatar, sir?

;)
-r!
No, but I appreciate the offer! :shock: [-X :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

:rolling:
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

It doesn't say anything about being 9' tall. Nobody can really even see my hat... :-k
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Shtick wrote:It doesn't say anything about being 9' tall. Nobody can really even see my hat... :-k
Are you really 9' tall? :shock: :shock: :shock:
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

swcrazyfan wrote:
Shtick wrote:It doesn't say anything about being 9' tall. Nobody can really even see my hat... :-k
You believe in big people too? (Like Indiana Jerry :wink: )
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

swcrazyfan wrote:
Only when I stand next to Bink...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Don't make me bite your kneecaps again. :wink:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Very interesting read. I think I'm lucky enough to have a well-proportioned face, but interesting nonetheless. Wouldn't this mean that the Raiders hat was just a little too tall and wide-brimmed for Ford?
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

I think Harrison Ford fits in "Prominent Nose" Category... his nose isn't that big, but it is one of the more noticeable feature in his face... other than his crooked smile and thicker lower lips...