Show Your Indy MotB Cardigans!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Show Your Indy MotB Cardigans!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

At the request of Kentucky Blues, here's a new thread on Indy's Mystery of the Blues sweater. However, what I'd like to see in this thread is YOUR Indy-style cardigans! If you got 'em, show 'em!

Here's Indy's...

And here's mine!

I've had this sweater for a long time, and not because of Indy. :wink: But when I saw the shot above recently, I noticed the collar design is practically identical to mine! My sweater is pre-war, probably from the 1920's. It's wool and VERY warm! The buttons on mine have a neat detail to them, too. (And no, TR, I will NOT bleach and redye this sweater! :wink:) I've never tried wearing it under my leather jacket, though. So let's see your sweaters!!! :wink:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

....YAY!!! :D :D :D
And you know, I really wanted that sweater, or one just like it, until you posted that it was probably 20's. Now i choose to abandon the idea for the fact that I'll never be able to get one of that quality :lol: I do hope I can find a modern version in my size though, or perhaps a later-than-20's vintage one. I'm just so disappointed by the quality of modern cardigans. We need a vendor to start making these things! I'd love to have something warm that looks like that, and probably feels like that thing looks too. I know I'll probably never find one, but perhaps if I just don't look for one and refuse to face reality, I can keep hoping to find one without feeling bad when I don't :lol:

Very Eager to see how this thread pans out,
-Daryl

EDIT: Also, while Indy's does have that look because of the color, I commend your efforts (or lack there of?) to not dye or bleach it, not only because it's a page right out of history, but also because I'm partial to navy blue Sweaters ;)
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

I don't have one (yet), but here's one that might fit the bill...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UH4I1K/ref ... nkCode=asn

It's a little more green than brown, but the style is just about right.
Last edited by Mountaineer Lasher on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Not to steal Indy Magnoli's thunder here, but as it doesn't seem like he's going to be posting his sweater, I thought I might point people in the direction of his: viewtopic.php?t=2082&highlight=cardigan

:junior: -IJ
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I think Bink's wins. That thing, an indy jacket, and a nice, winter weight lid would make for the perfect attire in a cold winter.

-Daryl
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Provided your jacket is oversized and allows layering over a sweater this thick. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, I did try on my Wested over this sweater, and it works! The only thing is that this sweater is noticeably longer than the jacket, so it sticks out from the bottom.

Kentucky, I really do love this sweater and it was a complete lark that I found it, so don't give up hope! :wink:
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

.............would this be the "lark" in question ? :wink:

As you can see not only is it a complete lark it is a hard partying lark !

Seriously though....very nice sweater, makes me want to look harder for a vintage one !
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Here it is, as shown in a still from the never-aired "Mystery of the Hula."

Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Ha ! Looks great !
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Lands End has a pretty nice collared cardigan.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LambswoolSha ... CH=PAGE_17
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You did fine, bink, with the exception of the period incorrect wrist watch. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

HA! I knew you'd point that out, Michaelson! But I could argue it's a good "close enough" military watch. :lol: :wink: On the flip side, the hat is as old as the sweater! It's my vintage felt AB. :wink:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Nice job, but I think you need to be facing the other direction. And CARE about that hula story, don't just sit there looking suspicious! Though I imagine its not quite cool enough to be comfortable dressed like that just yet :-k But dang that's a nice sweater! When did I start caring so much for sweaters :-s

-Daryl
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Kentucky Blues wrote:Nice job, but I think you need to be facing the other direction. And CARE about that hula story ...
Not his fault. It was "Indiana Jerry Hula Story" done by the ...umm ... err ... uhh ... man, himself. Not for the faint of heart nor the weak of stomach. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Very true. It was shot in the opposite direction as an homage to MotB, though Jess is right, MotH a.k.a Indiana Jerry Hula Story, is not for the weak of heart. In fact, why do you think I was looking in the opposite direction? :shock:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:Provided your jacket is oversized and allows layering over a sweater this thick. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
I forgot to mention... this may be a thick sweater, but it really does fit fine under my Wested. I think this is because the sweater is a tight-knight, close-fitting sweater, unlike the bulky sweaters of today. The tightness of the wool knit is another reason it's so warm!
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Indiana Jess wrote:Lands End has a pretty nice collared cardigan.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LambswoolSha ... CH=PAGE_17
Wow, great find! I might just get me one of these to wear under my jacket for when the weather turns cooler/cold.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

binkmeisterRick wrote: On the flip side, the hat is as old as the sweater! It's my vintage felt AB. :wink:
Just out of curiosity, Bink, how did you find an AB made in the 20's? Was it a vintage hat that you had Steve re-block for you, or just vintage felt that you had fashioned into an AB? :-k

...oh, great sweater by the way :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Since I have one as well, and bink isn't 'in the room' at the moment, it was indeed vintage 1920's felt blocked by Steve on his AB blocks a few years ago.

A few of us were in the proverbial 'right place at the right time'.

Regards! Michaelson
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Huh, how about that... Thanks for the reply, Michaelson. I've been meaning to ask, where did the "hiding under the Plymouth" joke originate? :lol: Pretty funny if you ask me, but a little confusing at the same time :-k

Bink, any chance of some more pics of that, perhaps on a new thread in the Fedora category?

Thanks,
Andy
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I drive on a fairly often basis a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. A really chuck of Detroit iron. The old joke goes back to when folks post something that is SURE to draw flack or fire, they used to post they were going to go hide under their desk until the trouble passed by.

When I posted about owning and driving this behemouth of a car, now folks dive under the Plymouth for protection....and so it's become part and parcel of the forum in the past couple years.

ALWAYS room under the Plymouth to hide.....if you bring a flask of coffee and a sandwich, that is. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

:lol: Understood, sir! '50 Plymouth, that would be a pretty hefty chunk of metal; I think I would DEFINTELY feel safer under that than a desk! I'll remember that if I ever decide to joint the fray about the much debated gray hat!!! :roll:

Thanks Again,
Andy
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said....always room under the Plymouth.... :lol:

Another reason it became the hiding place of choise was due to a 1953 Popular Science magazine article I found in my prowling around antique stores several years ago. It was talking about the nuclear bomb testing they performed in Nevada, and (according to them) one of the safest places to be in a blast zone was your car. They showed a photo of a 1950 Plymouth (like mine), and a 1951 2 door Chevy after a blast, and with the exception of dented in roofs, the cars were relatively unharmed. Even the glass was still intact! :D

So, if they can survive an A-Bomb test, I guess you'd be safe during the brown/gray debates! :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks for answering the hat question, Michaelson. Yep, Andy, I was also in the right place at the right time. If I can get around to it, I'll try to post more pics in the fedora section. Now back to sweaters... :wink:
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Cool beans, thanks Bink.

I'll state, first of all, that I've never seen ANY of the YIJ episodes. I have come across photos, however, that appear to be Harrison Ford sporting a graying beard along with the ever-present fedora, and a brown cardigan not unlike the one Bink has. Is that the one we're talking about here? I never would've guessed he'd be doing a cameo in the television series...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's the one. He agreed to do it as long as they agreed to film close to his home in Jackson, WY....which explains the heavy snow in the shots.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yes, Andy, that pic (as shown at the top of the thread) is, indeed, Harrison Ford in a cameo for the "Mystery of the Blues" episode of the YIJC. It's the cardigan shown there that we're emulating here. :wink: If I remember correctly, Harrison is sporting the grey beard because the cameo was done during the same time he was filming The Fugitive.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Thanks for clearing that up. One of these days, I suppose, I'll have to watch the YIJ series and catch up to all of you more thorough fans :oops:
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I can't decide which color from Land's End is more screen accurate: the Deep Burgundy Heather, or the Spice Brown Donegal. Suggestions/thoughts?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Before you do that, you might want to take a pass through your local department stores. I saw a LOT of good candidates in Sears, J. C. Penney's, and Dilliards yesterday.

They must be making a 'come back' this season.

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:Before you do that, you might want to take a pass through your local department stores. I saw a LOT of good candidates in Sears, J. C. Penney's, and Dilliards yesterday.

They must be making a 'come back' this season.

Regards! Michaelson
Haha, I'd love to, but there aren't that many of those over here in South Korea. I might suggest that to the family, though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

A mere technicality.... =; :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:I can't decide which color from Land's End is more screen accurate: the Deep Burgundy Heather, or the Spice Brown Donegal. Suggestions/thoughts?
The have a feature now were you can order a free swatch.

I.C.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Charles wrote:
Mountaineer Lasher wrote:I can't decide which color from Land's End is more screen accurate: the Deep Burgundy Heather, or the Spice Brown Donegal. Suggestions/thoughts?
The have a feature now were you can order a free swatch.

I.C.
Oooh, thanks for the head's up!

Edited: Ah phooey, just went order a swatch and saw it's ON SALE! I need my yearly clothing allowance to hit my bank account. Hopefully it'll be there in a week and the cardigan will still be on sale. *crosses fingers*
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I'd go with the brown... The heather looks too red!

Heck, order them both and return the one you don't like! :lol:

C3
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

coronado3 wrote:I'd go with the brown... The heather looks too red!

C3
That's what I was thinking... what with ordering the brown. Thanks. :)
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:
coronado3 wrote:I'd go with the brown... The heather looks too red!

C3
That's what I was thinking... what with ordering the brown. Thanks. :)
I think it is a little dark but style wise it is pretty good.

Other bummer is spice brown not available in XXL :(
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

The screen grab looks very red. I got the brown from my mother as a late Christmas present and it is darned close!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that looks fantastic.....i've been hunting for one of those for the longest time but realized that my jackets would be pretty snug with them underneath.....i'd go with the tight fit if i ever found the right colour.....looks like you did...congrats.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Here's mine. Many thanks to Indy Magnoli for pointing me in the right direction.

:junior: -IJ
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

dwardeden wrote:The screen grab looks very red. I got the brown from my mother as a late Christmas present and it is darned close!
Dwardeden, what size jacket do you wear and what size sweater did you buy? How's it fit under the jacket with the long-sleeved Indy shirt under that? That spice brown color does look VERY close! It's my pick!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, I think it needs to be a requirement that if you show a pic of your sweater, you have to be holding a musical instrument, too! :lol: Nice cardigans, guys! :wink:
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Woot! XXL Tall spice brown came back into stock (my wife said to keep checking) so I ordered mine. Yes I think the color is pretty close, that picture we all look at is very red tinted, I did a color corrected version for my own reference.

Of course, once MotB is on DVD, we can do a good screen grab or two.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

ML:
That's a 42 Wested over the L cardigan. The L is actually a bit loose on me. I am 5'6 and 195 (and dropping, thank you, South Beach!), so I might try a medium. Unfortunately, they only have that size in white and Classic Navy Heather. The latter isn't close to SA (but then, the spice brown isn;t all that close, either, if the screen grab is to be believed), but is actually a very nice color.
Sorry, to get back to the question, I have very large shoulders and average arms, and the fit of the sweater under the jacket is quite comfortable. The material is not hugely thick, so I see this combo will working for 3 seasons Fa Wi Sp.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

dwardeden wrote:ML:
That's a 42 Wested over the L cardigan. The L is actually a bit loose on me. I am 5'6 and 195 (and dropping, thank you, South Beach!), so I might try a medium. Unfortunately, they only have that size in white and Classic Navy Heather. The latter isn't close to SA (but then, the spice brown isn;t all that close, either, if the screen grab is to be believed), but is actually a very nice color.
Sorry, to get back to the question, I have very large shoulders and average arms, and the fit of the sweater under the jacket is quite comfortable. The material is not hugely thick, so I see this combo will working for 3 seasons Fa Wi Sp.
I'm just a hair under 6' but am only 170 and have wide shoulders with long arms (hence me getting a Tall). I wear a 40 from Todd, so hopefully the Large-Tall will fit me well enough. I just went to Lands End's website and was able to select the Spice Brown in this size, too. Looks like I'm gonna have to go ahead and order it! :D 8)

Edited: Just did! Let's see how long it takes to get to me here in Korea!
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Great Jackets ;-) I'm just looking for one of that kind a long time ago...
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just got my cardigan today! Wow, that was fast! I'll see if I can't get a picture up here sometime in the near future. I don't have an instrument, but can I use my cane as a stand in, Bink? :wink: :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:Just got my cardigan today! Wow, that was fast! I'll see if I can't get a picture up here sometime in the near future. I don't have an instrument, but can I use my cane as a stand in, Bink? :wink: :lol:

:lol: Sure! Just show you in your new sweater! :wink:
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I got mine yesterday - I still need to find the right scarf to go with it, so no pictures.

Mine fits well under my Wested and is quite comfortable. The only issue is that because it is a tall (which I needed for sleeve length) is that it hangs down about 1" below the Wested at my waist.

The color is great! I thought I would need to bleach it a bit, but I am pretty happy with it, especially when compared to my Wested/Federation color.

I have a LC/MotB tie as well, so that works. :)

Any scarf tips?