Indy's Tweed ToD Jacket

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Indy's Tweed ToD Jacket

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Say, has anybody done any real research into this item? I know it's a tweed, 2 button jacket w/no pocket flaps. But that's it. I know the original was probably supplied like all the clothing by Noel Howard. But any good pictures of it (Rob-DFW)? Any idea where to get one? And what would you say the closest color/colors are? Orvis has a new catalog with a close color, but it's a 3 button jacket. :(

There are a few sites out there for Tweed Jackets, but what to get?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Budget tweed...

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I know we're all used to spending a small fortune on collecting, but have you tried second hand shops? Tweed jackets have been in and out of style for so long that almost all of these places have a fairly good range of coats for a fistful of dollars. Plus... questing for bits and pieces is part of the experience of collecting! ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Here it is...

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I picked this one up for three or four dollars! :D

The pocket flaps can be tucked it to look like there are none, but I prefer them out...

Kind regards,
Indy
TheOther Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheOther Jones »

They probably have the real thing here:

Angels & Bermans
119 Shaftesbury Avenue,
London,
WC2H 8AE
Tel: 020 78365678
Henri Defense
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Henri Defense »

MJ my man I suggest you check out Good Will, they have everything there an Indy fan could want (most of the time) I went there once and found the perfect on but of course it was few size too big so I decide to hold off, but they do have them!

Henri
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Indy Magnoli,

Which trousers are you you wearing? MBA? L.L. Bean?

What sword is that in the background?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

PDC, the pants are another archaeological find from a second hand shop. The color and back flaps are perfect, but no front pleats. :(

The sword is from CAS Iberia. It's called the "Lionheart" and is based on 12/13th century arms. It's been recently blessed by a Bishop before he knighted an acquaintance of mine.

Kind regards,
Indy
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Interesting. Now that's a sharp looking lad. ;)
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I found mine for about $5, it's perfect to the film and like Indy Magnoli's the pocket flaps can be tucked in to be like the film. It's really a simple brown/grey mix tweel jacket, easy to find at your local Goodwill with all the other vintage suits for under $10 a piece!
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Now is the bow tie brown or Black, I have been thinking it was Indy's tie from the beginning of the film?
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee Harper »

I think the bow tie is black. My question is, does the tweed jacket have a chest pocket or not? I haven't been able to find any pictures where it's easy to tell.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

The bow tie at the banquet is really not all black. See for your self:

It has blue patterns in it. The background is either black or dark brown.

-Sergei
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Are you sure? They look like spots. I've got an old 40's bowtie on order from a company on the internet that looks just like this and it doesn't have any patterns. Still, I've found no pictures of the buttons on the jacket or whether it had a breast pocket or not.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I just noticed that there is a good shot of the buttons of the ToD shirt.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Re: Indy's Tweed ToD Jacket

Post by MK »

Minnesota_Jones wrote:Say, has anybody done any real research into this item? I know it's a tweed, 2 button jacket w/no pocket flaps. But that's it. I know the original was probably supplied like all the clothing by Noel Howard. But any good pictures of it (Rob-DFW)? Any idea where to get one? And what would you say the closest color/colors are? Orvis has a new catalog with a close color, but it's a 3 button jacket. :(

There are a few sites out there for Tweed Jackets, but what to get?
Why do you what us to say that? :roll:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

lol :lol:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Today I wore my Croft and Borrow tweed jacket my wife picked out for me at Kohl's. It's close enough and we bought it for for less then $60.

And, as you can imagine... I wore it with the Best Fedora I've owned in 20 years.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Tennessee Harper wrote: Still, I've found no pictures of the buttons on the jacket or whether it had a breast pocket or not.

It looks like there is a breast pocket and the buttons appear rather dark. Probably, they are the same color as the darkest fabric on the jacket.

According to handy little Gentleman's book, Indy's jacket very closely matches a sample of fabric pictured called Cheviot. It's a very hard-wearing and very rough worsted made from the wool of the Cheviot sheep.

Just my $.02
Pyroxene
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the pics, Pyroxene!
geordie jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by geordie jones »

I know that this is an old subject but I am currently looking at purchasing a tweed jacket for that TOD look. However does anybody know if it was a herringbone pattern tweed that was used.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

If anyone still cares about this post (it has been dormant for a very long time), I found this in my search for replacing a tweed suit that I have grown out of.
http://www.harristweedshop.com/jacket-marr.html

It looks to me they could make the TOD jacket.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I am surprised that people don't post more on this subject. I have often wondered about Indy's TOD tweed jacket. It appears to me that he just put a bow tie on his safari shirt, put his glasses on, and threw on a tweed sport coat to complete his ensemble.

As far as I can tell it is a tweed sport coat, and it appears to me that it is not a herringbone pattern but a straight tweed pattern. I don't know if this pattern has a name, but to me it just runs in straight lines.

Now, the thing that gets me is the color. With the color of Indy's shirt and pants, I would think he would wear a brown sport coat. I am about 75 % sure it is brown. But, every time that I say, "okay, that is it, I am sure it is brown", I see a shot in which the jacket appears grey. I remember posts about his hat when it appears to be grey and people say that it may be a brown hat and appears to be grey due to the lighting. I watch the dining at Pankot Palace scene and every once in awhile it appears grey. Look at some of the screenshots in this thread. In some of them it looks brown and in some it looks grey.

I wanted a tweed jacket like that. I just bought one off of e-bay. I haven't received it yet. It is a Harris Tweed sport coat, two button, herringbone pattern in dark and medium grey. It seems very Indyish to me. I don't think it is a perfect match as I don't think Indy's jacket was herringbone and I think his was brown. Mine is definitely grey.

I particularly wanted a Harris Tweed jacket as Harris Tweed is reputed to be the finest in the world. It is identified by the Orb and Cross logo on its tag and protected by an act of Parliament. If you would like more info on Harris Tweed, here is a link:

http://www.harristweed.org

I also had seen the Harris Tweed jacket that was on the Orvis website that was mentioned earlier. It has recently been removed. I don't know if that means it is no longer available, or maybe is temporarily out of stock, or just a seasonal item that may return. The Orvis jacket if I recall was $500. That is about the same price as I have been seeing for a Harris Tweed Jacket online.

Like I said, I don't think my jacket is a perfect match for the one in TOD, but it seems very Indyish to me. If anyone else has any more thoughts on this topic I would be interested to hear it. Has anyone else been sucessful in finding an Indy Tweed. Now, I just hope mine fits when it gets here...and does this mean I need to buy a grey fedora to go with it? :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well, I just now received my Harris Tweed jacket and it is very nice. It fits just perfect. I guess I was real lucky. Not bad for 53 bucks. Now if whoever started bidding in the last few minutes of the auction hadn't driven my bid up from 36 to 53 bucks, I would have gotten it for even less. I wish I could have told him, he wasn't gong to get the jacket, anyway, so stop bidding. But, as they say, all's fair in love and war and e-bay.

I am off to have it cleaned and then I'll be set. Like I said earlier, it may not be an exact match to Indy's jacket, but it is close. I may continue to scour the on-line world in search of an even closer if not exact match, but I really wanted this one as it is a Harris Tweed.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Sounds great! I'd love to see pictures of it!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

MJ,

You know I would love to oblige when I get it back from the cleaners. But, I don't exactly know how. You would think someone with a home theater as complex as mine would be able to simply post a digital picture. But, I guess not.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

If you don't have a website or something to "host" them, you can always mail me the pic and I can host it for you too!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Here is a little update to this thread. I bought a second Harris Tweed jacket. This one is a brown herringbone and is closer to the jacket that Indy wore, but alas, I think it is too small for me. I must run it down to the tailor and find out if it can be altered to fit. If not then I will have a nice jacket for sale.

I just received a new catalog today from Orvis. It is the Orvis men's clothing catalog, Fall 2004. It has a big section of Harris Tweed jackets. It has one that the color is called "ghillie-brown barleycorn". It is the closest to the one Indy wore that I have seen. Anyone interested in this should call Orvis to get this catalog or go to their website and see if you can find it.

It has the flaps on the pockets, but these can be tucked inside to be screen accurate. Indy's jacket could have had the flaps and he just tucked them in. The only other thing is this is a 3 button jacket. But, like I said, it is the closest that I have seen yet. Oh, by the way, the price is $349.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:
Oh, by the way, the price is $349.
Perfect. I'll take two. Then, off to make them screen accurate... I'm thinking "curry" (ordinary curry could be used here), "bug stains" (yes, I think I know how to achieve those. too) and "Thuggee sweat" (hmm... tough one) distressing here... :wink: