Getting stains out of leather?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Getting stains out of leather?

Post by mufflowne »

Does anyone know how to get this particular stain out of my new leather jacket? It looks like it was caused by some sort of a press-stud or something, while in stock.

Pecards didn't do jack.

I know it's not an indy jacket but i figure someone here must've had a similar experience or have had some sort of a stain they want to get out. I didn't find anything on the subject by searching the forum.

Any help?

And for those who are curious, that's the jacket.
http://www.mish87.com/random/frontfcj.jpg
http://www.mish87.com/random/backfcj.jpg
Guess the movie.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

fight club?

is it a rust stain? if it is, imo, the usual suspects that can eat rust might just ruin the finish on the jacket.....i'd leave it....as in the pic, i can barely notice it. my 2 cents.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Yeah, it's the Fight Club Jacket :oops: :D

I'm not too bothered by the stain but if it can bet gotten (is that real word?) out I'd try doing it.
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

Saddle soap?? Cleans all kinds o' crud off my white leather tennis shoes.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Saddle soap?? Cleans all kinds o' crud off my white leather tennis shoes.
Just a little personal warning about saddle soap. The other day I used it to clean what looked like an ink stain on my yellow deerskin riding gloves and it faded the area that was cleaned. Lucky for me they were only a pair of working gloves but I'd hate to see that happen to your jacket!!!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I really don't know, but does anyone suppose that a light scrubbing with Pecards might help any?
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Maybe, or try some weaker 50% alcohol (testing first somewhere hidden to see if it removes the finish). You might get it to lift the stain without harming the color.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

I've been advised against saddle soap by the dude who made the jacket, said it'd fade the color, cause it's analine leather, so the color is supposedly not very solid.

I might try rubbing it with Jack Daniels :D There happens to be one in a little wine-cooler right next to me.

I also heard analine jackets get patina over time. Any way to prevent that?
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Soul Revolver. Cool jacket. :wink:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I've used Scouts or Properts leather cleaner & conditioner with fantastic results (basically they're both the same product). I had a pair of cowboy boots years ago and had accidentally stepped in a pool of old motor oil. I thought the boots were ruined. Then I went to our local boot shop and they recommended this stuff. Several applications drew all of the motor oil out of the leather and left it looking good as new. No stains left behind and it helped condition the leather as well. I swear by this stuff.

Cheers!

Dan