A question for you whip performers...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

A question for you whip performers...

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

I was watching some YouTube videos today and it looks like a lot of you guys use mostly stockwhips for your performances. Is this the case? What length do you usually use (obviously inside/outside differs)?
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I use a pair of 5.5' matched stockwhips for doing the Australian style of whipcracking. I won the overall championship for one & two whips in style & technique with them in 2005 at the WWAC convention.
But thats not all I use in my performances. I use an 8 ft Indy bullwhip, and also a 14 ft Indy bullwhip.
DAVEY
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DAVEY »

I was wondering the same thing ... I am ready to purchase a matched set and well im just a short fellow 5' 6" tall and was wondering what the best length for my stockwhps should be for routines ....volleys etc. ........
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I'd say go for a pair of 5 footers then. I have matched pairs in 4 ft, 5 ft and 5.5 ft.

6 ft is a bit long, but ok for someone taller. I'm 5'10"

Cheers,
Robert
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

For two-handed whip work, I go between using a pair of 6 ft nylon cow whips and a pair of 3 1/2 ft nylon cow whips (handle length not inlcuded in the measurement). I also have pairs of kangaroo stockwhips in 3 1/2 ft, 4 ft, 5 ft, 5 1/2 ft, 5 ft 9 in., and 6 ft, as well as single stockwhips that are 7 ft and 8 ft long.

When I won the Men's whipcracking at the Northern NSW whipcracking championships, I used 4 ft, 5 ft, and 6 ft pairs of stockwhips.

When it comes to indoor performing, I usually only use the 3 1/2 footers (which are equivalent to 5 ft bullwhips).

When I've seen Chris Camp perform I think he only uses stockwhips for his two-handed routines, and uses bullwhips for everything else.

-Adam
DAVEY
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DAVEY »

Thankyou kindly for your advice ....was also curious , what is your opinion on the number of plaites for the thongs on these type of routine whips ?? 12,16 or 8 ... I know a well made whip is most important but does the amount of plaits afect these routine whips in any way ??
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I've seen Robert's whips, and I believe they were made by John McMaster in Australia. Those whips were 8-plait.

Most of my stockwhips have 8-plait lashes, though a couple of them are 12-plaits. The nylon whips I use are 12-plait, except the 22 footer, which is 16-plait.

I've seen amazing things done with 4-plait kangaroo whips.

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I used to use mainly 5 foot and 6 foot stockwhip pairs, but lately I've been rather fond of 3 foot, 3 and a half, and 4 foot stockwhip pairs. They are a bit faster moving which I like. The way I like to think of it is that a stockwhip handle is a few inches under two feet, so I look at a 4 foot stockwhip as the relative equivalent to a 6 foot bullwhip.

Chris Camp has a pair of 5 foot 12 plait thong Mike Murphy Stockwhips, a pair of 6 foot 4 plait thong Mike Murphy stockwhips, and a pair of 3 and a half foot 8 plait thong stockwhips made by myself. He told me he has been using the 3 and a half foot pair in pretty much every show for the past year.

Also, I have a pair of 4 foot white kangaroo hide 4 plait stockwhips for sale for a really good price if anyone is interested. I was planning on putting them up on ebay here in the next week or so, but if anyone is interested, let me know.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Hey Adam,

I have a pair of McMaster's stockwhips that were originally Fiona's.

They are 4 ft long and are 4 plait and flow very well.

So the number of plaits on a stockwhip is not that significant as it is on a bullwhip where you need more plaits. Diameter is larger on the thong, so I wouldn't want a performance whip with 4 plaits. At least 8, but better 12. 16 is overkill, but ok if one wants. I don't see a big increase in performance.

Regards,
Robert
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I wouldn't imagine that 4 plait stocks would work incredibly well either, for multiple crack routines. But I've thrown around Chris Camps 4 plait stocks from Mike Murphy, and I actually like them better than his 12 plaits from Mike! They are amazingly responsive, flexible, and smooth for 4 plait.

ML, if you're looking to get a matched set of stocks to start working with, I'd say start with a couple of Mike's 4 plait stocks. Flexible, rugged, and a good, affordable way to get started in two-handed routines.

All the best and happy cracking,

-Dan
DAVEY
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DAVEY »

Great input ...Thanx for all the advice it will help allot ...I cant throw out 500. to often and wouldnt want to make a blunderd purchase ...I have been cracking one of Mikes 6' eight plait bullwhips and I have to say there is a huge differance compared to some of my cheaper whips .... I just purchased one of Jack Perrys 8' Bowling Pin handle bullwhips ... cant wait to see how it cracks and handles ......... Kind Regards ....Davey
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Just thought I would let anyone interested know that I just put the pair of stockwhips up on ebay for this week. Information and link to the listing is in the classified section.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

For my stage combat workshops, I don't use anything but 8 foot Australian bullwhips. This is for target work, wraps, disarms, everything.
The 8 is about the only length that will fit on stage and still do a decent wrap. 12 plait kangaroo.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Most of the performers I know here tend to use 5 and 6 foot bullwhips in shows. Pulling out the occasion 8 or 10 footer for wraps. On more rare occasion pulling out 12-25 foot ones for one or two tricks, (22' Nylon for Adam Winrich's "Big Black Bullwhip of Doom DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA!" and a 25' Kangaroo hide in black for Chris "Canasta" Camp! I have a small scar, by the way Chris! ;-) )

If you're working in front of crowds for "Arena Art" types of whip cracking, (target cutting, multiple crack routines, etc.) then shorter whips do the trick, They keep your audience at a safe distance while still being able to see and hear you, and they move fast enough to keep show moving, (imagine using two 10 foot whips for a multiple crack routine. I know people talented enough to do it, but imagine it: Throw.........BANG.........Throw.......BANG........Throw.........BANG....etc.)

With this type of performing, you're demonstrating SKILL. Like singing and dancing. It is the skill itself that is the performance.

Doc Tyree makes a point here without meaning to. The aspect of performing with a whip for arena type performance are completely different from the aspects of stage and screen performance, where the skill is used to create the illusion of violence.

They utilize the same skill sets yes, but their application and goal is completely different. Dramatic violence on stage and screen is there to heighten the experience of the audience, and to tell a story, and that is different to what the Arena Arts are inherently designed for.

I think sixes move a little too fast for theatrical audiences, (and cameras,) to really pick up on any detail with, while eights can move slow and sinewy, (as A. DeLongis puts it, EXTENDING the dramatic moment,) Anything longer than an 8 on a stage, and you risk getting tangled in set pieces or set/light battens for any throw other than a flick.

So, to make a long story short, Lasher (TOO LATE!) it will not only depend a lot on indoor/outdoor, but also the overall application.

Just my $2.50, (bit much there for $0.02, and with inflation and the comparison of the American Dollar to the British Pound Sterling, Euro, and Australian Dollar of late...Well...nevermind...)

All the best, and happy cracking!

-Dan