What's up with Peter Bros.?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

What's up with Peter Bros.?

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I've seen some Peter Bros. threads in the past, but I noticed that everybody is talking about AB, HJ, Fed Del., etc. and not Peter Bros. What's up with Peter Bros.? Their website shows some good pics of their fedoras and at a reasonable price. Are they no longer a good company to work with? Are they still in good standing? I'm surprised that nobody talks about them. Could someone shine some light on the subject?

Thanks
-Miss. Jones
Dr. Woolley
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Dr. Woolley »

You know, everybody has their own opinion about PB. When I started haunting this site in 2000, it was all about the PB. I have had two--one was too small and one I still have and plan to get re-done at some point.

Two weeks ago, I ordered a soft felt TOD/YIJC hybrid. When I get it, I'll let you know. I like their hats, but with any kinda custom job, it really is a @#$% shoot. But, I have high hopes. I'll let you know when I get my new lid.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

PB is a WONDERFUL company to work with, and they sell TONS of Indy fedoras all over the world. Keep in mind, we're not the ONLY Indy related website in town. :wink:

Joe is currently working the rodeo circuit (their main business is Western hat sales), and he won't be back in the shop until February 2nd or so, but in my last email conversation with him a week ago, he told me as of that date he had at least 10 weeks of work in front of him on just Indy fedora orders that had come in while he was out of the shop.

So, yes, they are a top rate and top notch hat company...they've updated and improved their felt (look in the vendor section for those announcements and discussions), are using the same felt and felter as a couple of our own top notch hat makers right here at COW, and they're just getting better.

They have officially been members of our COW community since 2004, but have been with us LONG before that, as they helped several of us work on some of the first correct Indy fashioned fedoras of our hobby!

Regards! Michaelson
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Ah! Thanks guys! I'm so glad to hear this about PB! I wanted their custom Indy when it came time to upgrade my fedora! And I like their "Michaelson Borsalino" as well. What kind of PB hats do ya'll have?
Dr. Woolley
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Dr. Woolley »

I have a Michaelson Borsalino and it is a great hat! But, it depends on what you want it for. It is a great dress hat but I have been told it does not weather well in beyond "normal" conditions. I have worn mine from the Jeep to my building in the rain and snow and it has been fine and still looks great. For more rugged conditions, I trust my Akubra Fed or my PB custom LC.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Much of the reason that PB is not talked about that much, IMHO, is because when we first started buying from them, Joe Sr.'s son Joe Jr. was a fan and we mostly dealt with him. He was in charge of the Indy fedoras. Once he left, some of the interest dropped, mainly I think because the son was no longer with the company. Remember, as far as I know most dealt with Joe Jr. in the old days. Sometimes a hat vendor who is a fan gets more mention than just a "hatter."....That's my take on it anyways. Fedora
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I hear the felt on the MB is thinner than the PB custom Indy. Since I'm always outside and "runnin and gunnin" day to day with horses and what not, I was thinking about just using either my Fed Del or ordering a thicker felt PB custom. A hat that I wouldn't mind getting dirty and smashed, and that could still hold up! Although the MB is a pretty hat to wear to church or something I think. :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

The HJ is talk about just because of the name. The AB line because of the high quality, right block shape and how the hat is made. The Akubra is because of the a good quality lower end modest price. The PB is just not in that level and their customer service has dropped in recent time and as thier craftmanship.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I haven't experienced that, B-Oak, but then maybe it's because I've personally known Joe and Nelda for so many years. I talked with JoeJr. several times, but Joe Sr. and JPDesign made my hats when he was with them. That's why I 'talk up' Jimmie when an opportunity comes along. I KNOW his work from personal experience. :D

I haven't noticed any change in craftsmanship either. As a matter of fact, the 3 prototypes I received to look at last summer were the best I've seen from their shop in years, and I've owned several customs.

The MichaelsonPB is a Borsalino rabbit felt, and is thinner than the custom which is a heaver blend. You might want to check out their new rabbit or 50/50 blend.

But, like I said, that's just me and my experience with the company. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oak, when was your last direct experience with PB?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

It was more than a year ago. I always think it's good to get a reblock from the people who has made the hat. I needed a reblock for my first PB (Brown)( I had 3, 2 brown and 1 grey). When I first talked with them they said it would take abouth three weeks. No big deal, so off the hat went to them. I'm a very understanding guy when it comes to delays but it was more like a 10 months. I did call the after a month and asked how things where going. They said they had finished it and had put it in the mail. 2 weeks later no hat. I'll call the again. They said they are about to put it in the mail. This thing went on every other week for about nine months.
I finally talk with Joe and said he'll get to reblocking it right away. Yaaaaaaaaaaaah. I get it in a week. When I open the box I get a hat that is spotty all over. The crown is taller than normal and the brim is way to small. They ever reblocked it down 2 sizes.Yaaaaaah. i call them back up and tell them what they sen't me and I get " We sen't you a good looking hat in great shape." "must of happen in the mail." yes, of that makes sence to me. The postman took the brim and added to the crown????????
I ended up sending to Steve to see if he could do something with it. Even the master himself couldn't do anything with it. I think I caused him to shave of a few years of his life trying to rework that thing. Sorry Steve.

I know people make misstakes and thats OK with me just own up to it and correct it. the lying to me every week didn't help either.
I don't see the PB as a fedora anyway. It really is a cowboy hat dressed up to be a fedora. Even if I didn't have this bad experience and most of the time you only hear good things about them and I beleive most of the time they do very well.
I just think the reason you hear three hat being talked about is The AB is the top dog because it's the best hat out there. The HJ just because of the name and the Akubra because it's the best low end hat out there.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wow! Sorry you had such a bad time, Oak. That's not the norm, but I'd be more than a bit miffed too if it happened to me! :?

Regards! Michaelson
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

My brown PBBM in the LC Bash is still one of my favorite fedoras, and named for my pal Michaelson to boot! :wink:

One of these times, I have to get one of their Indy Panema hats, I have a Belloq styled Montecristi Panema, but PB's brown Indy Panema would be a nice lid to wear in the hot humid days of summer.

And I'll also say Joe Sr. is a great guy too.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

"Panema?" :-s
Sorry - I had to call you on that one...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Joe sr. was the last person i talked to and he was the one to finally reblock my hat. As you read not a good job at all. I want to get a friend of mine a nice Montecristi Panema hat but I can't bring myself to trust them anymore.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Again, "Panema?" :-s :x
Sorry to pick on your spelling, but IT IS THE LAND OF MY BIRTH!! :evil:
Whew - Ok - all better now... :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, ok......pamana.....er....pname... oh, heck with it....straw hat! #-o
:lol:
Regards! Michaelson
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

](*,)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:Ok, ok......pamana.....er....pname... oh, heck with it....straw hat! #-o
Regards! Michaelson

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.......and Panama Tom Jr, you could have life long project when it comes to me and spelling.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You and me both, Oak!! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

So from what I can gather here, if I go with a PB, I just need to take my own chance and see what happens. Kind of scary, but I have plenty of time to think about it. I appreciate the responses I got. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Chance? Where did you get that idea, Mississippi? :-s

I read one bad experience, and four good ones in this thread to this point. No scarier than dealing with any OTHER custom hatmaker on our boards. As a matter of fact, that's pretty dang good in my opinion!

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

You’re also dealing with “flavor of the month” a lot on this board. At one point PB was hands down the most bought hat on this board. Then it was the Akubra Federation. Then it was the…., you get my point. This is not to say that the most popular vendor, in any category, at any one time, is not really great (and maybe the best). But you’re also dealing with the “lemming” (The act of following the crowd into an investment that will inevitably head for disaster) factor. Cheers

PS- I don’t think buying a piece of gear will necessarily head anyone “into disaster”. :shock:

Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well said, old friend.
:tup:
Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I don't know if I buy the flavor of the month. Should someone stick with something that stays the same. Or should you go with something one comes out with a better product. I'm going with the better product and did.
I think the Akubra is a better buy and better hat than PB. The AB line is best of all in my opinion.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: hat

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:Well said, old friend.
:tup:
Regard! Michaelson
Thank’s Mark!

BendingOak wrote:I don't know if I buy the flavor of the month. Should someone stick with something that stays the same. Or should you go with something one comes out with a better product. I'm going with the better product and did.
I think the Akubra is a better buy and better hat than PB. The AB line is best of all in my opinion.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get the best product out there (or at least the best for you). I wasn’t debating the AB’s place. It’s obviously a great hat. My point was that you can’t always go with conventional COW-board-wisdom. Several times in the past I’ve disagreed with it. Cheers
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I agree with everyone. And I understand it's personal preferance. I'm gonna go with PB after a while, maybe after Afghanistan. Right now, I'm gonna go ahead and order my Fed del.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I just don't agree with the " flavor of the month" statement thats all.
DrClemente
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DrClemente »

It seems to me that you will receive a quality hat from any of the fine vendors mentioned in this thread. PB produces a quality fedora at his price; Akubra Federation is also a fine product; Keppler, AB - etc. You get my point. It comes down to personal preferences, the shades of color, crown height, felt used, and of course, how much you want to spend. As a newbie, I doubt that I could tell much of a difference between these, except for the AB which clearly stands head and shoulders above all the others in the opinions of COW members.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Very true. All I know is, different people like different things. As I have learned, people here have had great experiences and bad experiences with PB. When the time comes for me to get a top notch fedora, and if I choose PB, I'll write my own review. Hopefully it'll be a good one, but if not, then oh well...maybe next time. I really like the pics and the prices and the felt used in PB's fedora. And I like the fact that he's with the rodeo circuit. Being a former Pro Bull Rider, that means alot to me. And I have had some good hats in my past. And since he deals with alot of cowboys, I know he takes really really good care of his products.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They've been at it since the early 1900's, and are a 4th generation hat maker in Ft. Worth, so I imagine they know what they're doing. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Lol. Yea, being in it that long, they DO know what they're doing! Nothing better than that old school loving on a hat. :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Minnesota Jones wrote:One of these times, I have to get one of their Indy Panema hats, I have a Belloq styled Montecristi Panema, but PB's brown Indy Panema would be a nice lid to wear in the hot humid days of summer.
The PB Indy Straw isn't a panama, actually. It's very soft milan straw. It is the most comfortable straw hat I own when it comes to hot, humid days. However, I find the straw too floppy to hold a good shape for long. The brim kind of wilts over time. :lol: Stiffener would help tremendously. Otherwise, no complaints with the hat or the service.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

With all due respect and not to unduly "bash' (no pun intended) Peters Bros, but I purchased a custom Indy "_ 1" from them back when they were the talk of the town. As many old timers around here know, my experience with the hat itself was much less than stellar.

If you go to the link below, you can click on the first two fedora links and see the Peters Bros P1 compared to a standard Fed (courtesy of Rundquist!)

http://www.geocities.com/indyfrench/Gear.html

I had a heck of a time with my PB. The hat's bash was way off, despite being my proper size, it fit like a vice and was always uncomfortable - Eventually the hat faded and turned gray/green while the ribbon turned a near purple. The only reason it ended up being so soft was because I put it through the ringer trying to get it to loosen up.

I am glad to hear that all of the PB stories above are positive by and large. I am only contributing this story in an attempt to enhance a comprehensive dialogue, not generate bad feelings towards a company that HAS done its utmost to support our community, for which I am truly grateful.

Regards,
IndyFrench
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Two experiences; one very good, the other, I am still contemplating. Overall, I have been very pleased with my PB Customs.

I would like to see the "new" rabbit versions.

Sincerely,
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

BendingOak wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Ok, ok......pamana.....er....pname... oh, heck with it....straw hat! #-o
Regards! Michaelson

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.......and Panama Tom Jr, you could have life long project when it comes to me and spelling.
Hey Oak, there must be something about guys that can't spel and playin' in fires :wink:
I loved both my PB's. Both were pretty much bullet-proof. I 've got a pic of one of mine posted here viewtopic.php?t=25722 I pretty much wore and beat the @#$% out of this hat for a couple years. It's never been reblocked. Oh yeah, and one more thing, in certain lighting conditions, itlooks grey/gray #-o
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Blooze, I remember that hat and your right they do tend to bleed or fad to show that grey color. I would say don't relock it it will only look worse.
Hey Oak, there must be something about guys that can't spel and playin' in fires

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: