who offers the most SA "RAIDERS" jacket???

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

which jacket is most authentic and SA?

wested
48%
us wings
No votes
flighsuits (now gibson and barnes)
11%
other (please state)
1%
Todd's Costume
40%

Total votes: 93

joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

who offers the most SA "RAIDERS" jacket???

Post by joeyofarimathea »

who offers the most SA jacket??? what seems to be the official opinion here?
Last edited by joeyofarimathea on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

..Todd's (where was I supposed to state my opinion?)

Doug C
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

This seems a little pointless. Since there is so much material about this already.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

True. There are endless discussions on this if you read through the jacket forum. And even now, you're still bound to get an inconsistent answer. There's plenty of gold in them thar pages! :wink:
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I think Wested's jackets could be the bomb with a few tiny tweaks.... Still, when done right, they can be fantastic to look at.

Todd's also looks pretty close. I'd like to see a Todd in goathide... for under $500! [-o<

C3
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I heard yo mama makes the best jacket. :twisted: I kid, I kid. O:)
You didn’t even ask which movie. Cheers
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my 2 cents on who makes the best what:

raiders - todds
tod - the reigning champ is wested but us wings has something in the oven
lc - hands down, wested
kotc - tony nowak - this has yet to be confirmed/determined
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Rundquist wrote:I heard yo mama makes the best jacket. :twisted: I kid, I kid. O:)
You didn’t even ask which movie. Cheers
don't be start'n any 'yo momma' threads rundquist or i may have to go '_' on you.....(i was going to use 'medievil' but i that catchphrase has been done to death) :P :lol:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Put simply,

Raiders, to Harrison Ford's hero jacket - Todds

Raiders, to Terry Leonards stunt jacket - Flightsuits

everything else boils down to - Custom Westeds
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

You guys have to believe me when I say that THE PERFECT leather for a ToD jacket is Todd's preshrunk lambskin. He only makes Raiders jackets though but if you're like me and not all that concerned with minute ToD detailing, and you ask for it to be made long - it's the best ToD specifically because of the leather. I've owned long Westeds and the lambskin was too...nice, etc. My custom Todd's totally has the Temple vibe!

Doug C
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I've had several problems with Wested jackets, one of which they could have resolved very easily, but never did...so I have to work carefully at being objective here...but, that said, I really do have to give the nod to Todd, at least for the SA Raiders look. And that holds true for both his Custom and bargain-priced Standard versions.
Jack
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

binkmeisterRick wrote:True. There are endless discussions on this if you read through the jacket forum. And even now, you're still bound to get an inconsistent answer. There's plenty of gold in them thar pages! :wink:

thanks to everyone who voted! and as mentioned above there are endless threads but thats the problem theyre endless (there is nothing definitive like...ie: if you want to have the best jacket you need to get westeds but custom made with a red and blue collar!) so thats why i posted this poll, cuz im hoping to get a true consensus! also i didnt even know about Todds jackets there is no mention on the main gear page. which proves my point of trying to get a more definitive answer as to who makes the best jacket!

thanks for reading,

JOA

ps- i was referring to the RAIDERS jacket
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I think you're finally getting it. :wink:

There IS no definite answer.... just grades of answers. ...the old 'One man's meat is another man's poison'. YOU have to determine what YOU want and believe to be the best representation of the most accurate jacket and 'best', as what works for me may be so far off the mark for you, you'll wonder if we're even on the same page!

That's why everyone is saying 'read'! The main site pages are being updated as we speak, but all the current information of what is out there and what people are experiencing is spread all through these forum pages.

Regards! Michaelson
Grey_Starr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Grey_Starr »

joeyofarimathea wrote:thanks to everyone who voted! and as mentioned above there are endless threads but thats the problem theyre endless (there is nothing definitive like...ie: if you want to have the best jacket you need to get westeds but custom made with a red and blue collar!)
True statement...

for me, there was no master list of venders to use as my starting point... I had to dig and dig... this goes for all the Indy stuff... I'd have thought there would be a sticky post with with the master list... not necissarily with gradings and such... but with a general description and link(s)... Something that would be updated as new sources are found...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Michaelson wrote: The main site pages are being updated as we speak..............
As _ would say....'Is this mic on?! :? "

It's being worked on........

Regards! Michaelson
Grey_Starr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Grey_Starr »

lol... I know... but I personally thought it would be in an easier to maintain posts... this would even give the site master something to referance for doing the site... designing a pretty page takes much longer then just words in a post :wink: ...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That, and wording the text to go along with the pretty page. It's VERY time consuming. Just ask the fellows doing the work! :shock: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Guys, guys, guys... I hope you won't hate me ;) but I read and I observe your growing fascination of Todd's jacket (I am talking generally - not strictly about this topic). I follow your polls (over 50% for Todd's as most SA).
If Todd's one seems more accurate for you (than Wested), buy a bigger, better plasma screen and watch ROLA one more time (scene by scene). There are some details (fe. pockets, zipper...) looked into more accurately than they did at Wested but that's all. Can't you see it just looking at the leather? There's only one company selling "Raiders" and it's Wested (just order it 80s fit). Unless you care more about a few details than a general look.

:junior: Raider
P.S. I love Todd's other Indy stuff though :)
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Raider wrote :
Can't you see it just looking at the leather?
Honestly - No. Wested's current leather is a big reason why I've looked elsewhere. I do like their jackets though when done right. Plus, with others you do get a general look AND a few correct details.

Doug C
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Raider,

That's big talk. Can you defend your claims a little? "Just look at the leather" isn't going to do it. I wouldn't call finding what I consider to be the most "screen accurate" looking jacket (Todd's) a "fascination": It's more of a relief. I've had four Westeds and my $150 Todd's Standard looks more SA than any of them. I don't need a bigger, better T.V. to prove it. I know what I see. It's not just "details" either. Unless you count pattern, drape, proportions, hardware and leather as details. Yours is only an opinion and you're welcome to it but go easy on us poor Todd's Fans. We're obviously a sensitive bunch.

Regards, Dr. J
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Dr._J, everyone is sensitive here regarding "Indy stuff" preferences :)
"I've had four Westeds and my $150 Todd's Standard looks more SA than any of them."
That's a one shocking statement. I've seen some pics but they must lie. I wouldn't even mention "standard" Todd's in one sentence with Wested. I must be wrong then, as you had both. None of the pics I saw here (even a nice comparison we had at COW in one topic) showed these advantages in my opinion (apart from details I had mentioned above). Leather in particular. I am not saying the leather offered by Wested is perfect ROLA. I am saying it's closer than Todd's. Yes, in MY opinion :)

Cheers,

P.S. Dr._J, bit off topic, I've just ordered baby Indy jacket at Wested. As far as I remember, you had ordered similar, quite some time ago, for your daughter (hope I am not wrong it was you). Was it ok (proportions, sleeves...)? Thanks! :)
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

You know what, after Dr._J's statement, I seriously consider ordering standard Todd's. Just to have the basis to discuss the matter. I just can't believe it.
Overall, $150 is a FAIR price for the leather jacket...

FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

Gentlemen -
Allow me to offer some pictorial evidence if I may.
Recently I had the priveledge of inspecting the collection of cKing at his home (or Hollywood museum, if you prefer) and took along with me my Todd's standard to compare to what, in his opinion is the closest match to the Raiders jacket - The 80's fit lambskin. The sizing on the Wested is 42R - The Todd's is plain 'ol large. Below are shots of me in both jackets...

The Wested;

The Todd's standard;

You will also notice cKing's amazing display in the background. That jacket is a specially weathered Todd's custom. Judge for yourself what is SA or not based on these pictures but let me tell you - even close up it was difficult for me to distinguish certain features. It is well documented that Todd's is a thin hide - I can confirm that the Wested is more robust and heavier. The colours vary considerably also - Toss's being a reddish brown and the Wested more of a greyer hue. The Todd's is almost 1 1/2" longer also. With the choice of taking home either - with the extra length I settled with the Todd's. Make of that what you will.
While I'm here (and without hijacking the thread!) I'd like to hear your thoughts about whether the length on the Todd's is good and the shade of the the pants i'm wearing (they are Magnoli's!) against the Wested's in the background. I will also make cKing aware of this thread so he can offer some great insights as I still consider myself an Indy newcomer.
Hope this has been useful...
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

Those pictures are very useful!

Seeing both jackets on the same person makes it easier to pick out specific differences, and see how very similar they look overall when put in the same lighting conditions, etc.
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

FordPerfect, thank you very much for your pictures! We've seen the display in a comparison topic earlier but your pics show the shade difference just great.

Cheers,

Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks Martin!

Many "old timers" know I've been lurking around in the background here for many years. I've been on a quest (like most others) to find the most screen accurate Raiders jacket for my lifesize display. I recently received my Todd's CUSTOM jacket which was pre-washed before assembly, then RE-washed afterwards. After much consideration, I finally decided the time had come to upgrade my Wested authentic lamb.

It was not an easy decision becuase for me, the Wested authentic lamb is STILL the better leather. I love the colour, weight and quality of it. The leather used on my Todd's custom is not as accurate in my opinion.

HOWEVER, the details and fit of the Todd's custom were ultimately the winner - particularly the collar and drape of the jacket. Even with all the specs / 80's fit modifications that my Wested had (I believe it was the very first 80's fit jacket that Wested made since I made the discovery about the sizing differences), it was still not quite as convincing as the Todd's custom when I put it onto my mannequin.

In my humble opinion, I think the best of both worlds would be a Todd custom made from the same authentic lamb leather that Wested used a few years ago (I'm told their new authentic lamb is not quite the same and therefore, not quite as accurate as the one I purchased a few years ago).

Here's a couple of photos that show how close it is regarding the leather - Todd's custom on the left / Wested authentic lamb on the right.

Chris
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Chris... welcome back. For those that don't know Chris is an old timer here and at Indyfan. His eyes and his quest have always been top drawer.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks Sergei!

Here's a photo of my latest display which now includes the FANTASTIC AB holster and AB buckle for my bag strap.

Chris
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Chris,
Nice jackets.
Please tell us how you made the discovery about the sizing differences.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks!

It happened during a lengthy telephone conversation with Peter. To cut a long story short, we were talking about the tighter fit of Ford's jacket and then Peter mentioned how the current jackets were made from "modern day" patterns which have subsequently been sized up compared to jackets in the 80's (because apparently, people were of smaller build back then).

Chris
PLATON wrote:Hey Chris,
Nice jackets.
Please tell us how you made the discovery about the sizing differences.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Chris_King, were there any special requests on the Todd's Custom?
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Hi Satipo,

No. I just asked for the jacket to match the measurements of the Terry Leonard stunt jacket plus any minor tweaks that Todd felt were required to turn it into Ford's "hero" jacket. I believe he just tweaked the pocket sizes to better reflect what he felt was seen on Ford's jacket.

Cheers,

Chris
Satipo wrote:Chris_King, were there any special requests on the Todd's Custom?
Last edited by Chris_King on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Thanks for your answer, Chris. And did you distress it yourself at all?
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Todd gave it a light dusting of Fuller's Earth, but everything else is a result of the PRE-washing and then RE-washing.

Cheers,

Chris
Satipo wrote:Thanks for your answer, Chris. And did you distress it yourself at all?
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

_ wrote:LOL!

Just like somebody is going to claim Jessica' Alba's butt is too big,
WOW, _, is it? ;)

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

..Jessica Alba..... =P~

Doug C
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

_ brought it up, _ brought it up! :twisted:

OK guys, another poll:
Which one you choose - Jessica Alba:
A. wearing just 80s fit Wested
B. wearing just custom Todd's

;)

Take it easy...

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Don't EVEN go there, Raider.... [-X

Regards! Michaelson
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Michaelson wrote:Don't EVEN go there, Raider.... [-X
:oops:

It happenes when somebody mentions Jessica and Raiders in one topic. Just too much beauty... ;)

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Beauty? :evil: No....temptation..... yes....O:)

:wink:

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm still at a loss to undertanding why Todd can get where the collar meets the storm flap correctly as well as the back yoke looking right but Wested just cannot bring themselves to do it even though they've been asked to time and time again. I wish someone could explain this to me, Peter mostly, but anyone really. I just can't figure it out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Is this the source of the mysterious 'demon roll', '5'?
:-k
Regards! Michaelson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

agent5 wrote:I'm still at a loss to undertanding why Todd can get where the collar meets the storm flap correctly
There have been examples of Todd's Standard jacket where this hasn't been the case. I believe I read here that his priority is to line up the collar edge with the zip placement so that the collars look balanced when the jacket is zipped up.
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Chris_King wrote:Hi Satipo,

No. I just asked for the jacket to match the measurements of the Terry Leonard stunt jacket plus any minor tweaks that Todd felt were required to turn it into Ford's "hero" jacket. I believe he just tweaked the pocket sizes to better reflect what he felt was seen on Ford's jacket.

Cheers,

Chris
Satipo wrote:Chris_King, were there any special requests on the Todd's Custom?
thanks chris and Ford for those great photos!
what does "hero" jacket refer to?
so 80's size just means the basic patterns were a bit smaller then?

also i just found that magnoli also has a raiders jacket and im sorry it was not mentioned in the poll. does anyone have any feedback on the magnoli jacket?

thanks, JOA
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Hi Joey,

"Hero" jacket is simply the term that is used to describe the jackets that Harrison Ford wore. It's just a way of differentiating between Harrison's jackets and those that were worn by the stuntmen.

As I understand it, the 80's pattern was based on proportions for people back in the 80's. Yes, it's smaller than the modern day equivalent but I don't know the exact specifics of which parts are smaller.

Cheers,

Chris
joeyofarimathea wrote:
thanks chris and Ford for those great photos!
what does "hero" jacket refer to?
so 80's size just means the basic patterns were a bit smaller then?

also i just found that magnoli also has a raiders jacket and im sorry it was not mentioned in the poll. does anyone have any feedback on the magnoli jacket?

thanks, JOA
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

I have to admit I'm surprised to see the votes in this thread.

I'm intrigued to hear what criteria is determining the votes. I've owned a lot of Wested's over the years and they are beautiful jackets. However, none of them have ever truly draped and "looked" quite as accurate as the custom that I got from Todd's Costumes. As I said earlier, I still prefer the leather that Wested use but the drape / fit of the jacket and the attention to "screen accurate" details are noticeably superior on the Todd's custom. Which is more important to you guys? Leather or appearance?
If Wested could get all these details correct, then Wested would have won my vote but after years of trying, I never truly got the jacket looking as good as the one I've got now from Todd's.

Chris
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Chris, have you got any pictures of yourself wearing the Todd's custom? It looks great on the dummy, but it would be interesting to see it in a more dynamic scenario. Or was it made specifically to fit the dummy and not yourself?
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Hi Satipo,

It's a 40 Regular and I'm a 46 inch chest so I'm afraid I haven't taken any pics of me wearing it. I'll spare you the trauma of seeing me squeezed into it! :D

Chris
Satipo wrote:Chris, have you got any pictures of yourself wearing the Todd's custom? It looks great on the dummy, but it would be interesting to see it in a more dynamic scenario. Or was it made specifically to fit the dummy and not yourself?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Raider wrote:Dr._J, everyone is sensitive here regarding "Indy stuff" preferences :)
"I've had four Westeds and my $150 Todd's Standard looks more SA than any of them."
That's a one shocking statement. I've seen some pics but they must lie. I wouldn't even mention "standard" Todd's in one sentence with Wested. I must be wrong then, as you had both. None of the pics I saw here (even a nice comparison we had at COW in one topic) showed these advantages in my opinion (apart from details I had mentioned above). Leather in particular. I am not saying the leather offered by Wested is perfect ROLA. I am saying it's closer than Todd's. Yes, in MY opinion :)

Cheers,

P.S. Dr._J, bit off topic, I've just ordered baby Indy jacket at Wested. As far as I remember, you had ordered similar, quite some time ago, for your daughter (hope I am not wrong it was you). Was it ok (proportions, sleeves...)? Thanks! :)
Yes, it was I that bought the baby Wested four years ago. I just asked Peter to make the smallest one he could. I think it was a childs size 3. The proportions and everything were fine. She's almost four now and it fits her great (in fact she may be outgrowing it). I have a one year-old who's going to love it...or ELSE! ;)

Regards, Dr. J
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Thanks Dr._J, that's the pic I have in my archive! :) I've already ordered baby Indy for my new born Mike, so I am glad to hear the jacket was ok!

And imagine - I did as I said. The Todd's standard is on the way to my home. As well as Wested HH and baby Indy I mentioned... Man, I bought 3 jackets in 2 days. ###### COW ;)