NEW INDY KOTCS PHOTOS and ***OFFICAL KOTCS POSTER PIC***

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I never checked there. I found the link to it on one of the movie sites......It seemed official to me when I downloaded it. It's even got the websites address on it.

Either way, now there's a desktop version of my "adjustments" to the poster.
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but I feel like everyone is being a little overreacitve about this poster IMHO. We all know that Drew and Speilberg have a more elaborate poster on the way. This by no means will be the "leading" poster...not the ones outside the movie theatre. Lets not be nit-picky about the tiniest details :wink:

-Robby
Jonesy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jonesy »

I'm sorry, but I'm sure some people will agree, by my thought is this... Why keep releasing things that are inaccurate and wrong, that will drive the fans crazy! Here's a crazy idea, lets blow them out of the water off the bat. Cause honestly, I'm really scared about the "next" poster. I mean, with no offense to Drew, but it does seem as though he's running out of ideas...

I mean don't you think the FANS are going to know you just copied the Temple poster with your already finished Infernal Machine art?

And the same goes for everything, not just the poster! Don't release toy pictures until they're perfect, cause we're just going to rip them apart. Don't flood the website with inaccurate wallpapers...

I guess I'm just getting annoyed with all the BS that's coming out. Am I alone here?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

No, I totally agree with you.

I just can't figure out what went wrong. It's not silly to be upset. These two "gltiches" with the poster should have been a no brainer. I still don't know what happened to that logo? They've been selling t-shirts with the perfect one for quite a while now.......Hello?? :?

The hat just sticks out like a sore thumb. It's not the AB he's wearing in the film. Where did they get this hat??? Well.....I *think* I may have found the "model" Struzan used and in some ways it makes sense.

Here is a link to the new "Official" KOTCS hat..... :roll:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/indiana_j ... r_hat.html
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I have to admit, I think the 2% of all fans who actually feel upset over the poster are all members of IndyGear. :lol: When it comes down to it, if the poster revs the engines of the majority of fans and moviegoers—regardless of a superbly drawn "innaccurate" hat or a slightly different font added after the drawing—then the poster is successful and has done its job. You can't argue that.

I bet no one tore apart the posters like this when the original trilogy was in the theaters. We're at an interesting junction in this hobby in that we've had years between the the original three and the upcoming movie to disect every itty bitty aspect of what makes Indy and the franchise "legitimate" or "completely wrong" to fans. Is his hat drawn the same on this poster as the other three? Nope. Is the font "wrong?" To me, I could care less. I see Indy on that poster and it makes me excited knowing that we realy are going to see him again.

It reminds me of the original Star Wars trilogy vs. the prequels in this regard: Sure I may have raised an eyebrow at some of the posters, merchandizing, and whatnot when the prequels came out, but as soon as the theater darkened, and the main theme suddendly blared as the SW logo shot away from the screen, I got chills throughout my entire body that took me back to the very first time I saw the original Star Wars in the theater as a kid. The entertainment value was still there for me. I excpect this to happen with IndyIV for me.

We can debate this all we want, but since this is the fedora section, I'd suggest adding to the various threads in Lao Che's and IndyIV sections. Let's try to steer this one back to the hat if possible. :wink:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Here is a link to the new "Official" KOTCS hat..... :roll:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/indiana_j ... r_hat.html
:shock: HAHAHA!! Image

I cannot believe that... a beaver felt DP? For $525??? That's the most expensive mistake in gear collecting you could make right now... I mean I guess it could be reblocked, but come on! Although, they HAVE upgraded to a center dent crown...

Shane
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Great minds think alike PH, i posted this over in the DP thread:

viewtopic.php?t=25069&highlight=
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oh dear... let's hope they didn't put a DP on him just for the poster! "Indy's back, and this time the poster shows him wearing an overpriced Dorfman."
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

No chance those two hats are similar.
The crown of the poster hat is not as high as the crown of the screen used one, but that's all I guess. The Dorfman has much more taper in my eyes, but I could be wrong.

Do you want to see a real DP?
Look at this:

:lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Uh, I beg to differ....those hats are both very close. Struzan might not have copied the hat exactly but the poster version does have more in common with this new "official" DP than it does with the AB he's wearing in the film...
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah, I agree Pitfall. The weird angle on the top of the poster hat bothered me, because I knew what we made did not have this angle. When I saw the pic of the new beaver DP, it became obvious that the artist used that hat for the poster. A brilliant move by Lucas, to tie in the beaver DP with the film, via the poster. I also have to assume that late in the filming, a beaver DP was given a bit of screen time. It will stand out like a sore thumb to the fedora fans here. But the GP will probably never notice it. :lol: Fedora
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Does he actually have it on? #-o
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Maybe if were lucky that scene will end up on the cutting room floor! :lol: I don't think I can actually handle seeing Ford wearing any DP in the film....

Maybe they'll explain that the evil power of the Crystal Skull warped his hat! :lol:

I swear if I see it in the film I'll cry out in pain while I'm in the theater. :lol:
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Maybe the hat gets lost in the end, and Indy has to buy a new one...?

Indy: "Now, that Dorfman Pacific Fedora looks sooooo great. I wonder if this cool Indiana Jones pin is robust enough for my adventures?!" :lol:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I swear if I see it in the film I'll cry out in pain while I'm in the theater.
You can bet that if they do place a DP in the film, like they did with Stetson, Bernie will fiddle with the DP to get it to look the best that it possibly could. He would try very hard to match up the crease job to what the other hats have. I can just imagine him cringing if he had to do this. He was SO very picky about Indy's hat. You guys just don't know how he sweated in keeping the hat consistent throughout the film. He was #### bent on doing so. He even made some of the stuntmen wear a piece of cloth on their foreheads to keep from staining the hat with their sweat early on in the filming. The reason? Fuller' Earth will not "take" correctly on a sweat stain. I don't think this much attention was ever paid to the other film hats, but Bernie has been doing this for many, many years. And he knew just how important the hat was, and how iconic it was. If he failed, it was not due to the amount of time and attention that he put into it. That is for sure. I can only imagine Bernie's reaction when they told him they wanted to put a DP on Ford's head. :shock: I sure would not want to have been in that room when the news was given to him. :lol: I imagine the bearer of news probably exited alot faster than he entered is all I can say. :lol: Fedora
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I seriously, seriously doubt they put one of those in the film, unless there is a scene where Indy wears a completely different hat. Continuity is very important in film and there is just no way on Gods green and glacier melting earth that a DP of any kind can look like the AB. Just no way.

I also highly doubt that the DP is used in the poster. I think its the low angle of the shot used of Ford that throws off the look of the hat and a small combination of the way it was illustrated. It's not horrible, just not what a gearhead would like to have seen. The masses won't care one bit but a gearhead does.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

On the flip side, it didn't look like continuity was such an issue with ToD hats, with how it seemed to change from scene to scene. There was product placement there, too.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

RobbyT43 wrote:I'm sorry that I have to say this, but I feel like everyone is being a little overreacitve about this poster IMHO. We all know that Drew and Speilberg have a more elaborate poster on the way. This by no means will be the "leading" poster...not the ones outside the movie theatre. Lets not be nit-picky about the tiniest details :wink:

-Robby
I feel the same way.

Perhaps I should start a new thread titled 'Am I the only one who likes the KotKS poster.' :lol:
Indiana C
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana C »

I think the new poster is great. I ordered mine the other day, and it should be on my wall very soon.
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

I am just happy to see Indaiana JOnes back in action.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Could the Dorfman be one of the hats in the downloadable wallpapers from the movie site? I'm specifically thinking the one with the rumpled hat on top of the whip?

Peaceful thoughts
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I saw the poster in person tonight at the theater and I have to admit that hat and lettering look better close up then they do online. Maybe the poster was stretched some but the crown of the hat looked less "blocky" and a little taller. Still, it's not great but I think the people that bought the poster will be happy with it in person even IF they don't think it looks that good online.

It did send chills up my spine to see a new Indy poster hanging in the theater......19 years! WOW! :D
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I saw the poster in person tonight at the theater and I have to admit that hat and lettering look better close up then they do online. Maybe the poster was stretched some but the crown of the hat looked less "blocky" and a little taller. Still, it's not great but I think the people that bought the poster will be happy with it in person even IF they don't think it looks that good online.

It did send chills up my spine to see a new Indy poster hanging in the theater......19 years! WOW! :D
Well then, perhaps it'll be up when I go to see "the Golden Compass". I HOPE it is, because I want to see what it looks like in person before I spend money on it.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

If Mac can change a BCF hat the way he did, it's absolutely not a far cry to make an Adventurbiltesque hat out of a beaver DP. All you'd really need to do is reblock and change the ribbon. If you did it right, I doubt many people even here would notice.

Even if they didn't do a reblock and ribbon change, they still might be able to casually slip it in there in a way no one would notice. I seem to remember 99% of us being surprised when we were told that Vic Armstrong, and not Harrison Ford, was waiting for Kate Capshaw in the spike room. If they can change the actor without anyone noticing, they can certainly change the hat for a few moments.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

bump... new picture of the hat:

Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Pitfall Harry, good job! Where can I find larger file of your work?

Original poster fedora? One word: NIGHTMARE...

Cheers,

:junior: Raider
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Indy trades in his panzershreck from ROTLA for an RPG.

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Looks like Ford ended up wearing one of the last two hats that were mailed in, for one of the stunt men who wore his size. It stands out like a sore thumb. I recall, thinking, should I reblock this one again, or send it like it is? I sent it since I assumed it would be a stunt hat and be seen from a distance. They apparently played musical hats with the order. The whole story of those two last hats for the initial order will be told later on. But it looks exactly as I sent it. Fedora
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I don't think it looks that bad..... :?

The only thing that really sticks out to me is that they got a lot of Fuller's Earth on the ribbon but the rest of the hat looks brand new. :shock:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I just found a new picture on the net!

Gods above, Harrison doesn't look much older than he did in Last Crusade! :P
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I was thinking the same thing.
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RobbyT43 »

He looks great! I think we can expect two things from these two new pics: Indy "behind enemy lines" (and gets caught :lol:) and an awesome chase scene with flying RPGs everywhere. Fun stuff :D
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Looking at that last picture, two things come to mind. One, that hair style does not become Kate Blanchett. :) And two, aren’t those US Air Force guys behind Ford?

Area 51 maybe?

- Mac
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RobbyT43 »

Mac wrote:Looking at that last picture, two things come to mind. One, that hair style does not become Kate Blanchett. :) And two, aren’t those US Air Force guys behind Ford?

Area 51 maybe?

- Mac
I think that you can see on one of their uniforms it has USSR on it (which isnt what Russians would have on their uniform, but what the heck :lol: )
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

I think that is "USAF," as in U.S. Air Force. :wink:

- Mac
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RobbyT43 »

Mac wrote:I think that is "USAF," as in U.S. Air Force. :wink:

- Mac
Haha I could have sworn it said USSR the first time I looked at it, but it is USAF. Thanks Mac :wink:
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Well guys, You've gotta love the hat in this pic!

Steve and Marc ya'll deserve a hand! :clap:

Johnny
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

WOW. My AB :)

IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

To me that wonderfull hat looks like a Raiders/KotCS-Hybrid... Somehow the tighter pinch looks like the Raiders-Fedora. :D
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Well guys, You've gotta love the hat in this pic!
this is the first pic of the new movie where I have to say , yeah it looks a bit like indy again, and not like a really old ford wearing gear like one of us :P
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

That is a great flashlight.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

THERE WE GO!! dirty, scruffy*, beat up, torn clothes!! YAY! the Indy we know and love! and diggin the AB in that shot!

* who's scruffy lookin'?
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Finally, better quality:

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

This is the Indy-est picture of them all

Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

Is that from the new Empire magazine?

Edit: Just saw it said 'Cinema' in the corner...
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Above pic is from German magazine "Cinema". You may see a few other, smaller pics from the film at http://indianajones.pl/2008/02/13/its-g ... owych-fot/
(these come from italian magazine)

Cheers,