Young Indy Last Crusade Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

midwestwhips
Vendor

Young Indy Last Crusade Bullwhip

Post by midwestwhips »

Just thought I would share a picture of a whip I recently finished for fellow COW member Mountaineer Lasher

It is a 6 foot Young Indy Last Crusade whip:

I gave it a few test cracks before shipping it out, and it really flows out nicely and is very accurate.

I will let him tell you more about it, and he can post more pictures if he would like.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

Last edited by midwestwhips on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Nice! Makes me want one.........perhaps next Christmas :wink:
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Very nice work Paul.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

Ok, first off, I wish to apologize to Paul for taking so long to follow up with a review. It's been a hectic week here as I've been assisting my boss in getting ready for a 16 day field training exercise over here. I just now got some time to go out and try out my new toy!

Let me tell you, what Paul said about it flowing out nicely and being accurate is 100% true! I was cutting leaves in half and flinging around a trash piece of styrofoam cup easily! I was even able to pull a trick I saw Chris Camp do on one of his videos where he holds a piece of something in the same hand as the whip and cuts it in half with a circus crack! This is one nice whip! The plaiting is easily as tight and smooth as my Jacka whip. Also, the fall hitch is one of the smoothest I think I've ever seen, and is tied very uniquely compared to my other whips.

Last edited by Mountaineer Lasher on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very nice looking bullwhip, I have always liked that color combination of the young Indy bullwhip.

Paul, how did you make the handle? Did you dye the leather separately? Or end up cutting the black one handled away and re-plait over the foundation it with red leather?

Dan
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

BullWhipBorton wrote:Very nice looking bullwhip, I have always liked that color combination of the young Indy bullwhip.

Paul, how did you make the handle? Did you dye the leather separately? Or end up cutting the black one handled away and re-plait over the foundation it with red leather?

Dan
Got you covered, Paul!

BWB, it just so happens that I requested that Paul send me progress pics of the whip as he made it (just for my own curiosity). Well, he did, and he was THOROUGH! Check it out...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... YI5RSZ.jpg
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Great job and thanks for posting these pics. One question for you. Wasn't the handle painted to get the red handle?
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: hat

BendingOak wrote:Great job and thanks for posting these pics. One question for you. Wasn't the handle painted to get the red handle?
You're welcome for posting the pics. And yes, the movie one was painted, but I think dying lasts longer, don't you? :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

oh, don't get me wrong. You whip is beautiful. I just wasn't sure if the movie one was painted or not?
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Thanks for posting the pics ML, I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the whip! Thank you for the great review! That fall hitch being tied this way I think makes it much smoother and helps avoid the popper or fall getting caught on the fall hitch tab of the traditional hitch.

I agree I think the red being tannery dyed roo hide will make it last much longer.

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

midwestwhips wrote:Thanks for posting the pics ML, I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the whip! Thank you for the great review! That fall hitch being tied this way I think makes it much smoother and helps avoid the popper or fall getting caught on the fall hitch tab of the traditional hitch.

I agree I think the red being tannery dyed roo hide will make it last much longer.

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

Oh yes! If it wasn't as cold here, I'd be out more just seeing what this baby can do! I'd like to make some sort of target stand that'll hold strips of styrofoam or candles that I can set up in our day room or maybe a corner of our gym, but sadly we don't have much in the way of do-it-yourself stuff around here.

As far as the review goes, I kept having to come back and add something else that impressed me about it once I had posted the original reply. Something else that has come to mind is the color of the handle. I don't know if it's maybe the laquer (sp?) that you put on the whip, or maybe just the camera not properly catching the color, but the handle is an awesome deep red, almost blood color that I just LOVE!
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

have you managed to cut your face with it yet? :whip:

after all it cannot be a YOUNG indy whip without a little BLOOD on it right? all kidding aside, that is a beautiful whip. I prefer natural leather, still that is another beautiful whip.

I wonder if others {besides whip makers and us buyers} can appreciate the beauty of a well made whip. Even if I never use a whip, I still like the beauty of the leather, the weaving. It is a shame that good leather work is fading into the land of the dodo bird.

to all the whip makers, I doff my fedora to you.
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Dostacos wrote:have you managed to cut your face with it yet? :whip:
I've been playing with whips since I was a kid, but never had one to call my own (and play with regularly) until I entered college and bought my 8' 12-plait Australian-style Jacka. I've never cut myself with a whip (plenty of bruises, though), but I did almost put my eye out once when doing a triple-crack. I was wearing my oilskin duster and leather hat, and on the third crack, the thong caught the edge of my hat and sent the fall wrapping around my head at high speed. My eye was red and watered for a whole day, but I'm no worse for wear (read: lucky!).

Oh, and thanks for the compliments! All credit goes to Paul, though. I just ordered it. haha :wink:
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very nice Mountaineer Lasher, Thats a sharp looking bullwhip. I am glad to hear you are happy with it, Paul does great work.

Thanks for the additional pictures too. I remember seeing Paul using that technique on some of his other bullwhip handles before, so I kind of had a feeling that’s how he might have did it with yours. The Tannery dyed leather he uses is alot less likely to wear away or rub off on you too as it would if it had been painted or hand dyed after tanning.

Dan
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Ok, I know this is a really old thread to be answering, but I was snooping around the older posts and saw this, and thought OMG, this is NUTS! Great, but nuts! Wow, Paul, that is an AMAZING looking young Indy whip! I've only tried making one once and I know just how much more work goes into making these puppies, though my approach was different;

I used a natural dry hide that I measured until I got a pretty good ide of where the diamond plait would end for the handle and hand-dyed that part with red, then when I got to the thong, I covered the red part to protect it, and dye the rest in black. Once the thong was completely plaited, I went back to the handle and did another pass with the red dye. The second pass brought it from a light red, almost pink to a deep red and it also served to blend in the entire handle as a single unit.

But seeing the one you made, I prefer the color on yours! Any concerns about the transition zone being weakened by having it cut and bound?
Fantastic job!
Cheers,

Franco