Zorro's Black Whip!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Zorro's Black Whip!

Post by hollywood1340 »

So I've watched LoZ several times in the past few days, and it appears his is much like the one sold though Mark Allen, but much longer! Almost like a ten foot version. This is seen in several places, but mainly when seen on his hip, and at the end when he looks for his whip in the hatbox. I tried for screencaps but no luck. Was there a David Morgan 10' with a silver band made for the movie?
JStrain
Vendor

Post by JStrain »

I made a whole range of lengths for the movie......a total of 12 whips including the 16 and 25 foot stunt whips. I think there are four 6's, two 8's and two 12's in this picture. I had to make a 10 foot later and an additional 12 when one was run over by a wagon breaking the handle.

Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

There you have it Joe Strain replying... Joe glad to see you on the boards. Joe supplied the whips that were of Australian target whip influence. Alex Green was the influence in the design and Joe magnificently delivered. These whips were used in the candle snuffing scenes.

Dave Morgan did supply his 450 series bullwhips in black leather. He supplied about 12 of those whips ranging in sizes from 8 to 25 feet in length. In addition Morgan made two stunt whips that were plaited over steel cables that were used for swinging from one place to another.

Those were great pictures Joe...I presume you are still making them? I didn't see them on your website.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Geez Joe, in the time it took me to search your site for the link both you and Sergei came thru...
Dang Pacific timezoners!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Dalexs wrote:Geez Joe, in the time it took me to search your site for the link both you and Sergei came thru...
Dang Pacific timezoners!
You need to move back... this time zone should be the UTC time zone - Zulu.
JStrain
Vendor

Post by JStrain »

Correct. These whips are exclusive to Western Stage Props.

Also, although Morgan supplied most of the whips for the Mask of Zorro, I made all of the whips for the Legend of Zorro.

Joe
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Good point! I forgot that...
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Well you guys got the jump on me :lol:. Joe Thanks for adding in. I asked Mark a while back about the whips and which ones Western Stage Props supplied while the Legend of Zorro was filming and like Joe already said they where all the official Zorro whips but that they where made in all different lengths for the film then what is customarily available. David Morgan didn’t supply any of his whips for the second film but made a lot for the first one.

Here are a few screen captures from the movie that show the whips in action

Here is a photo of one of the stunt whips made up with safety cable for swinging on. You have to love that movie magic, when a whip can go from 6 ft to 25 ft whenever needed :lol:

Lastly here is my own Zorro whip that I just wanted to show off since it’s a really great whip!

Dan
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Guess that wraps that up! Very nice work Joe!

Now how about that Catwoman whip?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

hollywood1340 wrote:Now how about that Catwoman whip?
Which one, The Michelle Pfeiffer version or the Hallie Berry version? :lol:

Dan