Recieved my Todd's Standard Lambskin Indiana Jones Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

As I understand it from those who've spent far longer looking at it than I have, the Raiders collar is supposed to attach half way along the storm flap (as in my Todd jacket). It has been a frequent criticism of Wested that their collar doesn't (although on some recent Wested's I understand that it does).
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

Satipo wrote:That's interesting, and typical of this hobby! :wink:

What's more SA in your opinion, djd?
after looking over the screenshots at theraider, I have no doubt that the collar attaches in the middle of the storm flap in raiders. so does the collar on my expo, if it's worth noting. also, in TOD, I'm 110% that the collar attaches at the END of the storm flap, right over the zipper. don't know if this is a detail that's ever been duplicated on a TOD jacket, but it most certainly is different than raiders. in LC, it's back to the middle.. right before the button.

however, what REALLY stupefies me is how he has enough slack in the collar to do THIS:

cause I know my jacket sure as heck won't. :?
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

As I understand it from those who've spent far longer looking at it than I have, the Raiders collar is supposed to attach half way along the storm flap (as in my Todd jacket). It has been a frequent criticism of Wested that their collar doesn't (although on some recent Wested's I understand that it does).
Okay, so given the above, isn't it reasonable to expect all Todd's jackets to feature the collar that attaches half way along the storm flap?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

It's amazing how well cut these Todd jackets appear to be. They really do look so much more like the real thing than the other makes. I wonder how it's done?

Here's the thing. Don't like the sound of thin leather. You guys who like distressing things... try it on a Todds. See how it holds up. If it falls to bits...

Does Todd do a premium jacket? He could do the same thing in a decent goat hide. But would people want to buy one?

Regards
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I have one of the initial batch of cow hide jackets that Todd did. I've distressed it with the usual sandpaper and scuffs against brick work etc. All the seams are good (infact better than my Wested which had a seam go around a hand-warmer pocket). I don't have any worries about it falling to bits :D
Cavalcade
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cavalcade »

I have one of the initial batch of cow hide jackets that Todd did. I've distressed it with the usual sandpaper and scuffs against brick work etc
;0

because someone's got to say it. :wink:
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Ok, OK! :D

eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Satipo, the picture djd posted of his collar & storm flap is exactly the weay they look on my Todd's standard. A great looking jacket, djd. :)

Jack
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

CM wrote:Does Todd do a premium jacket? He could do the same thing in a decent goat hide. But would people want to buy one?

Regards
Yes, CM, he does make a premium jacket in a much better hide, though I don't believe he's been able to source goat. His premium jackets are also pricier, as to be expected. The amazing thing about this jacket is that it appears to be a fantastic offering for only $150. That still astounds me. Of course, to keep the price that low, it means outsourcing the construction and using a thinner leather. If he substituted a better leather, the price would have to go up. It's a tradeoff. You can't have good champagne for the price of beer, however, it looks like Todd has provided some mighty good beer! :wink:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

eazybox wrote:Satipo, the picture djd posted of his collar & storm flap is exactly the weay they look on my Todd's standard. A great looking jacket, djd. :)

Jack
That's reassuring. These jackets do look very good, and what a great price! I might have trouble with the arms, though. I measure about 40-41 inches on the chest, but my arms are a bit on the long side.
ztmario wrote:in TOD, I'm 110% that the collar attaches at the END of the storm flap, right over the zipper
I can see why you might think that, ztmario, based on the majority of screen grabs I've looked at. But I think this shot shows, that for at least for one jacket used, it's not the case:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A question to Todd regarding both this new inexpensive, and in my case the custom jacket....

If it was discussed before, please forgive me for asking the question again, but I missed it....how good are these for NOT releasing dye if caught in a rain storm? I know the Wested jacket can be bad for occasionally releasing dye if caught in the proverbial 'frog strangler' rain (not ALL do, folks so don't get me wrong. I have had a lambskin do it, though).

Is the light weight cowhide a durable non-releasing hide, or is this something to be wary of should we see a Monsoon storm heading our way? Same question regarding the new offerings.

Of course a good treatment of Pecards will help tremendously, but some folks don't both using it....so I'm hoping to sidetrack any 'surprises'. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

however, what REALLY stupefies me is how he has enough slack in the collar to do THIS
this very thing has bugged me for ages and i have yet to see any vendor get it correctly though todd comes #### close IMO.

ford looks like he's wearing a collar that should be on a jacket at least 2 sizes up from the one he's wearing. the collar tips are sitting on his chest in most scenes. it's a shame that wested can't nail this look......but i understand the reasoning: why would you spent $400 on a custom made jacket only to have a sloppy collar like that?.......maybe i got to spend an extra $100 for the sloppy collar? :lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, the "rain factor" crossed my mind as well.....since it's been raining here today. Do this jacket need to be treated with something encase you're wearing it and you do get caught in a heavy downpour?

Would any "off the shelf" leather jacket protector work on it? The tag on my jacket just mentioned not using saddle soap and mink oil on it and IF it got wet to dry it at room temperature.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, you KNOW what product I'D recommend.... 8-[ :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

What, coffee? 8-[
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Well, you KNOW what product I'D recommend....

Regards! Michaelson
throwing it under the plymouth? :lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I've got the Pecards leather dressing for my whip and that is great stuff. I don't think that particular product can be applied to jackets though. I didn't really want to have to order something either. I'd rather just grab something here in town. I just wasn't sure if any old leather protectant would work with this particular leather or not.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pecards can be put on ANY leather product. It's just how MUCH you apply is the key.

A really light coat works fine on lambskin and tight pored leathers like Todd's light weight custom cowhides.

Regards! Michaelson
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I use mine on my whip as well as my jacket. Works great ! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's why I asked.

Like you said, A/C, sometimes it's a fixed dye, and somethings you find out the HARD way. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Not to hijack the thread, but.....
I use standard Pecards on my lambskin. As Michaelson said, a really light coat, just enough to get a sheen on the leather. I've also found that it is better to let it sit 2-3 days before you buff out the excess. One treatment is enough. If you do another treatment too soon, you'll end up with the 'stickies' ](*,)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, the thing that concerns me is the Pecards darkening the color of the jacket. I like the color of this jacket the way it is right now. I have noticed, especially with my whip , that using the Pecards has really darkened the leather.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

I didn't really notice any darkening of the jacket. Just my experience, though.
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

ztmario,

Two possible scenario's:

A) It's an illusion...
1) ford is leaning forward a bit
2) his jacket is slightly pulled more over to his left side (look at how the other collar tip is not nearly down as far as the left side)
3) the collar is pulled tight up against the back of his neck

These things allow the left collar tip tip to hang down more, especially since he is leaning forward.

B) It wouldn't suprise me if the jacket made for him in Raiders may have had a slightly different design for the front panels that produced a longer collar. By this I mean that maybe his jacket had bigger front panels so when the jacket was zipped up there would be more lag between his chest and the jacket. Wider front panels would allow for a longer collar stand and a longer collar stand would allow for a longer collar, and a longer collar would allow the tips of the collar to hang down further down the jacket as you said you notice throughout the film.

Who knows? I really wouldn't like it if the collar hung down that far.
But as a guess, I'll go with A.

junior
henryindianajonesjr44
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by henryindianajonesjr44 »

Looks great. I wish he'd make a Last Crusade version.

Andrew :wink:
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Snipes, you get your replacement yet? It's been a week.
I shipped it back to Todd Wednesday and then received a tracking number for the replacement Thursday. It must have not been shipped out though because I should have got it today if it had been, so looks like Monday :cry:

I should be getting my Aldens on Monday too...so I guess I have two things to look forward to, although I wish I got them both today!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

ac....is that a us wings jacket??? i think you better take that side by side shot out as you will be killing their sales :lol:
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

G, I believe that it is a Wings jacket in that picture.

On to the review by AC. He is right on so many levels. Though this jacket might not be "bulky," it is right as far as I am concerned. I wore it out tonight and it is just thin enough to not be hot in terms of Florida weather; and that is wearing a polo shirt with an undershirt. If you look at the temperatures that we are getting at night, you'll see. I had a Wings clearance jacket before this that I returned. That jacket cannot compare. Though I am not the foremost authority on jackets, I can say that it is great right out of the box, just like AC said.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

So what setting do you guys prefer on the straps with this jacket? Right now I've got mine pretty tight.

I was just kinda curious......
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I have mine cinched up pretty tight, Harry. I must say that this is the best fitting jacket I have ever had.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, it is. It's almost like I did have it custom fitted. This is the best fitting "off the rack" jacket I've ever owned. :)
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

Come to think of it, I have never had a custom jacket. :? I think a Wested should do the trick.
Jerome
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jerome »

Got mine yesterday, alas the Medium I ordered was smaller than my Medium Cooper Indy jacket, I had to send it back to swap for a large. The back pleats were fully opened when I put it on and it was a bit tight.

Liked the color, there was some dye blushing on the back panel where the dye is not as vivid. If I did not have to make a size exchange I would have lived with it.

There was no tag indicating country of origin, I am guessing Pakistan, not China- Just a hunch on my part.

It's a lightweight jacket as stated before, but it nails the look. Think of it as a leather windbreaker, I'll be wearing mine a lot next summer.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

[quote="Jerome"]Got mine yesterday, alas the Medium I ordered was smaller than my Medium Cooper Indy jacket, I had to send it back to swap for a large. The back pleats were fully opened when I put it on and it was a bit tight.
quote]

The Cooper I bought years ago was way oversized. More like a coat than a jacket. But I liked it once I got one that fit me, which was a size smaller than my usual off the rack size. Todd's jacket IS my usual off the rack size, but, obviously, you can't always take that for granted because sizing varies between one manufacturer and another.

Jack
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Sorry for quoting an old post but I wanted to add something myself.
Indiana G wrote: ford looks like he's wearing a collar that should be on a jacket at least 2 sizes up from the one he's wearing. the collar tips are sitting on his chest in most scenes. it's a shame that wested can't nail this look......but i understand the reasoning: why would you spent $400 on a custom made jacket only to have a sloppy collar like that?.......maybe i got to spend an extra $100 for the sloppy collar? :lol:
Actually I ordered a jacket with 2 sizes more in the collar, it didn't cost me anything more. I wanted to add actually 3 sizes but Peter suggested me that 2 were going to be enough. I trusted him.
The jacket is still in England and I haven't seen it yet but I'm surprised that no one till now (at least not that I can remember) has ever tried to order this spec.
I'll post pictures of it as soon as I get it. You'll have to wait to see if Wested "nailed" that look.
Anyway TOD and LC have the same collar look that the wested has always done. I'm sure if wested automatically put a 2 sizes larger collar on every jacket people would have started to complain.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm surprised that no one till now (at least not that I can remember) has ever tried to order this spec.
I did on my last Wested and although they did change the shape of the collar tips as requested (and they look very nice), they did not add the length of the collar like you're talking about.
I've actually brought this up years ago but people kept saying it was just because the jacket was up higher on his neck among some other ways to try to explain it. I always thought it was just a longer (not wider) collar.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Todd:

Safe to say this jacket will never be made/sized to fit someone like me? Once again the extra-tall receive the "short end of the stick."

(Yes, A.C., now I am espousing a trifle of sarcasm.) Or, perhaps, I could purchase two (2), and sew the sleeves together? You "normal" sized guys have all the fun.

Sincerely,
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Well Suess, it looks like we're in the same boat. I just put my jacket in the mail back to Todd because it was too short.

And Aeries you basically quoted what Todd said to me word for word. When I spoke to him about the return, I asked if he was going to make a Tall, he said he is considering it depending on how well this model does.

Hopefully its sooner rather than later.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aeris_Canon wrote: That's no good, Erin. Sorry to hear it came in too short on you, man. :x

Okay, the only thing worse than waiting for gear, is receiving gear, and having to return it. #-o
Live and learn, you know.

I just know that from now on I will be going over the details of my jacket tooth and nail, with whomever I buy one from. And yeah, it blows. Especially after seeing your pics but if this thing has one silver lining its that I will be ordering a custom next time. \:D/
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Aeris_Canon wrote:* * * Okay, the only thing worse than waiting for gear, is receiving gear, and having to return it. #-o
How true. I just returned my "Custom" Todd's cowhide, because of my funky sized upper body vs. waist. Todd's crew is busy adding to the pattern. But, he "nailed" the sleeves and back length.

E Jones: I commiserate with you. Every time, "custom" or nothing. No deals, no overstocks, no clearances for us. Unless you like polyester plaids.

Sincerely,
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aeris_Canon wrote:You guys need to shorten up a little. :roll:

Okay, that was pathetic at best. :lol:

Not that it helps either of you at all in your particular situations but did the feel of it turn you off too much or did it seem liveable? At least worthy of checking out further if it had fit?
Not sure I am reading you right here. Are you asking if the feel of the jacket put me off or will I but it again if it comes in my size? Is that right?
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aeris_Canon wrote:Yes, Erin. Just trying to see what your reaction was to how it felt to you. If it had fit, was it difficult to get past the lightweight of it? Or would that have been something easily overlooked as long as it looked right on you?

I'm only asking cause I know it's probably a bigger concern for many who'd like more opinions regarding that aspect of the jacket.
Well, I was put off at first but once I put it on and looked in the mirror I really took to it.... it was just the size that was the problem.

Now the leather is really thin and for some I can see how that would be an issue. I mean I wouldn't be going through the Amazon wearing it for fear of running into some Hovitos but If I wanted a light weight jacket, that would be the one I would buy. Or did buy :roll: It looks perfect.
Last edited by Tennessee Smith on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I think IF Todd offered it I could have gone with an XXL in this jacket and it still would have fit me. Not that this one doesn't look right. I'm still trying to adjust to the jacket in general. After wearing the Wested for so long it's still an odd feeling to have a jacket on that you don't actually "feel".

I've also run across another odd "side effect" of owning this jacket. It's lucky. I wore it out last night and ran into the Playboy Playmate of the Year and got her autograph. :lol:

Thanks again, Todd. :wink: :lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I've been wearing it around since I got it and it does not feel or look like a costume piece at all. I think giving it a label like that isn't totally fair. Yes, the leather is thin but it's still a leather jacket. I don't treat this jacket with anymore care than I have any of the other jackets I've owned and I don't get the feeling it's not going to hold up if I found myself in a fight with someone either.

Yes, I'd like to see someone take this jacket and put it threw a bunch of "tests" to see how far it could go IF they owned a spare because I'd like to know myself.

Until it's deteremined how far this jacket can be pushed I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Regarding the lightness of the Standard, to me the jacket in Raiders looks very light anyway-- and if you click the "Check out our new Indiana Jones Jackets!" blurb on the front page of Todd's website, it says the Standard is "made from beautiful lightweight lambskin, like the film jackets." Interesting.

Maybe someone who has actually handled one of the movie jackets would be able to tell just how exactly Todd's matches it in weight-- but to the naked eye (mine, anyway) it looks perfect.

Jack
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pitfall Harry wrote:I've been wearing it around since I got it and it does not feel or look like a costume piece at all. I think giving it a label like that isn't totally fair. Yes, the leather is thin but it's still a leather jacket. I don't treat this jacket with anymore care than I have any of the other jackets I've owned and I don't get the feeling it's not going to hold up if I found myself in a fight with someone either.

Yes, I'd like to see someone take this jacket and put it threw a bunch of "tests" to see how far it could go IF they owned a spare because I'd like to know myself.

Until it's deteremined how far this jacket can be pushed I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.
I agree completely, I read what I wrote and it came out wrong #-o
And as I said before if it would have been long enough I would be wearing mine right now. Hopefully Todd will start making the Tall versions soon. That way the vertically challenged can have a piece of the pie also.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

At that price point, I would gladly accept a "lighter leather," if it fit.

Hmmm, now for the "shortening thing." Saw, dremel, steam?

Sincerely,
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I have a hard time believing this jacket won't sell so for all of you out there needing a "Tall" version of the jacket or even an XXL I hope Todd is able to add these to the line fairly soon. It's a great deal I hate to see any Indy fan miss out on.

Even though this jacket drapes the same as the film version I'd be willing to bet Ford's jacket in the film has a little more weight to it. That's just the feeling I get when I watch clips from the film.

Of course that could all have to do with the inside lining of the jacket and not the thickness of the leather.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Thanks for the comments, all! I agree about the leather. It is light, but it does look the part. In fact, the longer I wear it, the better it looks. I was thinking about asking the factory to change it, but the longer I wear it the more I think it's ideal. It's breaking in naturally and developing creases and stretch marks like the screen jacket. The leather grain is becoming more pronounced.

My comment on the website comparing the lamskin to the original lambskin is only meant to inform the readers that both jackets were made from lightweight lambskin, not to imply that they are the SAME lambskin. I have no idea if they are or not, since I have not handled the original.

As far as other sizes (like "tall"), I am considering it. So far, the sales have been too small to offer more sizes. But maybe things will pick up.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

OK... Does the collar end at the mid point of the storm flap on Todd's standard jackets like on Todd's custom jackets or does it end at the zipper line as in a lot of wested jackets?

From the above posts, some have said it does and some have said it doesn't! :-k I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me!
:roll: :oops: :roll:

C3
Last edited by coronado3 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.