Mini Indy Bullwhip - With Pics!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

Mini Indy Bullwhip - With Pics!

Post by LemonLauren »

As some of you know, I've been making whips, working with and learning from Paul Nolan from MidWestWhips for awhile now. I posted my very first three whips (simple snake whips) on here several months ago, if anyone remembers, and since then I've been working hard and selling some more on Ebay. My ultimate personal goal is to make myself an Indy style 8ft and a pair of 6fts. Here's some pictures of my next step toward that goal - a little 4ft 12plait single belly bullwhip! I'm actually really happy with how it looks, and I got to take it outside earlier today to see how it cracks. I love it - it cracks cleanly and straight. Of the whips I've made so far, it's definitely in my top three favorites in terms of looks and functionality. Thought you all might enjoy some pics... let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Lemon Lauren
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

That's a nice lookin' whip Lemon Lauren. I'm looking forward to seeing the 8 footer.

Regards,

SJ
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

I think it looks great ! Nice job.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Looks absolutely great, Lauren! Seams are straight and the plaiting looks REALLY smooth and even. Did you cut this one out yourself?

I know the first few you did Paul cut out and you braided, but that was a while back. And the knot looks great. It seems that the turks head is often the Achilles Heel of new whip makers. They get the plaiting smooth and even, but then the turks head always looks off.

Not the case with your stuff, (especially the two color stuff you've done on your snakes and signals.)

Good Job!

-Dan
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Lauren It looks like you did a really good Job with that lil Indy bullwhip. It has very straight seem work, a good taper and very clean professional look to it. I would buy that whip.

You are very lucky to have such a great whipmaker helping you along :wink: . All the best

Dan
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Beautiful whip! Nice job.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies everybody!

SJ - I'm sure an 8-footer I'm going to be happy enough with is still a ways off, but rest assured when I do make it, I'll post pics of it up here. :-)

Dans - Paul did cut the overlay for me on this one - I forgot to mention that again in my original post. I've been cutting a little more, but I haven't tackled a full set of overlay laces yet - Paul still does those for me. I do cut everything else myself though - bolsters, belly, etc. I can't overemphasize how great and helpful it's been to have Paul teaching me. There's no way I could be making whips as well as I am so quickly without his patience and way of explaining things so they really make sense. Thank you Paul! :-)

And thanks again to everyone who is responding to this post... when it comes to working on making a good Indy whip, you're the best group of people I know of to help give me helpful criticism and suggestions!

Lemon Lauren
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Dans - Paul did cut the overlay for me on this one - I forgot to mention that again in my original post. I've been cutting a little more, but I haven't tackled a full set of overlay laces yet - Paul still does those for me. I do cut everything else myself though - bolsters, belly, etc.
It's the "Cutting things out" that I really have utterly no concept of. I mean, I've seen it done, but I'd have no concept of where to begin.

I've actually been considering trying my hand at whip-making lately, and the whole "Cutting it out" thing is what's really holding me back. Just because my braiding skills are @#$% to begin with, I'm thinking about starting with paracord, just to get the general feel of it down, and then maybe making a trip to Dayton to work with you and Paul with leather when I feel that I wouldn't be wasting my time and yours on remedial, "No, THIS lace over THIS one!"

I'm really not interested in BECOMING a whipmaker, (Lord knows I already have a full-time job, and take enough part-time stuff/hobbies to keep me busy,) but just more than anything to just experience how it's done, and better understand what goes into making a good whip. Get beyond the academics of understanding how bellies, bolsters, and fall hitches all combine to form the unique characteristics of whips, to actually KNOWING.

You, on the other hand, are getting really good really fast, and I tip my Federation Deluxe to your work, and Paul's tutelage!

All the best, and happy cracking/braiding!

-Dan
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

That whip looks gr8, Lauren! Almost as good as one of Paul's Lil Indy's. Keep up the good work.

Steve.
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

That looks really nice! You're very lucky to have a great whip maker at your side.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Great comments everyone!

Lauren has been progressing amazingly fast. Faster than anyone I have ever taught before. Here abilities are actually steps ahead of what she is doing right now, but I want to make sure she has everything down perfectly.

This bullwhip in particular is exceptional, I am having a difficult time trying to critique it. In fact it turned out so nicely that I included it in the Holiday sale on the website to help her generate some extra cash for more hides.

She's working on a 5 foot bullwhip right now, and if you think this 4 foot bullwhip looked nice, you're going to love the new one! I will make sure that she posts pictures of it when she's finished.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Ms Lauren,
Your work looks awesome. Nice taper and those seams are straight as a ruler. Paul has done an excellent job of turning you into a whipmaker.

Paul,
How have you been? With students like that, you must be great.
Last edited by Sergei on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Sergei wrote:Ms Lauren,
Your work looks awesome. Nice taper and those seams are straight as a ruler. Paul has done an excellent job of turning you into a whipmaker.

Paul,
How have you been? With students like that, you must be great.
Hi Sergei!

Great to hear from you, where have you been hiding?

In the many years since we met at the WWAC convention in Vegas, I finally got a website up, LOL.

I hope you have been doing well, and that we will be seeing more of you this year.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Yeah I see you have a website. I checked it out over the holidays. Great work.