Wested's Aliens Jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Wested's Aliens Jacket?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Hi all, I know this is straying off topic a little, but here goes...

Does anyone own, or know anything about the Aliens jacket reproduction that Wested sells? Long story short, I am getting a friend a Wested for an Xmas gift, and am still deciding between this and a very custom unisex Indy jacket (since the ladies cut is apparently only available without mods).

Anyway, back on topic. I was just wondering exactly how accurate the Wested repro is to what is seen on screen? Given that Aliens came out around the same time as Indy, I suppose it isn't too far-fetched to assume that the pattern they use for this jacket is based on, but not directly from, the original jacket?

The best thing I could find online was this link from Filmjackets.com:
http://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74
But even though the author of that post talks rather in-depth about the screen used jacket, he/she doesn't seem to have a current replica to compare it to.

One of the main questions that I have is if the current jacket available has all those nifty sci-fi features found on the original jacket, or if it's just a ladies cut Indy jacket with epaulettes and ribs? Just to get my point across, here are some good shots of the movie jacket from the aforementioned link:

If anyone could chime in, I would really appreciate it! :)
emaresea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by emaresea »

I am no expert on these matters, but having started with that comment:-

Wested's Aliens Jacket is stated to be based on on A2 with added packets and features. Wested also make the Memphis Belle A2 jacket, which I also own as well as a LC Indy.

The Memphis Belle A2 has the following differences from a "real" copy A2:-
1. The zip finishes at the bottom of the leather, where the waist knit attaches
2. There is elastic inside the waist knitted band
3. There are 2 press studs at the bottom below the zip
4. The throat latch has been replaced with a press stud
5. There is an inside pocket
6. There are hand warmer pocket behind the patch pockets

From the photos you posted the Aliens jacket does indeed look like an A2 and presumably Wested based it on their Memphis Belle jacket

Having said all that I like mine, but might ask Wested to make a few mods if I ever get around to it. I find it slightly warmer than the LC especially in cold winds.

Hope this answers some of your questions

HAPPY CHRISTMAS everyone

Martin
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Thanks for the response, emaresa. I didn't read the Wested page when I wrote the first post, and you're right, they apparently do have what they call
Special pockets on the sleeve and front
Although I'm still curious as to just how S.A. these "special pockets" are, since the term can be a bit vague.

And are these by any chance the press studs that you refer to?

If yours are anything like the studs on my Westeds, then I'm guessing it's silver? ;) I'm wondering if the Aliens jacket repros are brass, since that seems to be the S.A. color.

Good to know that we have another Wested wearer out there! :) Though that doesn't *quite* answer my question, I still appreciate the input, emaresa! I'm still wondering if anyone knows anything more specific about these repros?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I got one for my youngest daughter several years ago. It is basically a modified A-2 with sleeve pocket (zippered pocket with pencil slots, as I recall).

The original was made out of lambskin. I had the one made for my daughter in new finish cowhide.

Regards! Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Other than the pockets, that jacket has gussets/pleats running from the shoulders to the waist that appear a lot different from the action pleats on the Indy jacket. They are more typical of the gussets you would see on a motorcycle jacket. The lambskin is not though. If I was fighting aliens with acid for blood and big teeth, I would be wearing at least a horsehide.

Thank you for referencing the site where you got the photos...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Thanks Michaelson, I had a sneaking suspicion that you would be the only person on this board to ever come in contact with an Aliens jacket ;)

Rick, I suppose it's true that horsehide would be a good idea... but this is acid blood, and big, sharp, pointy incisors we're talking about! To be durable-authentic, you'd probably need futuristic body armor, nevermind horsehide or cow! :P ;) Say, are you THE Rick from that Filmjackets.com thread? Small world! :shock:

Looks like this Wested might have all the features on it after all! Sounds good, since I was mostly worried that it was just going to be a ladies'-cut A2.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I'm no expert on Wested as I've never dealt with them. But the feeling I get from hanging out here is that their stuff is more likely to be SA as long as two factors are the case:

1) They designed the patterns for and constructed the original screen-used jacket.

AND

2) They didn't lose and still have access to the original patterns from which they constructed the original screen-used jacket.

If that's the case for the Aliens jacket, I reckon you're home-free. :)