Bullwhip Core Materials

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Bullwhip Core Materials

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Searched, high and low, but not finding much. What are the thoughts on using aircraft cable, or ball chain as a core?

Too heavy? Inflexible? Takes a set/kink? Etc.

Sincerely,
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well, the core should be tapered as this will affect the taper of the whip. The taper is important if you want the whip to perform well. Of course if you just want it for swinging on... well I have no idea.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

it has been done by our own adam winrich and i own the whip

viewtopic.php?t=16343&highlight=steel+cable+whip

its a 12 foot beast of a whip.

i'm actually currently making an 8 foot 16 plait paracord whip with an aircraft cable core.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Rebel:

The cable/ball chain core, for a nylon/paracord whip is exactly the application I was considering. Not for "swinging," but to provide weight/mass.

Sincerely,
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Dr.Seuss wrote:Rebel:

The cable/ball chain core, for a nylon/paracord whip is exactly the application I was considering. Not for "swinging," but to provide weight/mass.

Sincerely,
yeah so far its working great for that. i'll post some pics of the whip when i'm done. its not exactly indy style but its inspired by indy and i have been watching the movies while making it :lol: .

basically i used an 1/8 inch 500lb test aircraft cable for the core. its nice and flexible ads a bit of weight but not to much. i get the stuff in bulk at the hardware store out here. funny thing is first time i tried to cut it was with bolt cutters boy was that a mistake. cut maybe 3 or 4 strands and bent the rest. ended up wrapping the spot i wanted to cut in tape then cut it with the cutting disk on my dremmel, worked perfect.

i'm going to start another whip as soon as i finish this one up (this weekend more than likely), if you want i can take some pics of how i have the core setup.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

rebelgtp wrote:* * * i'm going to start another whip as soon as i finish this one up (this weekend more than likely), if you want i can take some pics of how i have the core setup.
Pictures would be truly appreciated. I have been wanting to try my hand at a paracord/nylon whip and wondered about cable or ball chain, in lieu of a shot bag.

Sincerely,
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

I just got Ron Edward book and figure I'd practice learning to plait with para cord before I try leather.
Bob.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

cooncatbob wrote:I just got Ron Edward book and figure I'd practice learning to plait with para cord before I try leather.
Bob.
exactly what i'm doing :lol: . also i figured i live in a place where it rains alot so it will be good to have a whip i don't care about getting wet :lol:
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Any thoughts regarding Robert Duke's book on whip making?

Sincerely,
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

i haven't read his book yet but always looking for new info so i may just have to pick it up
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Sent him an E-mail, about the book, but have not heard anything yet.

Sincerely,
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

it will be a few more days before i'll have pics of the new whip start. i didn't get a chance to work on the first one at all this weekend. so it may not be until next week or so with thanksgivings day coming up and all.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Very interested to see the project.

Sincerely,
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I'm against having a cable core unless its for a prop. To me, it wouldn't crack like a whip. I want my bellies to be all leather, and flow out naturally. It seems cable would have too much life. Just as paracord does too. You can't do a decent wrap with a paracord. If you just want to crackin wet conditions and are around a lot of gravel, sand, concrete and asphalt and not better conditions, then paracord is good. However I am a performer too and leather, preferably kangaroo is my choice.

Cheers,
Robert
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Robert I agree with you completely, I would much rather have kangaroo lace its just that for practicing to make a whip paracord is a lot cheaper option for me. plus i wanted something I could practice with over the winter and not have to worry about it getting wet (already have a couple inches of snow outside).

oh and I know exactly what you mean by a cable core whip having "life" the one I have from Adam is a beast and it cracks like a canon, however yeah its hard getting a good wrap but it is possible. the cable I'm using in my whip is smaller then that one however it does have the same strength and so far seems more flexible.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Robert:

What is the best way to contact you about purchasing your book, and questions about a "longer" bullwhip kit?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

just got back from a week in Nashville and trying to settle the dust.

Have you got Ron Edwards book on whipmaking? Anyone considering making a whip should purchase that book. However it does not go into bullwhips very well. Still, I consider it a bible of whipmaking unlike any other.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Robert:

I do not have the book. So, Ron Edwards is a "must" for the list. I understood your book/guide, was specific to the bullwhip?

Sincerely,
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I wanted to leave a lot of the specifics to Ron Edwards who really goes into the plaiting well and also some of the turkshead making. I do not get into that technical but focus on the bullwhip assembly more than actual plaiting technique and how to tie a turkshead knot. Read the "bible" on whipmaking by Ron Edwards. Its superb.

Robert
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I have tried cable in the core, and it doesn't crack at all. It snaps right back at you. The metal does not stretch, and so the energy reaches the end and is bounced back somehow. Leather has a rubbery stretch to it that lets the energy pass out of the end of the whip. That's my un-scientific analysis...

Anyway, you might want to finish your project just to learn, but in my experience it's not a good core.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Puppetboy wrote:I have tried cable in the core, and it doesn't crack at all. It snaps right back at you. The metal does not stretch, and so the energy reaches the end and is bounced back somehow. Leather has a rubbery stretch to it that lets the energy pass out of the end of the whip. That's my un-scientific analysis...

Anyway, you might want to finish your project just to learn, but in my experience it's not a good core.
i actually already have a whip made with a steel cable core like i said earlier it cracks like a canon going off. the new whip has a lighter steel cable (however just as strong) and much more flexible. i have no doubts at all that this whip will crack when completed. wrapping on small objects will more than likely not work well as the added stiffness will cause issues with that. the whip will have more "life" to it as Robert stated but that can be controlled.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Never thought it would happen, but I believe the, "making a bullwhip bug," is starting to bite.

Rebel:

What information sources/books/guides, did you use?

Sincerely,
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Dr Seuss

Well the main book that I used was the Ron Edwards book. I also had the David Morgan braiding book for some reference. Other than that its just been trial and error. Don't be afraid to undo some of the work you do and redo it if it isn't looking quite right. Oh and be prepared to have your hands and fingers sore from pulling laces :lol:
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

But, hide or paracord? I somewhat "fancy" the nylon for the "all weather" capabilities.

Sincerely,
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

well this is my first whip i'm making and it is paracord for the lesser cost of making from paracord also it will be good to make a few "all weather" whips since i live in oregon and you know we get our fair share of rain.

making these paracord whips is giving me really good practice on the plaiting for the whips, how to drop strands and all of that. also considering i was making it from paracord i wasn't so tied to making it an "indy" whip, it has a little bit of my own style in it.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

If you want to practice braiding then by all means use paracord. But if you want to truly craft a whip then leather is the only way to go.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Edge:

Happened to walk into a "Tandy Leather" store. The "Guy" kept repeating your very comment.

Sincerely,