Antiquing Brass?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Plynck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Antiquing Brass?

Post by Plynck »

Any ideas how to quickly age brass hardware (zipper and buckles) on a jacket?

It happens to be a non-Indy jacket, but perhaps the technique might be of interest to others here if someone could make a recommendation.

The hardware is solid brass, and is very shiny. I know a lot of times there is a protective coating (perhaps acrylic?) applied to the brass to keep it from tarnishing. I carefully used some acetone on the hardware, so hopefully the coating is gone now. However, I want to speed up mother nature a bit on the tarnishing without.

Any suggestions?

Best to all,

plynck
Plynck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Plynck »

Well, losing the support group for a few days did wonders for increasing my self reliance :oops:

The coating on polished brass is lacquer, and can be removed with lacquer thinner or acetone. Lacquer can be very closely bonded to the brass; also, acetone may evaporate before fully removing the lacquer, so repeated applications may be required. In addition, some abrasion will help to rough up the laquered surface to facilitate removal. Use something softer than the brass, such as a Scotch-brite pad.

Be careful not to get any acetone on leather or you will risk removing the leather color. Unless that's what you want :wink:

I did a little research, and found that ammonia works best for antiquing brass. One hint was to put a small copper plumbing fitting into a jar of ammonia to encourage copper sulfate to form on the brass. You needn't apply the ammonia to the brass; the fumes are what do the trick. Try a half hour or so to begin with, increase as required.

The finish will tarnish to look quite aged. If you want, you can then clean it up, but it will now look like old brass, rather than shiny new brass.

Best to all,

plynck
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

Another product (wish I'd known sooner about ammonia) is called, simply, Brass Darkening Solution. It is distributed by WSI Distributors in St. Charles, Missouri. I purchased it from a company in Maryland - Antique Hardware & More. I used it on some butt hinges. It works very well and very quickly, with little if any odor. Like the ammonia, the lacquer does need to removed prior to using on new, polished brass. I also, like Plynck, used a Scotch Brite pad prior to using the solution.

I'll have to try the ammonia. I paid $21.00 (shipping included) for 2, 8 ounce bottles of this darkening solution. Ammonia would have been so much better, costwise. Something else worth noting here. Before I ordered the solution, I consulted with my high school chemistry teacher from...uh...how many years ago?? Well, she didn't have any advice at all! She also consulted with somebody else (perhaps another "chemist") and he didn't have any thoughts either, other than time outside in the elements.

Oh, well. Now two methods exist for anyone else who needs to know.

Enjoy.
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

Thanks guy's.
Always looking for new ways to age and weather things.

D6