Adam Winrich makes his mark in Australia

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

midwestwhips
Vendor

Adam Winrich makes his mark in Australia

Post by midwestwhips »

I just thought I would let everyone know that Adam went to Australia to visit a few whipmakers, whipcrackers, and friends. And also to attend and enter in the Glenn Innes whipmaking and whipcracking competitions.

I just received word from Chris and Kerri Barr that Chris has won the whipmaking title for the 5th time, taking 1st & 2nd three times now, and 1st & 3rd once in 06! If anyone has seen Chris's work, especially in person, then you will know why he has won the title so many times now!

And Adam took 3rd in the Whipmaking Competition, and 1st in the Men's Whipcracking!!! I would imagine that means he beat Ben Hughes as I had heard Ben would be there as well, although I don't know if he was competing or judging. And as far as I know, Adam is the first person from the U.S. to enter or place in either of the cometition. I can't wait to hear all the details from Adam when he gets back!

I just heard the news a little bit ago, and I am really excited for him, he has put in the time and dedication practicing hours a day. Anyone who has been at the last 2 or 3 events in Claremore has also seen his exponential improvement.

Good on ya' Adam!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

That is awesome! Congrats, Adam!
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Hi Paul

Just thought I better clarify some of your post.

Ben Hughes hasn't competeted in whipcracking since he won the world championship in April 2006, but still goes along to a few competitions just to catch up and do a performance or two. Adam has really got good with his whipcracking, but still has a way to go to reach Fiona Wilks or Ben Hughes' level. Sometimes I wonder if any others will ever reach their skill level. This is just my opinion and may not be everyone's.

It was good to catch up with Adam, and spend a bit of time with him whipcracking. Ben spent a fair bit of time teaching Adam a few more tricks as he had an extra day up there compared to me.

Also in the whipmaking Adam made a beautiful whip that recieved 3rd place in the NOVICE section. Bob Stewart (I think this was right) recieved 3rd place after Chris Barr in the OPEN section. This was the first time I had been to the Glen Innes comp and the quality of the Open section whips had to be seen to be believed, there must have been about 30- 40 whips entered . Chris' plaiting is incrediably smooth. By seeing all that fantastic work it motivated me to try and get the finish on my whips that Chris gets. Adam has been spending all this week at Chris' refining his whipmaking, lucky fella! :o)

Now just to get you over here now Paul.

Kind Regards

Simon Martin
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Thanks for clearing things up Simon.

I'm at Chris's house right now. We each finished an 8-plait roo two-tone stockwhip yesterday, and started a 12-plait red stockwhip today, which I hope to finish before I go home. It has been really good to see Chris's techniques in person, and now his technique for finishing makes a lot more sense.

After spending some more time with Ben Hughes at Glen Innes, I don't believe anyone will ever reach the level of whipcracking that Ben has reached. To get where Ben is it took years of dedication, training, talent, and inspiration from a highly competive field of whipcrackers.

Paul, you'll be really happy with the whip you're getting. The two whips that Chris entered in this year's comp are just amazing. The patterns aren't as complicated as in other whips he's done, but the two whips have an undeniable elagance about them.

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

First off, Does anyone have any pictures? I'm going crazy! LoL!

I really wish I could be over there right now, especially because my furnace is broken, and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. :( Hows the weather over there?

Simon,

Thank you for correcting me. I had very little information to go on. I knew Ben was going to be there, I just figured he would probably be judging. I'm happy I was there to see him win in 2006, his whipcracking sure is amazing. Please tell him and Charlie that I said hello.

That is great to hear that there was 30-40 whips in the competition. I really need to make sure I have something made up for next year. You didn't happen to get a picture of any of the whips that were entered did you? I know I would have been drooling all over them.

I'd like to try to make it over next year, but there's a lot of whips to be made to cover that plane ticket alone! Adam is very lucky to be at a point at the moment where he doesn't have a lot of overhead costs.

I'm glad you had a great time!

Adam,

I am soooooooooooooo very envious of your trip. You are living out one of my dreams right now! Make sure you take some pictures of the whips you and Chris made. And if Chris doesn't mind, I'd love to see what his shop looks like.

I can't wait to get the whip in my hands. I've seen Chris's work in person, and I am so excited to be able to own this exceptional piece. If anyone wants to see I would be happy to post a picture of it.

When do you get back to the states? This has been a fast paced couple of weeks for you I would imagine. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I gotta say again, congrats!!! I was really excited for you when I heard the news. I hope I didn't spoil your fun in posting about it, but I was so stoked that I felt the uncontrollable urge to tell everyone I knew!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

Ps- Adam, if you get the chance or go to a pub, I heard that you should try "Victorian Bitter" if I remember right. I was told it is a uniquely Australian beer.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Congratulations Adam, Hope to hear more about the trip and your experiences when you get back.

All the best.

Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Paul,

I'm back from Australia. If you want to hear all the details you can give me a call.

As for beer, I drank mostly XXXX (aka '4 X') beer.

I'd say I did pretty well, to spend 3 days with the world's greatest two-handed whipcracker, and then to spend a week in the shop of the world's best stock whip maker. For a whip dude, you can't beat that.

-Adam
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

Hi all
Just thought you guys would like to see a pic of the whip that Adam made for Glen Innes

Adam did a great job with this whip and I thought he was very unlucky not to have placed higher .

Kerri and I feel very privileged that Adam came to visit with us. It is not very often that you get to meet someone as talented as Adam not only with his Whip cracking and plaiting but also His outstanding musical ability (which Kerri fell to sleep to on the car trip home) , And his juggling and rope spinning that is still keeping our 2 boys amused ......as Adam gave them lessons while he was with us ....

Thanks Adam for a great week ,I learnt a lot during your stay and enjoyed the pleasure of your company, as did the rest of our family and friends who you kept entertained at the drop of a hat (or the crack of a whip)

Here is a pick of Adam with a small glass of XXXX beer after an impromptu display of whip cracking for the locals at the pub

Cheers everyone
Keep em crackin

Chris & Kerri Barr
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

The Whip looks great Adam!!! I really like the knot :wink:

Thanks for posting the pics Chris! Do you happen to have any pics of the whips you made for the competition? I'm sure everyone would love to see them :D

Great picture of Adam and the small glass of 4 X :lol:

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

Hi Paul
Here are some photos Of the Glen Innes whips

Pic of some handles laid out Adam mentioned you like that sort of shot .
There are 2 whips in this pic that Adam made while he was visiting with us I'll le you work out which they are ...

Just tried to post this and server dropped out soooo am trying again .
Hope you like the pics....
Cheers
Chris Barr
http://www.deadringer.com.au
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Chris,

Thanks for posting those pics! I was certainly priveledged to get to spend time making whips with you. I know a few people that were pretty jealous of me :wink:

I'm going to try to make a kangaroo bullwhip in the next week or so to apply some of the techniques I learned at your place. It won't be an Indy whip, however.

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Chris,

Thank you so much for posting the pics!!! Boy I wish I had the money right now to get the one that won, but as you know I just spent my whip money on a new really nice Chris Barr whip that should be in tomorrow. :wink: I can't wait!!! I've been checking the mail 5 times a day, even today when in my rational mind I know that the mail doesn't come on Sunday. :lol: #-o

Adam had me guess which one he made and which one you made, and I guessed wrong both times due to circumstances I hadn't considered.

Hey Adam,

How's the whip you made applying Chris's techniques? Got a picture?

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com