Brim size

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Brim size

Post by Rambler »

How does one decide on the "best" brim size?
I know a dimensional cut is key to the Indy look, but, how does a hatter determine from a persons head and face shape how big is correct? Also, since the crown height is somewhat fixed for any given block and bash, the width of the hat based upon the hat size and "roundness" of the wearer's head will change the ratio of width to height and therefore the overall look and proportions.

There is definitely a lot more to getting and wearing a hat that looks good on you than going off the rack and plopping it on your head.
(preaching to the choir, I know)
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Now, we are talking proportions! My interest involves the correct method to determine crown height.

Brims can always be trimmed; correct? But adding more crown, now that's another proposition.

So, is there any general thought on the correct "height" for a given face/head?

Sincerely,
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Dr.Seuss wrote:Now, we are talking proportions! My interest involves the correct method to determine crown height.

Brims can always be trimmed; correct? But adding more crown, now that's another proposition.

So, is there any general thought on the correct "height" for a given face/head?

Sincerely,
Well you wouldn't want to trim the brim of a hat that's got a bound edge or a welted edge.
I bought a Fed at the same time I ordered a hat from Art which had similar dimensions. Well I got the Fed in 10 days and I looked like a kid wearing Dad's hat. Well I trimmed a 1/4 inch off the brim and that made all the difference in the world. I sent before and after picture to Art as my hat was still on the block and he modified the design to better fit my rather narrow face.
Now I had no problem cutting the brim on a brand new $100 hat with a raw edge but cutting a $300 hat with a bound edge, that a whole nother story.
Bob
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I don't think there's any specific mathematical formula for determining what crown height and brim width works. You just go with what "looks good" and/or the preferences of the wearer. That's where part of the artistry of hatmaking comes in... the hatter has to have a discerning eye.