First Fedora For Forty Years

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

First Fedora For Forty Years

Post by Chevalier Krak »

How's that for alliteration? 32 would be more accurate, but not so euphonious. So I've been anticipating a package from Rob (Dr. Seuss). I get home from a long weekend in NH. It's been a week in transit, and I'm all atwitter. Nothing there! What a disappointment. We empty the car, and I'm mixing up some mac and cheese for the kids and defrosting the pipes when a shadow passes across the kitchen window. The UPS truck! I reach the door in a bound and the truck in another, and snatch the box away before he can even get his clipboard in action. It's a beautiful 1980s Stetson, nicely broken in. WOW! Even now, it shades my brow as I type. Looks a little weird, since I haven;t got a crease in it yet. Pics will follow ASAP. Thanks, Rob!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I see I'm not the only one to buy something from the Doc lately. :) Well, ya know...

;0
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Drwdn:

You are very welcome.

Personally, I had toyed with the idea of "loading" that crown with stiffener, for a "crunchy" looking bash. But, there are some, in the Forum, who cherish a "squishy" crown. So, I left it alone.

As you surmised, from my current posts, I am off on a "top hat" tangent.

I am glad (my wife, too), those hats are now being worn. Looking forward to your personalization of that lid.

Sincerely,
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Here is my vintage Stetson. The picture on me is a bad angle - the crown height is a good 5 1/4". Brim is 2 5/8" on the sides, 2 3/4" front and back. This is my first attempt at any sort of shaping. It is a soft hat, and the creases are softish.

Some more pictures:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/ ... on-Top.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/ ... n-Side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/ ... Front2.jpg
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

That fedora is starting to be a dead ringer for the Temple of Doom hat! Awesome!
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

Great looking fedora to me.
It looks as if it has served you well!
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Dward:

You have certainly given that hat, more character than I ever did.

Sincerely,
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

that hat has erned his rest. thanks for sharing it with us.

It's funny that every tappered hat that is posted people compare it with the TOD cockpit fedora. Is it me or didn't Willy grab Indy's hat and fan him with it and he put it on without fixing before he wen't into the cockpit?
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

True - but what's wrong with comparing it to the TOD plane hat? I know most people don't like that hat because of the taper, but even though I prefer the Raiders hat, I don't have any dislike of the sometimes tapered TOD fedora. I think it looks cool in its own way. I actually like it better than the LC fedora most of the time.