Leather protection goop advice - long story

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Leather protection goop advice - long story

Post by Chevalier Krak »

I have a 2nd-hand Wested that I got from a member here that has become my hearts delight. Now all the parents in my son's Little Leagus, soccer amd lacrosse teams (many of the games are in the evening and it can still be quite cold here in New England) think I am a total weirdo, as I tell them about the heritage of my awsome jacket. The Wested is supple and flexible. I also own a black lether, zipper-rich jacket, now 30 years old, that I wore for years as a ski jacket. It is now impossible to zip over my mature (!) abdomen, but I would like to preserve it is as close to its original state as possible. I notice that it has become stiff and "crackley" over the years. The thought that my Wested may deteriorate in a similar fashion fills my heart with trepidation. What balm or restorative should I smear over my jackets to preserve them, and where are these products sold on-line?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

vp? michaelson? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=217

Best product for your situation.

Regards! Michaelson
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I've been fearing that my US Wings will dry up as well.
I was wondering if that Kiwi brand leather lotion works just as good as Pecards?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

For all we know, Pecards might have made that as well! :lol:

Seriously! :D

Keep in mind that the Kiwi, Lexol, and like products are water soluable. They clean and condition, but do NOT return the moisture back to the leather. The Pecards leather creame (really it's a jell) does moisturize and stabilize leather...old AND new.

It's about all I use on my leather gear now.

Regards! Michaelson
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Man, I can attest to how well Pecards works.

Last week I bought from a garage sale a pair of 30 year old binoculars. The leather strap was as stiff as an Englishman! It stunk up 3 applications of Pecards lotion before stopping but now its as soft as new.

The other thing I like about Pecards is that while it softens the leather it doesn't seem to make it weaker!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pecards leather dressing was originally created for museum curators to restore leather items in their collections.....so it only proves the product remains true to it's original purpose.

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Here's a question...

I have a very, very, very old leather jacket... My first actually, which I got about 7 years ago...

After moving to the hot and humid tropics, the jacket disappeared into a closet for the better part of 5 years, and when it was rediscovered, I realized that it was ridiculously stiff, immobile, and completely white (with mold).

It was sent to the cleaners, but came back still stiff as heck. Imagine wearing a jacket made of cardboard, and you'll get the picture. While I still can bend my arms and move in it, the whole jacket just seems to always revert to making me look like the tin-man.

Now I just keep the jacket around for sentimental reasons, especially since my newer Wested's fit much better on me (I never did grow into my jacket as planned). But I have to wonder, do you suppose that a dose of Pecards will do ANYTHING to the jacket? Or is it a goner? I'm afraid to even try... I almost feel like it belongs in a museum ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Caster, I picked up a 1940's horsehide jacket which had the heck worn out of it. It's just beautifully distressed from years of natural wear. It was also VERY dry. I ended up using half a tub of Pecards on it! It was so dry that it just drank the stuff in. I'd dress the jackdet, check the next day, and reapply to area which were still dry. I'll admit that it took years off the jacket and darkened it a bit (though you can still tell its vintage) but it brought life back into the jacket, no doubt. This is before I dressed the jacket:
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Bink, great story but it would help your point if there were some after photos to go with the before ones. But that is a really nice jacket before or after.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, if my digital camera didn't go belly-up trying to oblige, then I'd gladly provide an after pic.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Thanks for all the discussion! I will get a couple tubs of dressing and get to work on the old leather jackets and keep some for my Wested. I have had great luck on old harness, boots and the like with just saddle soap, but didn;t think that would work for clothing.
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

Michaelson wrote:http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=217

Best product for your situation.

Regards! Michaelson
You've convinced me and I just placed an order for Pecards. A question, though--is there any problem with using Pecard on something that has previously treated with Lexol?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No. Lexol is water based, and Pecard 'plays nice' with any other products of that type.

If you haven't already done so, there's a good 'primer' at the top of this section written by our own Leather Loco', who is actually the Vice President in charge of research AT Pecards!

Regards! Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

JulianK wrote:Man, I can attest to how well Pecards works.

Last week I bought from a garage sale a pair of 30 year old binoculars. The leather strap was as stiff as an Englishman! It stunk up 3 applications of Pecards lotion before stopping but now its as soft as new.

The other thing I like about Pecards is that while it softens the leather it doesn't seem to make it weaker!
Yup, Pecards is great stuff.

Makes your leather as soft as a Gatineaunian! :wink: :P :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Makes your leather as soft as a Gatineaunian!
Which is REALLY soft :D I think :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Makes your leather as soft as a Gatineaunian!
Touché! :whip:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Only kiddin'! :lol:
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

Based on the glowing endorsements here, I ordered some Pecards which arrived today. It did a dandy job on my CustomHide briefcase but not so much on my U.S. Wings "antique lamb" A2. Despite the claim that the A2 comes with an "antiquing process [which] allows the jacket to age rapidly as you wear it," the thing is still pretty shiny in its third year. Hence the Pecards doesn't soak in.

I guess I need to decide whether I want to remove the finish with alcohol or not.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Take a hair dry and put on low heat. Hold it close to the jacket until the Pecards liquified to the surface, then wipe off the excess.

It will dull down with this process.

THEN go with your alcohol work to remove the Wings surface.

If you try to do it with the Pecards involved, I'm not sure WHAT it will end up looking like. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

Michaelson wrote:Take a hair dry and put on low heat. Hold it close to the jacket until the Pecards liquified to the surface, then wipe off the excess.

It will dull down with this process.

THEN go with your alcohol work to remove the Wings surface.

If you try to do it with the Pecards involved, I'm not sure WHAT it will end up looking like. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
I ran it on the fluff cycle in the dryer with a beach towel and that got most of it off.

I'm not sure if I want to go the alcohol route or note. It's sort of "dressier" looking now so I wear it to the office every now and then. If it gets the so called "fifty mission look" I might not be able to.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Pecard is all I use on my jacket and whips. I use it on my Indy boots as well (whether they are Aldens or Red Wings ... depends on when you catch me). Pecards has saved a jacket I once owned from utter ruination when I thought I had taken it past the point of no return, and made my jacket look really good.
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

I broke down and did the deed (with alcohol). It's still a bit shiny from the Pecards.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That will slowly disappear with regular wear.

Regards! Michaelson
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

Michaelson wrote:That will slowly disappear with regular wear.

Regards! Michaelson
I have mixed feelings about the whole thing but can't turn back now. I found it kind of blotchy, so did the alcohol thing again. Now it is even more blotchy. I didn't realize it would remove the dye as well as the shine.

Oh well! Love the one you're with.