treating lambskin.

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

treating lambskin.

Post by Magnum Jones »

I bought an A2 lambskin from U S wings about a year ago. It is just now breaking in good. I have seen posted on hear not to use pecards on it. What is the best thing to treat lambskin with?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

do a search magnum....from what i recall, lamb fibres are too tight to readily absorb the standard pecard dressing (the jello stuff), so i think it is recommended that the lotion be used. michaelson or a search can confirm that. hope that helps.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Lexol is great on lamb
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

If you use Pecards Dressing - like on your whip - your lambskin will become tacky. Very tacky. Like, if you were to get dragged behind a truck after putting the dressing on your jacket, you'd stop the truck because you'd be stuck the ground so well.

The best stuff to use for cleaning and maintaining the health of the jacket is the Pecards lotion, or napalm. Be sure that if you choose the napalm though, that you post pics of the process! :lol: :twisted:

Shane
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

If you like to listen to my advice don't use anything on your jacket. Your jacket is just fine as it is and will last a 100 years.

Those pecards etc all they do is create problems for you. I won't say what problems here but if you PM me I will let you know.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

...then once you read PLATON's silliness, PM me, and I'll provide you a link to the real information. 8) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Magnum, Letaps is good too if you can get it. But I personally can't understand why folks on this forum are constantly talking about "treating" their leather Indy jackets..I mean it goes against the idea of an aged jacket (like Indy would wear). I suppose there is the group that just likes the design of the jacket though and aren't really looking to have a jacket with loads of character - just my two cents. I never put anything on mine, and you'd be surprised how long they stay subtle.

Doug C
Cavalcade
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cavalcade »

I prefer to wear my jacket under my shirt - I find that keeps it subtle. :wink:
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

:oops:

Doug C
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I guess I should explain a little better. I'm not sure I need to treat the entire jacket. I like the way it is breaking in naturally. It is getting a few dry looking spots in the creases.
Should I treat them or just let it wear normal?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Treat.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Formal Indy

Post by Kilgour Trout »

I know it might sound strange but in the summer month's I'll wear my Wested with a shirt and tie and Hat "of course" :shock:. When an Indy jacket is dressed it can look really good. So I understand why you might want to treat it.

I've never actually treated my Jacket but I've been thinking of it recently.
The reality is that you only have to wear your jacket into the bush once to give it the necessary wear and tear. So...I'm thinking it could be time for a little freshening up.

McFly..thank for the suggestion.

Cheers

Kilgour
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

WWIJD?

What Would Indiana Jones Do, treat or not treat? :P

By the way, I distressed my Wested Lamb this week. I've had the jacket a few years. When I met TCS in Nashville last week he was wearing a nicely distressed goat. I liked the effect. So I made up my mind to take the plunge. I educated myself from this forum on different techniques and began. Less is more. So slowly - I soaked it in hot water for about 5 minutes. It seemed like a lot of the dye came out, and thus a lot of the shininess too.

After drying for several hours and it was still damp, I took some sandpaper and very lightly started working on the jacket.

It's still a work in process. I am not completely satisfied but its a major improvement. I go very slow on the sandpaper and on occasion look over the jacket and give it a few more brushes with the sandpaper.

Advice - hot water soak, sandpaper very slowly. Don't try to do it all in one day. I love the results.

Pecard's? I am a dealer for them and sell them with my whips. My advice would be to barely even put any on. Less is more - once again.

Sidebar - My COW buddy, TCS that I met in Nashville is quite the Indy fan and quite an adventurer. I wish he could tell some stories on here. It would give you chills.

YMMV IMHO

Cheers,
Robert Duke
www.myspace.com/DobroCowboy
www.DukeWhips.com
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

I have used Lexol every fall on my lamb ToD jacket; it’s 7 years old.
Lexol works fine. I also use it on the leather seats in my car, on my belt, on the sheath of my survival knife from Viet Nam, my briefcase etc.
Buy it….use it..…love it…..
Regards,
Forrestal
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. When I can't get hold of Letaps or Pecards leather lotion, it's what I use as well.....and all 3 products are about equal in my eyes. Letaps is my absolute favorite on lambskin, though.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

I use standard Pecard's on my lamb. Use just enough to put a sheen on the coat, thats means a very minimal amount, then let it soak in for 36-48 hours minimum. Shouldn't give you any problems. Don't think about a 2nd coat, or you're asking for trouble.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Don't think about a 2nd coat, or you're asking for trouble.
TOTALLY agree!

It's reversable, don't worry, but it's a LOT of work to do.

Regards! Michaelson