The right fedora for YOU!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

The right fedora for YOU!!

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I'm still a newbie and I don't have a fedora yet. But when I finally get the treasured icon, I'm going to make sure it looks right on me. I firmly believe that unless you're going for a screen accurate look, you should get a fedora that looks good on you.

Let's face it, we don't look like Harrison Ford, so maybe the Raiders fedora isn't the best pick. But once again, if you're going for the "Raiders look", then great! By all means get it! But if you're going for an original look that would really bring you out, then be original.

I like one of Indy Magnoli's earlier posts when he said his fedora is a "Temple of the Lost Ark" look. That's being original! That's cool to me! But like I said, if you're going for a certain scene look, then get it! If you like the Raiders, or Temple, or Crusade looks, then go for it. But I don't want to be afraid to "shake things up a bit!" :)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Here, here!

I personally prefer the "Raiders of the Last Crusade" look! :lol: The high and straight shape of the Raiders hat looks god on me, but the long tight pinch looks funny on me. Also, when I order from Steve at AB, he has a photo of me and I tell him to adjust the hat to look right for my face.

My ideal hat dimensions are a 2 5/8" brim with an open crown between 5 1/2" and 5 3/4". Little or no taper looks best. So, I guess I'm lucky when it comes to this hobby.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Six (6) and 1/8, to 6 and 1/4 open crown. S.A. brim dimensions. "Tweaked," ever so slightly on a customized Delk/Lamode block. My preference.

Sincerely,
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Mississippi - Welcome to The Madness. You came for the gear, but you'll stay for the people.

I said that I've always tried to go for the "The Maltese Raiders of The Last Temple Of Casablanca," But I think I can say that I wore "The Crystal Skull" fedora before there was ever a "Crystal Skull." Not that it matters, anyway.

The point should always be to get gear that is the perfect ballence of Screen Accurate and looks good on you so that it suits your need. For some, the fulcrum is towards SA while for others it's more towards being more personalized.

What matters most of all, that you feel comfortable in your own skin and your gear while at the same time enjoying the company of the people herre who are keeping the hobby a live.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Welcome. My choice for a fedora is the Raiders look. Love the tight pinch on it.
best
Canada
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I think the LC hat was the most balanced, there's nothing overly exaggerated about it, but personally I prefer the Raiders for the tight pinch and unique brim. Even when I was 4 my crappy homebrew fedora was tightly pinched and at the time Raiders wasn't even my favorite Indy film.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Welcome to the club!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

How about Raiders of the Lost Bowery Boys?

:lol:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I go for a straight up Raiders looks since that IS what looks good on me, but I appreciate the sentiment. :junior: -IJ
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Ah, thanks for the greetings! I just got out of school. I can tell I'm going to really like Archaeology! I'm thinking about getting myself a Fed Delux for starters. I'll probably shape it and try out a few different creases for myself to see what looks good on me. Of course I'm gonna try the Raiders, but I can see myself having a cross between Raiders and TOD.

Afterwards, I'll probably break down and get an AB or PB after I get my shirt, pants, Aldens, and MKVII. What are ya'lls opinion on the Fed Delux for starters?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mississippi, there is a LOT of info and opinion on the Federation Deluxe. (As well as the other Akubra models and most other hats.) If you use the search feature and do a little research, you're likely to find more on the hat than you can read in one sitting! :wink: But it's good to see you settling in here. Welcome aboard. :wink:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Mississippi Jones wrote:What are ya'lls opinion on the Fed Delux for starters?
Personally, I think it's the fedora that everyone should own. You have to bash it yourself and you can try out different styles with out buying more fedoras. When you get a style you're happy with, go from there.
genphideaux
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by genphideaux »

Renderking Fisk,

Very sound advise, glad I did it that way. I can now tell a custom maker what I like and what will work for me...at least today... now ask me tomarrow, maybe a whole differant hat.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh dear. The madness is starting to work on him folks..... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Rgards! Michaelson
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Yea. I think I'm going to be pleased with the Fed Delux. I'm ready for my next pay check so I can order it! Hey, It's nice to finally meet you Michaelson! I've admired your pics for some time now! I really like your TOD tux too, by the way!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, I believe you're thinking of Minnesota Jones, who has been around about as long as I have.... :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

I suspect I'm the odd many out here but I think I look better in narrow brim rather than wide brim hats. Thus my Akubra Sydney and my Panama look better on me than my Akubra Adventurer, and worst of all is a Statesman I bought in Australia about a decade ago that is wide enough to provide shade for my entire family.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

AB is in Columbus, Mississippi!? That's only an hour away from where I live! I can just drive on up and check it out! This is so cool!!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

genphideaux wrote:Renderking Fisk,

Very sound advise, glad I did it that way. I can now tell a custom maker what I like and what will work for me...at least today... now ask me tomarrow, maybe a whole differant hat.
Once you go down the Khaki Path, for ever will it dominate your destiny and consume you as it did, Michealson's Apprentice...

Bink.

Thanks, Genphid - I apprecate the kudos. That's the best advice I can offer to all new fedora wearers. Akubra has been very good to this hobby and we shouldn't forget them.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hmm.... khaki? Nope, got vintage blue wool on today. :wink: