Newest JPD

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Newest JPD

Post by Dr.Seuss »

My latest lid, a JPD was identified in my "ID This" post, almost immediately. While I previously experienced some issues with Jimmy (essentially delays and communication matters), it appeared his work and reputation warranted a second go around. Thus, this recent hat.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I am thrilled with the fit and finish. Very good to excellent. I asked for a 6 and 1/4 crown; and it came that way. The 1 and 3/4 leather sweat was soft and pliable from the first "put on."

Rabbit Felt. The felt is heavier/thicker than an Akubra, and thinner than a PB Custom. For me, this will undoubtedly be the hat I reach for in the summer months. (Actually, it is sitting on my noggin, as I compose this mini-review. Comfortable; yes.)

Overall color: a dark chocolate brown; deeper than my PBs or Fed Regular. Looks great.

The liner is a "satiny" deep emerald green with a white Jimmy Pierce Designs Crest. Jimmy custom embroiders your name into the liner. "Custom Made For.... ." Again, a very nice and personal touch.

Ribbon work was smooth and without any wrinkles. Block shape..... . Acceptable, but I tweak every one of my hats on my own Delk/Lamode hat block. That is simply a personal thing. (I have even modified the Lamode block to better fit my face/head/imagination.) When my AB arrives, it will undoubtedly be "refreshed" on that personalized block.

Standard Pierce dimensional cut brim dimensions. I did take a piece of multiple 0000 emery cloth to the brim edge, to blend out the cut marks. I wanted a smoother and more "dress" edge for this hat.

Jimmy, well done!!

Sincerely,
Last edited by Dr.Seuss on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I notice the back of the brim is flopped down, did Jimmy do that or you? Also, in the pics it looks like it has a very tall crown, how high is it?

Very nice lid though! :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

IndyFan89 wrote:Also, in the pics it looks like it has a very tall crown, how high is it?
Um, he just told you:
I asked for a 6 and 1/4 crown; and it came that way.
:wink:
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Thank you, Bink.

IF9:

I reshaped/steamed the brim to the flipped down look.

The crown, creased is 5 and 1/8. It started out, at just about 6 and 1/4, but I wanted a "serious center dent." That crown is far too tall for most.

Sincerely,
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

JPD is actually my" favourite" but like samuel, I emailed Jimmy for the same hat and I've never got a response :( perhaps it's because I live actually in Kenya (?)...It's a pity because, I really like his style :D .
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Sorry to have been out of touch, check the vendors section for more info.

The hat is $125 as long as the felt holds out. Do to the hardships of dealing with this felter I may not order any more. we will have to see how cooperative they are when the time comes.

shipping in the U.S. is $15, making the total $140.

Shipping to kenya is, I believe, $30.
I will double check that.

I will still ffer a rabbit felt Raider after the felt runs out, it will be the $150 version.

Jimmy
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Thanks Jimmy :wink:
Regards
Anjali
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Samuel wrote:Hey Seuss, nice hat! * * * How much did you pay for this one including shipping? Also, i can't really tell from the photos which color the ribbon is- it looks black in the top 2 pics and more purplish in the bottom 2.
Samuel: As Jimmy noted, $140.00 total. For me, seeking an 6 1/4 open crown, it seemed the "best" way to go.

The ribbon is neither black nor purple (actually I cannot see any purple in it); but rather, a dark chocolate brown. Blame my poor choice of color balance on the digital camera.

I am truly enjoying this hat. I cannot argue with the Gearheads who touted the JP.

Sincerely,