"Strapped" into a corner...Help please

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

"Strapped" into a corner...Help please

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all,

Yes, I'm an "old-timer," and no, I don't know everything so I appeal to this wizened community for help. I beseech someone out there with the wisdom to assist me in my time of need.

After seeing how good Chris King's original MBA bag strap looked I decided to bring mine out of mothballs. About six years ago, I swapped it out for a Keppler strap. This Noel Howard original is in the Raiders color and is of the 71 inch variety, but I had to (carefully) cut it off near the rivets that held it to the bag and buckle to remove it.

Now, I want to get an AB buckle and reattach it. Thing is, I think I should have plenty of room b/c I actually only need a regular 65 inch strap so I have what should be plenty of room to work with but I need some advice on how to put it back on...rivets, screws? Anyone?

Thanks,
IndyFrench
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

I’d suggest Chicago screws, also known as screw posts. They are easy to attach and remove.

You can get them here:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com

Search for “screw post." You may be able to find them at a local hardware store. Home Depot and Lowes carry them in my area, but they only have aluminum and I don’t believe they are strong enough for the task. If anyone has had good luck with aluminum I’d love to hear about it.

Good luck!

- Mac
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: "Strapped" into a corner...Help please

Post by IndyK »

IndyFrench wrote:but I had to (carefully) cut it off near the rivets that held it to the bag and buckle to remove it.

Now, I want to get an AB buckle and reattach it. Thing is, I think I should have plenty of room b/c I actually only need a regular 65 inch strap so I have what should be plenty of room to work with but I need some advice on how to put it back on...rivets, screws? Anyone?

Thanks,
IndyFrench
I dont quite understand why You had to cut some of the length? I changed the buckle of my NH-strap too, but with a household tool simply removed the old rivets. I then replaced them with some new Chikago-screws with a worn look. (Oxy-something-treated-metal...).
But still, make the new holes with a proper tool and then use good Chicago-screws - those where You can use the screwdriver from both sides.

Cheers
Indy-K
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

As a piece of advice with the Chicago screws, if you put a spot of clear fingernail polish in the post when screwing it together, it will keep the screw from wiggling itself lose over time. Trust me, those buggers will fly off and disappear at the worst possible time!
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

binkmeisterRick wrote:As a piece of advice with the Chicago screws, if you put a spot of clear fingernail polish in the post when screwing it together, it will keep the screw from wiggling itself lose over time. Trust me, those buggers will fly off and disappear at the worst possible time!
Good advice. But then, he wears a skirt. :wink: I used Loctite on mine. No problems.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You use Loctite on your skirts? No wonder I always see you wearing the same skirt! :shock: :wink:

Which is cheaper, the Loctite or the nail polish? The advantage of the nail polish is that is makes the inside of your Chicago screw look pretty. :lol:
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Well, considering I was single at the time I put my bag together, Loctite was more readily available. :wink:
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

If HD or Lowes in your area doesn't carry htem, check your local hardware store.
Sometimes it's amazing what they might carry. Sometimes a bit more expensive, but worth the local patronage.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I have nothing more to add other than; try to get a Chicago screw of the right measure for the parts connecting the buckle. Long/short enough, that is depending on the thickness of the leather. (I use 2 C-screws for that part myself, in order to even out the pressure.) Too loong and it will poke you in the chest, too short and it can't be locked tight. However, there is quite a lot of space to play with between these extremes.

Also, punching the hole(s) to close to the center of the buckle could create an angle on it, so I'd make sure to put it/them half an inch or so below the bottom bar of the buckle in order to allow it to flatten out on your chest.

Just a thought in order to be comfortable if wearing it daily like I do.

I feel I might have complicated things a bit here...
Ah, well. Chicago screws is the way to go, anyway. :)

Regards,
Swindiana