"Putting on the Ritz?"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"Putting on the Ritz?"

Post by Dr.Seuss »

A. Canon queried if my tall crowns, when combined with the standard brim dimensions, resembled "top hats."
Aeris_Canon wrote:When you order these really tall versions of an Indy hat you're not keeping the brim dimensions the same as what they'd be on a 5 1/2" open crown hat are you? I can't help but think that 6 1/4" with the 2 3/4" by 2 1/2" brim specs would look more like a top hat than a Raiders at that point. What do these hats look like on your head? :)
Alright then, what do you think?

PB Custom: Image

JPD: Image

The PB is 6 1/8 open crown. The JPD is 6 1/4. Several more photos for your consideration. (Sorry, the bash was washed out by the flash. However, I was more concerned with the brim vs. crown appearance.)
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... GP3989.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... /cropw.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... /crop4.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... ss/w-1.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... GP3982.jpg

And, a couple of "hat less" photos for scale and perspective.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... /crop2.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z183 ... crop4w.jpg

Again, I am 6'4" and 220 lbs. Those crowns would likely look "crazy tall," on most people. I would not recommend trying this at home.

(I have not seen my wife laugh, for so long, as when these pictures were being taken. But then, she took some of them.)

Sincerely,
Last edited by Dr.Seuss on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I have to say it looks a tad to tall to me in some of the shots. I don't know if its the angle or the hat is just to tall.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Pic crop4 reminds me of "Only the Shadow Knows". All in good fun. I think just a face shot won't give you the same perspective of scale as seeing a full -height shot would. So it may look a little tall without seeing your 6'4" frame. Probably looks proportional. Still a nice lid!

Peace.

Bemo
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Again, I am 6'4" and 220 lbs. Those crowns would likely look "crazy tall," on most people. I would not recommend trying this at home.
That and the shape of your face helps you pull it off nicely. My face is rounder so that crown wouldn't work on me at all. I even find that the Fed standard crown is a wee bit too high for me.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

No, I personally don't think your crown is too tall. Granted, I've always wanted my fedoras to have taller crowns then what they were until I got my Adventurebult. Now I have a fedora with the perfect crown height for me.

If YOU like it, that's the end of the debate.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Seuss, the tall crown works well on you! While most folks probably wouldn't look right with a crown that tall, it really suits you quite nicely. :wink:
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

The tall crown certainly suits your face. You could easily lose a bit of crown, though, and it would still look quite nice, if not more proportionate with the brim.

As for the brim dimensions, whatever they are, I think they are perfect for your long, thin facial shape.
Dr.Seuss wrote:I am 6'4"…The JPD is 6 1/4
I’ve looked, but I can’t see any dents in the felt, that must surely be there, from collisions with low hanging door lintels. :wink:

- Mac
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Yours is a strongly dolichocephalic skull, so the tall brim looks well on you. I don;t think it looks much like a classic topper at all, but does remind me of the broad-brimmed, tall hats you see in pictures of the Regency era. They look good on you, and you like 'em - 'nuff said.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

This is my first real Indy hat. It is a PB. The crown is 5 3/4" to 6" open, and the brim is 2 1/2" on the front/rear, and 2 5/8" on the sides. It is a little over three years old, and had the heck worn out of it for about 2 years. It is still my 'dirty' work hat. just another 'tall' crowned hat.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have to agree with AC - they are clearly tall for an Indy hat, but you have the right face for the higher crowns.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

"Dolichocephalic skull;" a phrase one does not encounter on a daily basis. Now, for a touch of geographic anthropology.

The PB is pinched at 5 inches. The JPD, closer to 5 1/8, or a touch "more." The "dents" are deep. I'll see if any side photos are "worthy."

Appreciate the comments; AC had me questioning my eye, vis a vis owning a potential collection of top hats. There is a methodology behind the crown height. I am curious to find if anyone else is using the same proportional system.

Need a day or so to "cook up that food for thought."

Sincerely,
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Yes, my hats are clearly, and intentionally, "tall." Simply my preference; but suffice to say, still not "toppers."

Sincerely,
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Definitely not a top hat by any means...a cool hat...yes....top hat no....
say, where's the rabbit :wink: just kidding
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

The hat works for you Seuss – given your size I think the standard height fed would probably look a little short on you. Also, let’s face it, all the good IJ fedoras are on the tall side. I was shocked when I got my first true IJ Fed (an AB) how tall the hat really was, but when I referenced the movie it was dead on.
“Your Fedora’s a Fedora, no matter how tall…”