Indy IV jacket, who is Tony Nowak?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indy IV jacket, who is Tony Nowak?

Post by Wrightknife »

I was just on the official Lucasfilm site and watched the video discussing the hat and the jacket and they said the jacket was made by Tony Novak. :o Its been awhile since I've been on but I haven't heard that name before. Anybody want to clue me in?
Last edited by Wrightknife on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Thanks LC!
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Ya, you might notice that the site's a little... well...weak. Nothing on the Indy jacket there yet also.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I remember checking the site when the news first leaked... Thought maybe the reason it looked "weak" was because of high traffic. Fast forward a couple months, and the site looks exactly the same ;)
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

YEs, it is not a very nice site. Was he a fan or did they just give him some samples of some old film used jackets?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I doubt he was a fan, at least not in the same way that we are. In a nutshell, there were several vendors asked to submit their designs for a copy of a LC jacket, including Wested's own Peter Botwright.

Apparently, the costumer related to _ that:
In the end, Tony made the jacket I wanted. Nobody else was able to meet my requirements, regardless of logistics. In the end, it was my decision to go with Tony because he made the jacket I asked for, exactly as I asked for it.
And to borrow a quote from someone involved directly in making the costumes, our very own Fedora!
Fedora wrote:Once Bernie [the costumer] got a clone of the sample he had, only then did he make some changes in the jacket itself. He was looking for nothing but the pattern and proportions being dead on, to begin with. Once he got that, and he got that first from Tony, the deal was sealed. Tony was right there close by, Peter was across the Pond. Bernie was tickled to death when Tony brought it a sample and Bernie wanted to change the width of the pocket flap. He was amazed and thrilled when Tony showed up shortly with that modification. That is what got Tony this deal. He was so available. Tony was still working on film jackets when Marc and I sent in the last regular order of film hats. At that time, if I understand it correctly, he was making these jacket the very slow way. Even with our own slowness, we were faster than he was. I look for these jackets to be very well made, if Bernie has anything to do with it.

I broke my silence, but dadgummit, I know alot about this deal. Most of it will never be out there. Some things you can say and other things are better left unsaid. And I know the difference, regardless of what some may think. I carry around alot of info about this Indy 4 outfit. You will hear only the good stuff from me, as the bad stuff is a downer. Ever noticed how positive and excited the bonus dvd was when interviewing the folks that worked in the film, including Deborah? That is what my ideal write up would be like. When I do my interviews, that is what you will hear from me. The last words Bernie told me was what a pleasure it was to work with me and Tony. But when you work with a guy like Bernie, and he says, I need this or that, you just ask when? Marc was like that, I was like that, and Tony was like that. And that is HOW you have to be to work with Bernie. So, if anyone here ever gets the pleasure of working with this man, heed my words. He knew exactly what he wanted. And he would not accept less than that. I doubt any of the other costumers, after Deborah was like that. Going by the hats from those other two films, especially the TOD, little thought was given to the fedora......Fedora
And as a sidenote, Tony Nowak isn't a stranger to the film industry either. He made Arnold's jacket in the Terminator 3 movie, and makes leather jackets for bodybuilders.
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Thanks for catching me up on the situation Castor! I appreciate it.
:D
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Always glad to be of help! :D I just hope I got my facts right, and didn't step on anyone's toes... this time! ;)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Very interesting! :)

Cheers!

Dan