Recieved my Todd's Standard Lambskin Indiana Jones Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Recieved my Todd's Standard Lambskin Indiana Jones Jacket...

Post by Indiana Snipes »

and well... it's awesome! Looks like I'm the first to receive or at least post about the new Standard Lambskin Todd is selling. Lucky me that I only live about an hour or so away, I ordered my jacket Wednesday night and received it early this afternoon! I was worried about the size, but I bought a medium and it fits me like a glove! The sleeves are exactly the perfect length. It actually might be a little short but I think the Indy Jackets are cut a little short anyways (at least from pics I have seen Indy's jacket doesn't seem to go real long below his belt). Granted this is my first Indy jacket, I'm very pleased, great price (I couldn't say no to $150) and it seems to be very well made. Thanks for the great jacket Todd, looks real nice with my Federation!

Image[/img]
Last edited by Indiana Snipes on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I like it! Can't wait to receive mine. What size jacket are you normally? Can you post a few more pictures? Pockets, close-up of stitching? Lookin' good dude.
Last edited by GoneSolo on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

It does look a little short, but that's the only flaw I see-- otherwise it 's fantastic for an off the rack jacket! I was a little concerned that I ordered one so early, but after seeing your photos I think I made the right decision, and so did you! For the price, you couldn't go far wrong, anyway, especially with the offer of a full refund including postage. :D

Jack
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i think the length suits you fine....and if you're wearing a gunbelt rig it'll probably be for the better :wink:

is that full satin lining?

also, it doesn't look like the collar is at the midpoint of the stormflap. i guess you can't be too critical on the specs as that is one #### of a deal.....gotta be the best bang for your buck yet.
Last edited by Indiana G on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

eazybox wrote:It does look a little short, but that's the only flaw I see-- otherwise it 's fantastic for an off the rack jacket! I was a little concerned that I ordered one so early, but after seeing your photos I think I made the right decision, and so did you! For the price, you couldn't go far wrong, anyway, especially with the offer of a full refund including postage. :D

Jack
Yea probably also due to the fact I wear my pants low! But a large would have given me 2 extra inches in the chest and this one is more than enough.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

It looks good, but the pockets don't seem to be any more scalloped than a Wested or G&B.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Indiana G wrote:i think the length suits you fine....and if you're wearing a gunbelt rig it'll probably be for the better :wink:

is that full satin lining?

also, it doesn't look like the collar is at the midpoint of the stormflap. i guess you can't be too critical on the specs as that is one #### of a deal.....gotta be the best bang for your buck yet.
The lining is polyester.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

More pics up in the first post, just some closeups of pockets and stitching. I'll say this, this jacket is extremely light yet surprisingly keeps you quite warm. I have a leather motorcycle type jacket that is about twice weight and it's not this warm...must be the lambskin.
Last edited by Indiana Snipes on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow, that looks great. I can't wait to get mine. :D

Snipes, does the jacket feel really light when you put it on?

I'm assuming the collar will "relax" once it's worn a few times, won't it?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

geez, i usually have to eat $150 for extra options that i request from an indygear vendor. that jacket is awesome for the price....congrats. thanks for added pics.

cheers,

G
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Wow, that looks great. I can't wait to get mine. :D

Snipes, does the jacket feel really light when you put it on?

I'm assuming the collar will "relax" once it's worn a few times, won't it?
Yea the jacket is very light, but as I said above (which I just edited) it's surprisingly keeps you warm. You can probably mess with the collar a little to get the stiffness out, I say it's just like that because it's new.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, Snipes, as asked about, what jacket size do you normally wear? How does that medium compare to, say, a size 40 Regular?
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Hey, Snipes, as asked about, what jacket size do you normally wear? How does that medium compare to, say, a size 40 Regular?
I don't wear jackets too much, but I do have a suit coat in 40R, the 40R is bigger, definitely longer (much longer) the sleeves are about the same length. But this jacket is definitely more snug than a 40R. I'd say if a 40R was snug on you then get the next size up.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks! :wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, thanks for the info, Snipes! :D

It looks like there might be a Wested Goatskin up for sale here shortly. ;)
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Is that a satin lining? I'm not a big fan of satin as a pocket lining. Doesn't stand up to wear from keys or other hard/sharp objects. Looks good on you though...congrats.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

Polyester sir.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Okay so I started fooling around with the back straps and noticed something that kinda annoys me. The left side looks perfect but the right side when you pull the strap all the way just bunches up the jacket as you can tell in the picture. When you wear it's very noticeable because the right side is not going behind the back piece.

Also noticed this, there is a line drawn in on the jacket where I'm assuming the seam should have been, this is only on the right side (which is the side that's not flowing correctly behind the back piece, maybe this is why.

mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Did you shoot with flash? The leather looks really plastic...
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I have to say I am very, very impressed. This looks like it may be my next jacket purchase. I really want to thank Todd for bringing a very affordable and accurate jacket to the table. This is something that has been needed for a long time. It will give new gearheads and younger gearheads a great way to start the hobby. Cheers!

P.S. I would not worry about the drawn patter lines on the leather, they can be removed easily or will fade over the passage of time.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

mufflowne wrote:Did you shoot with flash? The leather looks really plastic...
Yea it's the flash.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Bogie1943 wrote:I have to say I am very, very impressed. This looks like it may be my next jacket purchase. I really want to thank Todd for bringing a very affordable and accurate jacket to the table. This is something that has been needed for a long time. It will give new gearheads and younger gearheads a great way to start the hobby. Cheers!

P.S. I would not worry about the drawn patter lines on the leather, they can be removed easily or will fade over the passage of time.
How do you get the straps to go towards the front pockets? I noticed in your review of Todd's other jacket the points were going towards the front pockets, this might help fix the issue I'm having with the right side not wanting to go back straight.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Aeris_Canon wrote:I've had jackets do that when pulled really tight at the sides like this. One side tucks under smoothly while the other wrinkles up a bit. Found that it kind of changes depending on which strap was cinched first. How does it look at a normal cinch position? (Or are you really wearing the straps that tight?) :?

Does the jacket look a bit more normal when the side straps aren't so tight on each side?

But - thanks for that shot of the back panel. The seams and yoke are exactly where they should be! :tup:
No I don't wear it that much cinched. Didn't have them pulled out at all and the right side still wasn't looking right.

Here's what I'm talking about:
Left Side - looks fine

Left Side - doesn't want to go behind jacket and so you can see my shirt.
Image[/img]
Last edited by Indiana Snipes on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I.Ss, it looks like the right pleat might be stuck together inside with some rubber cement. Reach in there and it should pull apart easily. They use rubber cement in the assembly to hold the leather in position, and they might have missed that spot when they were pulling it apart.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Puppetboy wrote:I.Ss, it looks like the right pleat might be stuck together inside with some rubber cement. Reach in there and it should pull apart easily. They use rubber cement in the assembly to hold the leather in position, and they might have missed that spot when they were pulling it apart.
Okay, tried that but it's still the same. Here's the problem the measurements are different. I measured the ends of the side pieces and they aren't the same. The Left side is 4.5 inches the Right side is 4.25 inches

Left Side

Right Side
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Aeris_Canon wrote:I see. Hmm. (Just about a chalk-line marker off, isn't it?) Send it back, Snipes. I know it seems miniscule but something like that would drive me nuts, too. I'll check for that on mine Monday. I do see what you're pointing out, though, and can see how it might continue to bug you.

Hopefully this isn't consistent in the jackets and might just be a need for Todd to ask the factory to work harder at staying in the lines and stitch the thing ALONG those lines. :D

If it's really bugging you to the point of not wanting it anymore; stop wearing it as of right now, fold it back up neatly and set up an exchange with Todd's. :tup:

Still like the overall look of it and really hope that was just a one-time deal with the factory.
Yea let me know if yours is the same as well, since you got a Medium too. I have a feeling they didn't measure it right especially with the chalk line that is clearly visible on this side. So maybe I just received a lemon.
Jerome
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jerome »

I just ordered one, was bummed to find out they shipped UPS ground- it will take twice as long as a $9 USPS Priority Mail flat-rate box to arrive. Hopefully the jacket will be worth the price and wait. I will probably replace the side buckles with rectangular slider rings, I got some at my local tandy leather that worked perfect on my Cooper jacket.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

my question for todd (and the assembled body) is this... based of the measurement chart:

sleeve chest length
S 32" 44" 23½"
M 33" 46" 24½"
L 33½" 48" 25"
XL 34" 50" 25"

with my 44" chest, I'd want a L.. but my sleeves are a 35", which means NONE of the jackets would fit me? and the closest is an XL, which is too big in the chest?

:cry:
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:my question for todd (and the assembled body) is this... based of the measurement chart:

sleeve chest length
S 32" 44" 23½"
M 33" 46" 24½"
L 33½" 48" 25"
XL 34" 50" 25"

with my 44" chest, I'd want a L.. but my sleeves are a 35", which means NONE of the jackets would fit me? and the closest is an XL, which is too big in the chest?

:cry:
I think your measuring something wrong. What's your sleeve length from shoulder to cuff? Shoulder to cuff on the medium is about 23 inches.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

uh.. my sleeve length from shoulder to cuff is 35. that chart right there says it's 32" and that comes from todd's site. my expo measures 35 and I even think THAT'S too short once the leather breaks in. where do you get 23?
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:uh.. my sleeve length from shoulder to cuff is 35. that chart right there says it's 32" and that comes from todd's site. my expo measures 35 and I even think THAT'S too short once the leather breaks in. where do you get 23?
I just measured the jacket I got from him which is a medium... hold on and I'll post a picture of what I'm measuring. If your measuring what I am you must have super long arms. I don't understand Todd's sleeve measurements...to confusing IMO.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

lol.. what do you think your dress shirt size is?? you measure from the shoulder seam to the bottom of the sleeve. but you can't measure straight down with a ruler, you either have to use a cloth measuring tape, or be able to contour a tape measurer to the jacket sleeve, because it's not a straight line.

and for some reason, I got serious deja vu from explaining that. :?
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:lol.. what do you think your dress shirt size is?? you measure from the shoulder seam to the bottom of the sleeve. but you can't measure straight down with a ruler, you either have to use a cloth measuring tape, or be able to contour a tape measurer to the jacket sleeve, because it's not a straight line.

and for some reason, I got serious deja vu from explaining that. :?
This is shoulder to cuff my friend. Todd's measurement isn't shoulder to cuff he explained what his was. 23 inches and I am using a cloth tape.

ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

well.. since you and I both know I'm retarded, I guess there's no point in editing my posts to seem less stupid.

yeah, todd's measurements threw me off then. I'm not sure what I was thinking.. my expo measures 24 1/2. how do his measurements work then? if the L has 25ish sleeves, I'll order one right now.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:well.. since you and I both know I'm retarded, I guess there's no point in editing my posts to seem less stupid.

yeah, todd's measurements threw me off then. I'm not sure what I was thinking.. my expo measures 24 1/2. how do his measurements work then? if the L has 25ish sleeves, I'll order one right now.
LOL, no problem I didn't know what I was getting when I ordered mine and was pleasantly surprised when the sleeves were perfect. So I really don't know what to tell you about the large, since I don't have one. I'd say if your expo is a large and the sleeves are a perfect fit on you then get a large. Like everyone says if it doesn't fit Todd will gladly exchange it.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

well, the sleeves on the expo I would like to have longer... but it's a "tall", and they don't exactly offer a "taller" size. also, it's a size 42.. that doesn't exactly equate to todd's sizing chart, since the expo's are not exact measurements. hopefully someone knows how todd measures so I don't have to pm him.. I'm lazy. and I HATE dealing with exchanges, so I wanna know what I'm doing up front.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:well, the sleeves on the expo I would like to have longer... but it's a "tall", and they don't exactly offer a "taller" size. also, it's a size 42.. that doesn't exactly equate to todd's sizing chart, since the expo's are not exact measurements. hopefully someone knows how todd measures so I don't have to pm him.. I'm lazy. and I HATE dealing with exchanges, so I wanna know what I'm doing up front.
A medium equates to about a 40 so large would be about a 42.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

see.. I thought I remembered him saying that the jackets were measured exactly.. and to order up a size from whatever your chest measures, instead of going down like I did with the GB. that would mean I'd order a 46 (the 42 GB should actually measure 46 inside)... I just wonder what the sleeve length is on it. or at least how he measures it (I assume it's from the collar to the sleeve, but I'd rather know for sure). thanks for the pics though.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

ztmario wrote:see.. I thought I remembered him saying that the jackets were measured exactly.. and to order up a size from whatever your chest measures, instead of going down like I did with the GB. that would mean I'd order a 46 (the 42 GB should actually measure 46 inside)... I just wonder what the sleeve length is on it. or at least how he measures it (I assume it's from the collar to the sleeve, but I'd rather know for sure). thanks for the pics though.
He tells how he measures the sleeve on his site. Here's the link.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/india ... jacket.htm

"The sleeve is measured from the center base of the neck, over the shoulder, and down to the cuff."
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

ztmario wrote:I just wonder what the sleeve length is on it. or at least how he measures it (I assume it's from the collar to the sleeve, but I'd rather know for sure)
From his website:

"The sleeve is measured from the center base of the neck, over the shoulder, and down to the cuff."
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

That is the way tailors usually measure sleeves. Same way it is measured when you buy a dress shirt. 17 1/2/35 in a dress shirt equats to a 17 1/2 inch neck, and a 35 inch sleeve measured from the center of the neck over the shoulder and down the arm.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Thanks, Buff, you are right. The measurements given are JACKET DIMENSIONS, not sizes. Sleeves are measured like a shirt, from the center back of neck, over the shoulder, and down to the cuff. The chest measurements are so you can estimate your size. Some prefer to take their chest size and add 4", some (like me) prefer 6".

I.S., I'm not sure what's up with your jacket - that 1/4" of difference really doesn't matter on that panel - it is overlapped by the back panel anyway and isn't seen. The pictures you show reveal way more than a 1/4" gap at the pleat on the left. I wouldn't blame that slight discrepancy. By the time the jacket is broken in and wrinkly, it is irrelevant. I suspect something else. I'd check a few things - feel between the jacket body and lining to see if anything is pulling where it shouldn't - as in a piece of lining caught in a seam. Also compare the leather on the right and the left - if one piece is stiff and another soft, is can cause it to crinkle differently. If this is the case, it will break in and soften. The longer you wear it, the more it will take your shape. If there is not something obviously wrong (much more than a 1/4" asymmetry) then consider this:

Your body is far more than 1/4" asymetrical - your shoulders are probably rotated, tilted, or skewed. We all are. Perhaps just give it some time to break in and shape to you - soon it will look just right on YOU.

I'm just throwing out some suggestions. When you started this thread, you thought your jacket was "awesome" and I want you to still feel that way. Don't let these very minor things ruin your fun!

Remember two things: ONE: this is not a premium jacket. If you want perfection in every stitch, you need to look higher up the scale. TWO: Indy's jacket was beat up, scuffed, dirty, wrinkled, and hung like a rag. Who would know if his jacket was 1/4" off in the back? His vents were ALWAYS open! Please wear this jacket out, wear it everywhere, beat it up, dirty it up, and have a great time.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

I have tried everything to get that side to fit straight like the opposing side, even pulling it while I had it on, and all it would do would bunch up again while the other side stayed absolutely smooth and flush against the back. I know it's not my body shape because it's clear the jacket doesn't react the same way just from looking at the back without having the jacket on.

Again as this picture shows the difference, just look at the bottom under the straps the left side is straight and even the right side is all over the place, that's my issue. Because when I put this on the left side is closed and tight the right side is flaring open. I understand this is only a $150 dollar jacket, but shouldn't at least the two sides match and flow the same way? How hard is it to have two sides measured the same. I know to some people this may be a petty issue but it's not like I'm complaining about something that's completely nitpicky, something is off on this one side and making it offset, I'm pretty sure it just wasn't measured correctly or at least not to the same measurements as the other side.

Don't get me wrong Todd I think other than this the jacket is awesome, but this is something I'm going to notice every time I look in the mirror and it will bug the crapola out of me because it should be the same on both sides no matter what the price is.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I.S. it's no problem. I'll swap it out. I've got to see this jacket, now. I can't imagine what could cause this. Just don't measure the next one. :lol:
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

How does Todds lambskin in terms of thickness and durability in relation to Westeds??

I have a wested lamb and it is very thin. Is that how the leather for this jacket is?
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Puppetboy wrote:I.S. it's no problem. I'll swap it out. I've got to see this jacket, now. I can't imagine what could cause this. Just don't measure the next one. :lol:
I'll be shipping it back to you probably on Wednesday or Thursday that's the next time I'll be around a UPS. Hey other than me and Aeris discussing this no one else has appeared to care so no harm no foul! :wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Oh, I'm interested......I've just been watching and patiently waiting for my jacket to arrive. If I notice anything odd about it I'll certainly let everyone know.

This could just be a lemon that you got Snipes or there could be a batch of them that are "defective". IF AC's shows up with this same problem then I'm going to be worried.

Seeing is that this is the initial release of this jacket there's bound to be "production flaws".......That happens with every new item. It's just a matter of working out all the little kinks.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

Excellent review Canon. I think that the light-weight feel will do wonders down here in Miami. Also, I actually like the fact that the sleeves taper like that; I prefer this slimmer fit. As for the color, are these pics more accurate or are the ones that Snipes posted a better representation of the color?

Thanks for the review. That jacket seems like a great deal.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

That jacket looks amazing! I'm even more excited to get imine now.

Jack
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I enjoyed reading that last response of yours Canon. I would refresh my browser and find that you had added more and more tidbits.
I sincerely hope that the "fit" issues (namely the length) will help the way that it looks on me (something that might have been with a custom jacket). My frame is fairly small and I'm not the tallest guy in the bunch.

As of an hour ago, my jacket is in transit to my home. :D