1%

Total votes: 104

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Favorite Jacket

Post by IndyFan89 »

What is you favorite style jacket!

If someone could post some screen caps of all four styles that would be awsome.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Like most here I like the Raiders jacket the best but the ToD jacket looks great too- even if we don't see it that much. Both way ahead of the LC jacket and what we've seen of the CS jacket IMHO...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I know I'm in the minority here, but my favorite is the LC jacket. I just like those press studs and D rings. Despite what some say about the CS jacket, it's quickly shaping up to be my favorite jacket, especially since it's essentially an improved LC jacket.
Guardian Devil
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Guardian Devil »

I'm with the LC style all the way! That thicker tougher look makes it seem more functional to me
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

While I’m probably siding with the majority in favoring the Raiders jacket, I will say that I don’t hate the others per se. Each had their own character and would not mind wearing any of the 4 styles (although the collar on the LC and KotCS is a little large for my taste.) But again, if I were to go with just one, I’d have to go with original…
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

ImageImageImageImage
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Yeah - the same hat too...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

_ wrote:I'm confused - didn't they use the same jacket for each of the movies? :shock:

I wonder if anyone will get this vague reference ;)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Well, now that you mention it, your name does sound suspiciously like Pod-derson... Welcome to Bizarro world! :P
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

My favourite has always been the TOD jacket. The more-snug fit, the smaller pockets, the way it hung off harrison. I think it's mostly due to his physique in the movie though...but it's just the look I like most, and it somehow looks more rugged in TOD than the other movies.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

yeah.... the distressing job on the ToD jackets was great in my opinion. The jackets looked like they've been used and abused. In LC the jacket looked like someone had sandpapered the seams.... :?
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

In LC the jacket looked like someone had sandpapered the seams....
That's probably because likely that's exactly what they did. I think part of the problem is that on screen you have to overdo things a bit (like make up and obviously distressing) in order for the camera to pick it up. That's part of the reason the LC jacket when seen with the naked eye and in screen caps looks a little over done. The other part is that I think they went a little overboard in making it look more distressed than they did in the other movies. I agree that the sanded seems are a little over the top.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I may be out to lunch, but to me it looks like the jacket seams in all 3 movies were worn - it's harder to pick up in Raiders as so many of the shots of the jacket were either in dark lighting or when the jacket was very dirty. The difference in the LC seams is that they look raw - RotLA and ToD the wear on the seams is darker and more random, therefore more subtle. LC looks like they sanded all the seams on the set right before shooting...
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Honestly, I like them all, but each one has at least one issue that makes it less than a 100% pleased-with thing for me. I voted Raiders because I liked it 98.5%. The drape was great, it's my favorite collar, and fit HF in such a great way. I just thought it was a little too short.
TOD is a close second (say 96% liked). Great distressing, better length, and the drape made Indy look more tired, less heroic (which is true at the start of the film), and even made him look smaller. Of course, you see the jacket much less, and it disappears entirely by the time he evolves into the larger-than-life hero in the second half of the film. I felt that his wearing of it at the end punctuated the character's evolution because it didn't look as much like that the jacket belong to that Indy. OK, maybe I'm getting too deep, but that's what I see.
LC - design is ok, but the distressing looked less authentic. CS - so far I just don't like the collar... but I won't pass final judgement until I see it in action.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

raiders fit the most naturally.. i felt everything else was a costumy raiders version (I prefer shorter jackets anyway) though i much prefer his professor outfits in ToD and LC
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

I wonder if people's opinions of which jacket looks best is influenced by which movie they liked the most. For years I used to like TOD the most, and I always liked the look of indy in TOD the most so it stuck. (Now, I think my favourite would be raiders - although I still find TOD and LC more re-watchable)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Dre wrote:I wonder if people's opinions of which jacket looks best is influenced by which movie they liked the most. For years I used to like TOD the most, and I always liked the look of indy in TOD the most so it stuck. (Now, I think my favourite would be raiders - although I still find TOD and LC more re-watchable)
Well.... duh! ;) :P

My favorite Indy movie as a kid was LC, and it was THE Indy movie to me growing up. So naturally, when I thought Indy, I thought LC Indy.

Oddly enough, even though I've recently rewatched Raiders, and find it a better movie than LC, I still prefer LC gear, since IMO, Indy in LC is, and always will be to me, THE Indy. If that makes any sense...
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Well.... duh! ;) :P

My favorite Indy movie as a kid was LC, and it was THE Indy movie to me growing up. So naturally, when I thought Indy, I thought LC Indy.

Oddly enough, even though I've recently rewatched Raiders, and find it a better movie than LC, I still prefer LC gear, since IMO, Indy in LC is, and always will be to me, THE Indy. If that makes any sense..
It makes sense to me ... but you've just gotta hate the tie and leather jacket combo! Talk about an unnecessary and surefire way to totally wreck the adventurer look!
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Castor Dioscuri wrote: Well.... duh! ;) :P

Oddly enough, even though I've recently rewatched Raiders, and find it a better movie than LC, I still prefer LC gear, since IMO, Indy in LC is, and always will be to me, THE Indy. If that makes any sense...
It's the same way with me and ToD, Castor. :D

Naturally, I voted ToD. T'is a nice jacket.

Regards,
Swindiana
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Wasn't the tie just there because he was wearing it as a disguise and didn't have time/forgot to take it off? I never really noticed it was in the movie much until I read people complaining about it on here :o I do see how it'd irk some people though.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Dre wrote:Wasn't the tie just there because he was wearing it as a disguise and didn't have time/forgot to take it off? I never really noticed it was in the movie much until I read people complaining about it on here :o I do see how it'd irk some people though.
Yes, a very poor disguise IMHO, costume-wise at least. Now, the Map Room robes in Raiders - there's a cool looking disguise for you!
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Actually I'm not so sure it was a disguise - I think he had it on before he entered Castle Brunwald. If was part of his "Scottish Lord" disguise he would have taken it off after he KO'd the butler.
One thing the tie does do in my eyes is it kind of makes him seem more like a kid around his father. If he had worn the typical rough and ready look with his shirt unbuttoned it would have been harder to pull of that child-like awkwardness around his dad.
No matter how grown up I may feel, I still feel like a little kid when I'm around my Dad - although my Dad was a true Indy style adventurer in his day, our relationship is more like Henry Sr. and Henry Jr. - so much so that my wife makes the comment everytime we watch LC - probably why I relate to the LC story so much...
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm laying on a couch in a shrinks office? 8-[
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

indy had the tie-on when he pulled up to the castle and started getting his gear ready for the 'rescue mission' :D
Niob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Niob »

First Raiders then ToD. LC isn't my thing. Like the movies :lol: 8)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I hated LC the movie, but I like that jacket best (apart from the distressing). Raiders is by far the best of the movies. The new jacket looks good to me too.
MisterJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Favorite Jacket

Post by MisterJones »

Hi, personally I like the LC jacket most, because it's my favorite movie! The press studs are practical as well as the bigger pockets. Okay, it's a little bit "over-distressed" ... but ... you keep in mind, a few year are gone between Raiders is LC?! My next jacket will be Raiders or TOD ... I still not sure ... the TOD jacket got THE ultimate jacket drape :D
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

I'm actually surprised and a little disappointed that the ToD jacket hasn't ranked higher. Raiders is by far my favorite movie, but I've always liked the Temple jacket more, even before I learned that it was in fact longer. I really thought from the discussions I've read here over the years that the ToD jacket was more popular. :-k
Well, I've got a size 44-46 goat Wested Raiders jacket if anyone would like to trade me for the same in Temple of Doom style. ;)

Ron
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I think the results are what you would expect. By far most members have tried to get an SA Raiders. TOD and LC are rarely mentioned as must get jackets.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Panama Tom Jr. wrote:One thing the tie does do in my eyes is it kind of makes him seem more like a kid around his father. If he had worn the typical rough and ready look with his shirt unbuttoned it would have been harder to pull of that child-like awkwardness around his dad.
Thanks for the insight, Tom--it helps me understand where the filmakers were coming from when trying to convey the idea/concept to the viewing audience. I've always noticed the tie b/c it "just sticks out" to me. So, I guess their plan worked!

As for the topic, for practicality I like the bigger pockets on the LC jacket. But I choose the Raiders style b/c it looks better to me--probably due to the fact that Raiders was the first Indy movie I saw and, since then, I had always wanted the jacket and whip.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

CM wrote:I think the results are what you would expect. By far most members have tried to get an SA Raiders. TOD and LC are rarely mentioned as must get jackets.
Seems that way. It's a shame, as I genuinely beleive the TOD jacket looks the best and more heroic for some reason - but then the raiders jacket looks more genuine (and honest) if that makes sense.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I voted ToD, but only because that's my favorite jacket - not because it's my favorite movie, although it may become my favorite after a while... I also feel it's more rewatchable than Raiders. I just like the way the jacket looks in that one. ToD Jacket for Shane.

Shane
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

I tend towards the ROTLA jacket, as that is MY iconic Indy movie - The others, much as I love 'em, were all second and third helpings of a favorite pie. I do like the jacket in all its manifestations, however. I even like the tie and leather jacket combo, and don't think it detracts at all. Remember that Indy was only a generation removed from many explorers who would have not thought to have gone into the wild with collar, cuffs or neckwear awry!