Bapty & Stembridge Acquired! - What about the Webley?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Bapty & Stembridge Acquired! - What about the Webley?

Post by Indiana Bond »

Great news that the 2 original S&W's revolvers known as the Bapty & Stembridge have been acquired by forum members. Congrats and thanks for sharing the great detaled photos!! :clap:

The question now is who has the original Webley WG that was used in "Last Crusade"? Could it be that the Webley WG shown in the latest "Crystal Skull" photo from Paramount is the same one that was used in "Last Crusade"?

Anybody know? Any comments? :-k
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

supposedly, it is still at bapty according to this pic:

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/Raiders
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Indiana G wrote:supposedly, it is still at bapty according to this pic:

It also says that's the gun used in Raiders and ToD :wink:

That's probably just poor research though. I have no major doubt that that's the LC Webley.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

cannot wait for the new movie as it looks like he is carrying a stock 5inch barrel and it looks NEW. with little or no loss of bluing so [after selling off other guns :cry: ] I can get a new 1917 S&W \:D/ \:D/
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Aren't the Webley MkVI (LC) and the Webley WG (CS) different guns? Or are they the same gun with different names?

Also, Webley .455? He never used one of those!! ...did he? Certainly not in the first two films - and I think only the MkVI was in LC.

Shane
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Indiana G wrote:supposedly, it is still at bapty according to this pic:

That's never the LC gun is it?! It looks like the same model as used in CS but the LC Mark VI has a completely different shaped grip. It's just not the same gun at all!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thought so! 8) :D I thought I was going crazy for a second. I KNEW it wasn't in Raiders or Temple, but thought to myself, "That was never in LC either... ...right...?"

Thanks for bolstering my near certainty.

Shane
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

The WG is definitely the gun in LC, guys. You can see the bird's head grip in a couple of places if you look closely. On the beach when Indy snatches it out of his waistband and realizes it's empty before Henry downs the plane with a flock of birds, and in the Grail temple when the good guys are captured. Indy has his hands up, gun dangling from one finger. Check it out.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I've never noticed that....? The gear section says it's the non birds head type... Confused now :) The Raider net says this is the actual MKVI http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ver_01.jpg
This looks like the gun above rather than the birdshead type to me...
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ver_04.jpg
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Thanks! That's a great site. So is there any scene where it is a MkVI for sure?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

The Webley WG is the only gun used in "Last Crusade". The MK VI never appears. The Webley WG is also the gun that Indy is holding in the new photo for "Crystal Skull". Check out my posts here to see comparison pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=24838

Also just received my Webley WG today. It's sitting right next to my computer as I type this. Having it in my hand and comparing it to all the shots in "Last Crusade" I can possitively confirm that Indy's gun is the Webley WG!!! It is truely a MAGNIFICENT piece!! :P
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Wow... :-k I've been wrong for a long time... serves me right for not being a LC guy and then thinking I knew what I was talking about. :lol:

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bear in mind, most of the information gained in the past have come from conversations, separate research, and articles written on the subject in various locations. This was before the era of high definition frame grabs and the like.

Even Guns and Ammo magazine identified the revolver in LC as a Webley MK VI rather than the WG in their Q&A section back in 1989. (I still have copies of the article). That also stated the only revolver used in Temple of Doom was a Colt New Service. Truth was, the Colt was a rubber 'stunt double' that was tossed out the car window and seen bouncing off the side of the door.

Lots of things are being corrected as we go along, but it was the best information we had at the time.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

So back to the question at hand, is there a way to find out if the WG used in CS was the same one used in LC? Who has the gun now that they have finished filming?

Any Ideas? :-k
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Bother! So now I need a new replica Webley for my holster! :roll:
Curator Rick
Scoundrel
Location: Warehouse 53,searching for my artifact. D.B.S.S.W.D.D.

Post by Curator Rick »

The Webley in Last Crusade was supplied by Bapty as filming took place in England and Tunisia. Since Crystal Skull was filmed in the States it is highly unlikely that the revolver was rented from Bapty, but more likely from one of the Armories in California. So the odds of it being the same Webley for both movies is very, very slim.

Also to clear up a possible bit of confusion. There was a Webley used in Temple of Doom. It is a nickel plated Mk. III used by Chen to shoot Wu Han during the cork popping scene in Club Obi Wan. I have that very pistol purchased from Bapty with the CoA from them as to its use.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Great the actual Temple of Doom Webley MKIII !!! What caliber and do you have any photos to share? Would love to see what you got!
Curator Rick
Scoundrel
Location: Warehouse 53,searching for my artifact. D.B.S.S.W.D.D.

Post by Curator Rick »

Thanks GraaL, ya beat me to it. :wink: Bink and I are getting together shortly to do a photo shoot of about 20 screen used props and I'll post more detailed photos of the Webley III in a separate thread so it can be "stickied"

By the way, it is .38 cal.

CR
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

CR and I were also talking last night that with export laws and such, the Bapty Webley would have to be deactivated in order to leave the UK for the US or most other countries, or if they were to sell it. If you look at the Bapty S&W, you'll notice a strange ring inside the chambers. When they deactivate the pistol, they weld this into the chambers, making it impossible to load the gun with anything:

The LC Webley would receive the same treatment if they were to try to bring it to the US for filming, making it useless for anything other than a display piece. Because of this, I am pretty confident that the Webley seen in IJ4 is a completely different gun.
tnitz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Indy's Webley

Post by tnitz »

Just got added to forum! Thanks.

Ironically, I had just watched LOC the night before I saw this entry a couple weeks ago and had noticed, for the first time, that Indy was NOT using a Mk VI as everyone once thought. I actually suspected it was one of the Naval versions of the Mk I that had 5 inch barrels, but found that you all had already figured out that it was a civilian model.

I am not sure that this has come up before, but long ago I noticed that the last three digits of the serial number appear on the rear of the cylinder of Indy's Webley in the scene on the beach. This means that Indy's revolver in that scene remained in .455 configuration not cut for .45 ACP or AR. This, of course, makes sense and is what I suspected since there was no reason to cut a revolver that stayed in England. The cutting was typically done when imported into US. All of my .455 Webleys are so cut, but you can actually find both cut and uncut here in the states if you are patient. I can't quite make out the numbers, but I think they are something like "624" or something.

As for the new revolver in Crystal Skull, I haven't looked at it close enough. If a birdshead, then it is either another civilian model or a naval version of the Mk I, I*, or II, that came with 5" barrel. I've never actually seen on of those, but I would guess that the front sight will be the easiest way to figure it out from screen shots or stills. Also, the military revolvers had black scales, while the civilian models often had brown. The standard and common MK I and II has 4" barrels.