Buying a motorcycle... what do I do with my fedora?!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Buying a motorcycle... what do I do with my fedora?!

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

Well, like it says in the subject, I'm buying a motorcycle ('82 Yamaha XJ Maxim 1100, for those who are interested) and am concerned about traveling with my fedora. Obviously I have to wear a helmet, so what do I do with my fedora? Shove it in a saddlebag? Will that hurt it?

Right now I've got an Akubra Fed Standard, but I've got an AB on the way.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i have a motorcycle too. i would not be pleased with shoving an akubra or an ab in a saddlebag/tank bag or what have you. that would be baseball cap time imo. you could also check to see some crushable alternatives if you are set on wearing a fedora when the helmet comes off......or you can beat the heck out of your akubra (as it will take the beating) if you don't mind it not looking pristine anymore or holding the exact shape that you want it.....after all, you have an ab on the way :wink:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Get a hardshell carrier - problem solved :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

That won't work for my Lotus 7.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

get a hardshell carrier, duct tape it to your back and problem solved....kinda :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I don't think so.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Indiana G wrote:or you can beat the heck out of your akubra (as it will take the beating) if you don't mind it not looking pristine anymore or holding the exact shape that you want it.....after all, you have an ab on the way :wink:
I thought about this, actually. I've heard that Akubra's are renowned for keeping their shape, though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Believe it or not, check with Jimmie Pierce (JPDesign) and talk to him about this.

He makes and sells a metal travel hat carrier that might be adaptable to mount on a motorcycle, depending on the size of your bike.

Regards! Michaelson
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Since your Maxim is kind of a cruiser style, a travel trunk, or hard saddle bags would look out of place. However, there are lots of large heavy leather sissy bar bags at the after market shops that should hold their shape and protect your hat. You could easily make up some sort of bracket to hold it by the crown so the weight of the hat isn't resting on the brim.

Brian
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Chin strap.

;)
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

I agree with Hamish :D use a chin strap.or store it in a sidecar ;-)
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

maybe you could use a tacker like Ford :wink:
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

NEVER RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!

Please!

I have seen first hand the kind of devestation that can happen from head injuries from not wearing a helmet.

WEAR A HELMET!

Get a hard case to carry your fedora. Be safe first and worry about "the look" second.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Fedoraman wrote:NEVER RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!

Please!

I have seen first hand the kind of devestation that can happen from head injuries from not wearing a helmet.

WEAR A HELMET!

Get a hard case to carry your fedora. Be safe first and worry about "the look" second.
WV law states I have to wear a helmet, not that I wouldn't anyway, I'm just saying. I have no intention of riding without a helmet.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

So, ML, you have turned to the Mutt side of the force... :rolling:
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Canyon wrote:So, ML, you have turned to the Mutt side of the force... :rolling:
:lol: No, Canyon dearest, I'm just finally purchasing something that I've wanted for years. Though don't think that didn't cross my mind. Haha. I just can't get into the whole "greaser" concept, though (I hated the movie Grease).

Incidentally, here's a couple pics of my bike (as taken by the seller)...

http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d0/6c/2751_12.JPG
http://i1.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d0/6c/3173_12.JPG
http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d0/6c/374f_12.JPG
http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d0/6c/41ff_12.JPG

(Moderator Edit: Left other pics as links since it doesn't really pertain to hats. :wink: )
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

First, if you're riding a motorcycle, don't carry your fedora with you, you'll look like a goof ball. :wink:

If you have to, attach a chin strap, and drape it over that sissy bar thing on the back and let it flop in the breeze. :rolling:

When I ride my VFR, I go in motorcycle dress mode. I don't combine things. It's not worth the hassle.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Dalexs wrote:First, if you're riding a motorcycle, don't carry your fedora with you, you'll look like a goof ball. :wink:

If you have to, attach a chin strap, and drape it over that sissy bar thing on the back and let it flop in the breeze. :rolling:

When I ride my VFR, I go in motorcycle dress mode. I don't combine things. It's not worth the hassle.
It took me a while, but I finally understand what everyone is thinking: everyone thinks I'm trying to ride in my Indy gear! I'm not. I just want to know how to travel on a motorcycle while packing my fedora so I can wear it when I get to my final destination. I don't like hard cases, so it looks like my options are limited.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

You could also get a hatbox and pack it in a softcase. But that would be pretty big and awkward.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said above, contact JPDesign and see if he has any ideas to fabricate something for you. He's made these kind of boxes for folks to mount in pickup beds for several years now, and this might be an interesting project for him to contemplate.

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Mysterious Moderator wrote:(Moderator Edit: Left other pics as links since it doesn't really pertain to hats. :wink: )
Thanks! 8)
Michaelson wrote:Like I said above, contact JPDesign and see if he has any ideas to fabricate something for you. He's made these kind of boxes for folks to mount in pickup beds for several years now, and this might be an interesting project for him to contemplate.

Regards! Michaelson
I'm gonna look into that, Michaelson. Thanks! This'll be especially useful if I can get my AB before I go home for leave at the end of March. :D
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:
Canyon wrote:So, ML, you have turned to the Mutt side of the force... :rolling:
:lol: No, Canyon dearest, I'm just finally purchasing something that I've wanted for years. Though don't think that didn't cross my mind. Haha. I just can't get into the whole "greaser" concept, though (I hated the movie Grease).
Aww. How sweet. :oops:

Tell me, are you as smooth as that when you speak to your wife? :P
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Canyon wrote:Aww. How sweet. :oops:

Tell me, are you as smooth as that when you speak to your wife? :P
Not anymore. It goes unappreciated seeing as how she's trying to get rid of me... but that's a story for another time. :roll:

Good news is I have plenty left over that I've been dying to use. :wink: