An Alden Tale (WARNING: contains suspense)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

MK
Admin Emeritus

An Alden Tale (WARNING: contains suspense)

Post by MK »

One ringy-dingy,….. two ringy-dingy. Hmmmm......I thought. I have got to get to the bottom of this. Three ringy-dingy….. The story about the "Alden trunk show had inspired me to action. A mere $100 for a pair of 405's! Can this possibly be true!? Four ringy-dingy…. “Alden of New England, can I help you”? The voice on the phone said. Ahh…yes. I was wondering if you have any “trunk shows” scheduled for the Los Angeles area? "If you will hold one moment and I will find out.” Thank you.

What are the chances of these guys having a show in my area? In 2007…maybe. “Are you anywhere near Pasadena?” Yes, that is not very far. “Oh good. You are in luck. They is one tomorrow at Rangoni Firenze Shoes.” My heart skipped a beat. Great! Will they have the whole line? “Oh yes, of course.” Thank you.

As I hung up the phone my mind was racing. I was envisioning myself getting a spare pair of 405’s. I had been extremely fortunate to find a pair in the old brown color in my size. Could it be possible that I could get a second pair in that color? Could lightning strike twice? Awww…..this is ridiculous, I told myself…as I tried not to get my hopes up.

The next day I was in my car making my way to the shoe shop. I had called on the phone to get directions and make sure the rep had the whole line. I had resisted the urge to post my discovery until I had found out more. No need to cause a stamped. Besides….I wasn’t going to let anyone beat me to the punch. Now I was worrying. What if someone else had called? What if they are already there? I could just see myself running into the store panting for breath only to find some nasty little Frenchman in a pith helmet scoffing at me. “Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away. Bwwwwaaaaaahahahahaaa!!!!” NOOOOOOO!…..

As I came to my senses I realized I had been screaming and was white-knuckling the steering wheel. I forced myself to calm down. I decided to quit speeding down the sidewalk, so I pulled back onto the street and back off the accelerator, which seemed to relieve the panicked pedestrians.

I arrived at the shop and jumped out of the car. I left my jacket, fedora, whip, MK VII bag, Smith & Wesson 1917 and Aldens in the car. That’s right…..I was undercover. I walked nonchalantly into the shop. No Frenchmen……good luck so far. I tried to walk at a leisurely pace to the back of the store, which is where it appeared that the Aldens were, but my heart was racing and my palms were sweaty. Some saleswoman started fallowing me. Oh no. See is tracking me. “Can I help you?” No, thank you….I tried to sound uninterested, but I sure she could see right through me. What could she possibly know about shoes that were made for adventure? OK….it was a sexist thought, but she didn’t look the type. She wasn’t discouraged though and continued to keep me under surveillance.

I reached the Aldens and began scanning for THE boot. Not on the table. Not on the left wall. Not on the right either. Were there any 405’s? Was it in back? Could it still be in the truck? Did the Frenchman beat me to it? I felt the panic coming back now and found myself unconsciously reaching for my .45…it was gone! Then I remembered it was in the car. This only added to the dread.

There was a jovial salesman helping some guy who seemed not to know what he wanted. The salesman appeared to be very knowledgeable. I assumed he was the Alden Rep. I tried to wait patiently to ask him about the boot, all the while the sales gal was drilling holes in my back with her eyes. Maybe I had under estimated her. See might know more than she was letting on. Could she be French?

Finally the very confused man had mercy on me. “Why don’t you help this guy? He has been waiting patiently and I am going to be here a while.”

“Hi there. Can I answer any questions?”
I felt I knew the answer already but…..throwing caution to the wind I asked: Do you have the Alden 405s?

“Oh….you mean the Indy boot.” Had I blown my cover? Did I have “that” look? Was there a tan line from my fedora? I tried to play dumb and act like I didn’t know anything about Indy.

“I don’t have that one. It is a work boot in our orthopedic line. I just have dress shoes today.” I knew it. My heart sank. “Actually…..I think I might have a sample in the car. Hold on a moment.” These words jolted me back to life.

He came back with one boot that was obviously too small for me. Foiled again…..but hang on……the color was different than any other Alden I had seen. It was very close to my old browns. Perhaps Alden had returned to the original. Also the sole looked different……kind of like particleboard. The lip of the sole wasn’t as big on the toe and the stitching was closer to the edge.

…….Stay tuned for An Alden Tale part 2.

Tomorrow.
Last edited by MK on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Making me wait until tomorrow to hear the rest of this story ... have you no sole?

If you tell me they have 9 1/2 EE's in the orginal brown, I'll be forced to do something drastic ... like drive down there!
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

Me too..... :shock: whats the size....
would it happen to be an 8 or 8.5? D or E......
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

MK, I am going to kill you. I can be there tomorrow!
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

i dont usually care about shoes.. or shoe shopping. i'm happy as long as mine dont leak or have holes and the laces dont make me trip... but MK you made me laugh a couple times, and heck... i was even in suspense!! *cue in bold 1930ish radio announcer's voice* "WILL MK FIND THE BOOT? WILL HE BEAT THAT NASTY LITTLE FRENCHMAN?? WILL HE GET A SPEEDING TICKET AND GO TO JAIL FOR HIS RECKLESS DRIVING!? STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT SUSPENSEFUL EPISODE!! and dont forget to drink your OVALTINE!!"
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

An Alden Tale part two:

Even though I tried to look only mildly interested, the rep being the seasoned veteran of the shoe industry knew I was nibbling the bait.

“This is the boot Harrison Ford wore in the Indiana Jones movie. Actually he had been wearing them when he was a carpenter. He was having back trouble and went to see one of my little retailers, a guy named Fritz over on Sepulveda. He sold Ford our 405 boot, so when he played Indiana Jones, the costumer got him some big old boots, but Harrison said he didn’t want to wear those and that he knew exactly what he wanted to wear.

You see this boot was introduced into our line around 1940 so it was perfect for the movie. So the costume people called up Fritz and ordered four pair of 405s in 10D.”

That’s interesting, I said as I did my best to act like I was hearing this all for the first time.

The salesman sensed me on the hook and started to reel in the line. “This boot hasn’t changed since it was introduced. It’s an old style construction. See the sole is cork (I think that is what he said) and this heel is an old style (something). In fact, my retailer in San Francisco put them on his website and stated it was the Indiana Jones boot and sold 600 hundred pairs the first year. We had been making them from materials we had in stock for years, so the price was still just $185 or so. When we ran out and had to buy new materials it shot the price up to $250. He wasn’t very happy but what could we do.
… .actually this sample here is from 1975 or so.”

Really? I said. At this point I bit down hard on the hook. :shock:

……stay tuned for An Alden Tale part three.
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

PART THREE? I hope this is only a Trilogy, the suspense is killing me!!!
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

An Alden Tale part three

Wow! I thought as I tried to contain myself. This wasn’t the new 405 boot. This was a Raiders era boot in brand new condition. Should I just grab it now and run? Should I say, What was briefly yours is now……nah I can’t do that. I’m not French.

So this is from 1975? It looks so new. Are you sure? I asked. Time to reel in my own line.

“Oh yes. I can tell you the year of a pair of Aldens by what material it is made of and how it was made. It takes twelve weeks for us to make a pair of shoes. We make them the old fashioned way. Also there is a code inside the shoe that says when it was made.”

So does a new pair look just like this? I asked.

“Pretty much. The color is a little lighter on the new ones, but it is the same boot. I can measure you and order you a pair with no obligation. If you don’t like them, you won’t have to buy them and if you order today, I will throw in a $30 shoe tree” (so much for a $100 pair).

Well, I could order them online and not pay tax. A colleague of mine loves his and I wanted to try a pair on.

“Let me give you Fritz’s number on Sepulveda. He might have a pair your size.”

Thanks, I replied. I took the number and a catalog, which didn’t have the 405 and headed for the car. About half way I decided that I should grab my digital camera and document this artifact. A few minutes later I was back with my trusty Canon (no, not my 1917) and shot a few pics of this piece of history. The salesman was busy again with the confused customer. Everybody seemed puzzled. They were scratching their heads wondering why this yahoo was taking pictures of a shoe. I didn’t care. I had a find of incredible historical significance.

So I strode with pride from the shop with a smile of satisfaction on my face. I didn’t have what I came for, but I think I got something better…..another piece of the puzzle. I was one step closer to the truth. The true story about the gear.

Now where can I find a screen used fedora in prime condition? ……but that’s a story for another day.

Until the next adventure……

MK
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Not as happy an ending as I had hoped but, a great story anyway.

Thanks!
Kit Walker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kit Walker »

MK

Bravo Sir! Wonderful story, simply wonderful. Very suspensful too.
Sorry your expedition didn't work out the way you hoped, but you did get some very fine pieces...er...I mean pictures of a truly rare find.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Pasadena?

You should have called me for backup.
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

=D>
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

great story...
nice suspense. I though you were really gonna
get a pair from 1975. oh well.

by the way...... what size were they..... :D
Atticus
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Atticus »

Ah yes the Alden trunk show. Looks like I started something here. The store I went to did indeed sell me a pair of Aldens for $100. The sales rep from Aldens was extremely nice and thanked me a hundred times for coming in to check out their line. When I said I was the one who called about the 405's, he knew right away the reason. "Ah yes, the Indy Boot, the same shoe Harrison Ford wore in the Indiana Jones movies." "Oh... Really?" pretending not to know anything about it. Now why 100 bucks? He said that this would be the last line of 405's for another 10-12 weeks, or maybe cause we both had a passion for rugby? I really didnt want to argue about the price with him. I just gave him my moms credit card and ran (walked really fast) out of the store. I was probably at the right place at the right time, but I suggest you guys go try and find these various trunk shows. Try and sweet talk these reps into a good price.

Good luck,

Atticus
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

How can I find out if there is a trunk show coming in my place (bay area, California)......

CJ
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

This falls right in line with what Lee Keppler told me. I got one of Fritz's last pair (the same as MK's), and Lee told me that there was a color right before the one that I got that was right for Raiders. Those look like them. Cheers
Atticus
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Atticus »

I was lucky and just showed up at the store where I knew sold Aldens, they just happend to be having the trunk show. MK said that he called Aldens of New England and they told him when and where a trunk show would be in his area. So im guessing if you just called them or Emailed them you could find out.

Atticus
Indydawg

Ok..so, I have to ask...

Post by Indydawg »

What size WAS the pair from '75?

If you say 8.5C/D I'm going to die, right here, right now...

Indydawg
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Ok..so, I have to ask...

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Indydawg wrote:What size WAS the pair from '75?

If you say 8.5C/D I'm going to die, right here, right now...

Indydawg
Same here! 1975 was when I was born! A 8.5 C would probably fit me.
MK, did you offer to buy it?
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

It was an 8 something. I am not exactly sure.
Indydawg

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Post by Indydawg »

If ever I was going to have another pair of Aldens...THOSE would have been them....

Ah, @#$%!

:x
Indydawg
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

What's the phone number... I would like to call these guys to see if there's another Truck Show here in New England.
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

An 8....

ohhhh, that's my size.
I think I'm gonna PM you......

:D

CJ
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Renderking Fisk wrote:What's the phone number... I would like to call these guys to see if there's another Truck Show here in New England.
You mean trunk show? I'm not sure if all the reps drive a truck, but I have this image of Mr. Haney from the show Green Acres with a truckload of Aldens.
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

What's the problem with the French? They seem good people.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Yes they are good people. They collaborate just as fast as you please. Look how accommodating they were to the Nazis.

There's even a division of the Republican Guard named after Chirac. :wink:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Sorry, but I couldn't resist this off-topic joke...

Heaven is where...
the French are the cooks,
the Italians are the lovers,
the Germans are the police force,
and the English organize everything.

He|| is where...
the English are the cooks,
the Germans are the lovers,
the Italians are the police force,
and the French organize everything...

As a side note... this was told to my be a French Priest who could hardly contain himself during the punch line.

Kind regards,
Indy
Kit Walker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kit Walker »

On the topic of the French---

I believe Robin Williams decribed it best on his Live from Broadway special:

(In French accent): Those lousy Americans to H#ll with them we hate them they can all go to h#ll..... What the Germans are here?.... Hello you beautiful Americans..Welcome ...We love you please help us and then you can build a Disneyland right outside Paris... We won't come but you can build it.
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

since we're on the subject, i had to share.
my mom works as a security guard at a rest stop and almost always she meets the most interesting people and can tell some funny stories about the silly things people on the road can do. she even met a self taught archeaologist once.
anyway more to the point, last night when she came in she told me she met two ladies from Texas who had just gotten back from Paris. they were at some resturaunt or pub when the manager came up to them and asked "You American? George Bush! pooey!!"
dunno about any of you, but i think he would be wearing the dinner i ordered, and just forget about a tip!
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

Hey,was just a question, about your sarcastic words against them, I guessed you had a french girlfriend who left you last night,...a french guy scratched your car... or something like this, but if the problem is with the WHOLE France...
:(
I'm Spaniard, (Here in a small and forgotten country beside France) as neighboring countries, we differ sometimes, but that's anecdotic.

I never thought that was so serious. Was just a curious question, forget it, you were talking about shoes...

"Siempre hay más de una manera de leer las cosas"
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

The French are not too popular right now,I guess. Just ask Indy Freedom ( the fan formally known as Indy French). :wink:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

How many French troops does it take to defend Paris? Nobody knows cause it’s never been tried.

The United States has actually decided to send in the French into Iraq because we desperately need their help… someone needs to teach those boys in Baghdad how to surrender.

The only way I can get sleep these days is to remind myself that my Grandfather didn’t die to save the French but to stop the spread of the Nazi Regime.

As far as Indy French/Freedom... anyone who wants to give him a hard time about his name or his heritage can meet me in a dark alley of his choosing. We like to make fun of the French because of their recent cowardly behavior right now (including me) but we forget their participation in the Revolutionary War.

Someday this understanding will pass as well.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I have earned the right to give Mr. French a little elbowing. He is my good friend.

You are correct about the Revolution. We must give credit where credit is due. We owe the Franch for that. If it were not for their loathing of the British, we might not have our country today.
Atticus
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Atticus »

Yes during the revolution France contributed a great deal to the cause with their navy. However dont forget the war of 1812, which France helped us in. However when the French asked us to help in the French revolution we wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe rightly so, we had our own troubles to deal with at the time.

Im spent,

Atticus
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

I regret, as fan (and French!), that this forum, made originally to meet and share information about Indiana Jones, is suddenly transformed an anti-French court!
I don't think whether it's the good place to discuss such a subject … :?:

Regards, :wink:
Graal
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

It's ok Graal. We are just very disapointed in your government's short memory. Don't take it personal.......but if you have room for SaDAM, he is looking for a new place to live. :wink:
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Pardon me as I get back on topic but, I feel we must address the REAL issue here: MK what's up with you sneaking off to this trunk show with out letting the rest of the SoCal gang know about it!! [-X :wink: That's very sneaky of you!
PBG
P.S. Thanks for updating my Avatar!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Yeah, sneaky! :-)

-Sergei
p.s. Message to Graal. Just to share with you that the problem between our two countries has really become very petty. My officemate here has been having problems reaching his wife and 4 daughters that are on vacation in Paris. The hotel manager refuses to put his connection through to his wife's room. In fact, his wife was in the lobby when she heard the 20 minute argument that the manager insisted that no one at the hotel with that surname was staying there and there were not any 4 girls. They were standing right in front of the manager. This has been going on for days. It's really quite petty, isn't it?
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

MK -
To repeat what Ceejay said, will there be a trunk show in the bay area, at the SF store? How can we check?

Thanks!

IJ
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I have no idea where there trunk shows are. You need to call Alden.
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

I can't help but recall Churchill's remark:

"Every man has his cross to bear, but why must mine be the Cross of Lorraine?"

Bushman
Rick Blaine
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rick Blaine »

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldaberries".

"No now go away, or I shall taunt you a second timea" - John Cleese in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

P.S. Yes it was a sad ending but some of the greatest films ever made have sad endings.

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Road to Perdition
The Untouchables
The Posideon Adventure
The Godfather
and many many more.

Excellent story MK
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Uh, Mr. Blaine, you forgot Casablanca? :wink:
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

graal wrote:I regret, as fan (and French!), that this forum, made originally to meet and share information about Indiana Jones, is suddenly transformed an anti-French court!
I don't think whether it's the good place to discuss such a subject … :?:

Regards, :wink:
Graal
Someone at the RPF, a dockworker ... was recently walked up to and spit on by a French "gentleman". No reason, no warning...both of them total strangers. The RPF guy waited a beat, then decked him with one punch ... out cold. The Frenchman had to be treated for concussion. His French buddies actually had the gall to looked surprised and shocked.

I love this story, so I thought I'd share it.
It ain't just the French Govt. It wasn't the French Govt. that defiled and vandalized the memorials and graves of American and British soldiers who died giving the French back their right to eat cheese and smoke tiny cigarettes and scoff at the rest of the world in freedom.
That was the wonderful French citizenry.

-Rabittooth
Last edited by Rabittooth on Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Blaine
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rick Blaine »

Yes but Chamorro, you failed to remember about the alternate ending to Casablanca (from the Simpsons)

Where Hitler comes out of the piano and Iilsa comes back from the plane to save Rick Blaine just in time. NOW THAT was a beautiful ending.

Actually in my opinion Casablanca was not a sad ending at all, it was morally right, and fulfilling.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Kinda like the warehouse scene at the end of Raiders, right Rick? (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Zendragon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zendragon »

Great story MK! :D