Why do you have more than One Fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

How Many Indiana Jones Fedoras do you own?

33%
25%
3-4
20%
5-9
15%
10+
6%

Total votes: 111

Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

One thing I have not been able to figure out here at COW is why people buy so many hats from the same vender. I see posts of people saying they have ordered 3 and 4 ABs, AB DLX etcs. and plan to order more. What are people looking for in all these hats? Is it common to have one hat from each movie in your collection?

I must say I post this with some hesitation because if I get some good answers I may find myself buying more hats....
best,
Canada

PS Even if you do not post a response I would appreciate it if you could do the survey. Thanks so much.
Last edited by Canada Jones on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Frankly, we have so many just so we can keep people like you up at night wondering why. Actually, that's not the reason at all. We do it because we keep wanting the next better thing. You know, get the cheaper thing to see if you like it or not, and if you do (we always do, it seems) we buy the expensive one. I'm a bit different, though, after I got the good one (a second hand fed deluxe) I didn't need another one until it died, and I'm currently in the market. But yeah, most people seem to get more than one because they keep wanting a better one, lol.

-Daryl
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

as far as myself goes....

need an hj
need a turned ab hat
need an ab unturned hat
need a turned ab hat that's a little tall
need the ab hats above in both beaver and rabbit
need to try what today's hj has to offer
need a hat for practicing throwing on to a coat rack
need a hat from a local vendor to see how close he can get it to the rotla specs
throw in some todd's hj's in the mix for some TOD and LC hats
need to buy a hat to play with while waiting on an AB
need to try a magnoli hj

variety is the spice of life canada jones....thats why i keep buying hats. primarily i buy them to add to my collection.....not just to keep the sun out of my eyes cuz if i did, i'd only have 2 :wink:
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Kentucky:
I get the idea of getting a better hat when it comes along. But then we get great hats like the AB and the AD DLX so why buy more than one of these since they will last several lifetimes?
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Indiana G wrote:as far as myself goes....

need an hj
need a turned ab hat
need an ab unturned hat
need a turned ab hat that's a little tall
need the ab hats above in both beaver and rabbit
need to try what today's hj has to offer
need a hat for practicing throwing on to a coat rack
need a hat from a local vendor to see how close he can get it to the rotla specs
throw in some todd's hj's in the mix for some TOD and LC hats
need to buy a hat to play with while waiting on an AB
need to try a magnoli hj

variety is the spice of life canada jones....thats why i keep buying hats. primarily i buy them to add to my collection.....not just to keep the sun out of my eyes cuz if i did, i'd only have 2 :wink:
Indiana G - Great list - wow. Where do you keep 'em all?
Oh,and on the need list for me it would be:
need to get a second job to pay for all my hats....
Which hat do you find yourself wearing the most or is there a favorite?
Also, why the turned and unturned version? Can you feel the difference on your head?
thanks
Canada
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

canuck,

my go to hat is an AB rabbit, standard spec with a nice deep channel on the right side. it is turned....the part of a turned hat that i like is that the ribbon is more prominent when you view yourself in a mirror. you can't feel the turn on your head as fedora turns them on the block which means that they will fit your head turned upon receipt.....if you want to turn it yourself and feel the brim warpage (another reason why i like the turned hat), you can order your hat open crowned.......but i'm not too good at bashing the crown.

another reason why i have multiple hats is to match the multiple gear i have which is typically categorized by the different movies. i typically won't wear my TOD jacket with a raiders hat and LC tie....i would of in the past but i stopped taking my meds :wink: .........for all you lurkers out there, get out of here while you still can and have money in your pocket :lol: .......once you journey to the SA darkside, forever will it rule your destiny 8)
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Indiana G wrote:canuck,

my go to hat is an AB rabbit, standard spec with a nice deep channel on the right side. it is turned....the part of a turned hat that i like is that the ribbon is more prominent when you view yourself in a mirror. you can't feel the turn on your head as fedora turns them on the block which means that they will fit your head turned upon receipt.....if you want to turn it yourself and feel the brim warpage (another reason why i like the turned hat), you can order your hat open crowned.......but i'm not too good at bashing the crown.

another reason why i have multiple hats is to match the multiple gear i have which is typically categorized by the different movies. i typically won't wear my TOD jacket with a raiders hat and LC tie....i would of in the past but i stopped taking my meds :wink: .........for all you lurkers out there, get out of here while you still can and have money in your pocket :lol: .......once you journey to the SA darkside, forever will it rule your destiny 8)
Indiana G:
Your message made me laugh...and cry. I see the issue here. Its all about the detail. I have an AB on order from Steve. Very pleased to have him make me a hat. I ordered a Raiders hat so thankfully I have a Raiders Lambskin Wested. I was thinking of ordering a LC jacket though which may **** me into the Dark side. .... If it helps any Meds are much cheaper here in Canada...
best
Canada
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

:lol: .....much of the reason why i became such a stitch nazi is because my 'close enough' collection was piling up way too much and i was buying way too much stuff. if i became a-retentive on what i buy....i'm actually saving money. plus i'm enjoying the hobby a whole lot more than i use to as i will only order my gear in a certain way, but love to see how other people enjoy their gear in ways which are out of my purchasing parameters.....yes, i am living vicariously (sp?) through you guys out there! things like todd's $149 radiers jacket or cowboy's wolf's hattery fedora are just some of the things that aren't on my wish list but they are awesome things to read about and listen to how other members are enjoying them. pitfall harry's close-enough gear looks as good or perhaps even better than my SA/original vendor gear and he didn't have to break the bank to get all of that stuff.......i truly enjoy this hobby. my wish list is almost all crossed off but its a joy to see/read about everyone else's gear and adventures :D
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Indiana G:
You know when you look at it as a hobby then the cost really is not too bad. If you play golf lets say - there are equipment costs and green fees etc. forever so it can really add up. Once you have all your gear to a place you are happy with it then you are ok as long as they don't release another film...oh wait....
Canada
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

....when the gear is perfect (and hopefully it never will be :wink: )....then it's time to channel the hobby fundage for some summits. there are alot of folks that i'd love to meet in person that have made this hobby extremely enjoyable for me........and bink too :lol:
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I have:

2 Disneyland purchased Indy hats
1 Morris Lite Felt fedora
1 Raiders/LC Hybrid AB (ordered)

When I was 8 I got a small Disneyland hat. 2 years ago I got a medium. 4 months ago I realized how bad the Disneyland hat looked and bought the Morris because I wanted a nicer fedora. It's really soft but doesn't really look anything like an Indy. And about a week ago I ordered an AB from Steve. I don't plan on getting another.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I have 2 Indy hats (that I'd wear) and I have a third on order. My first one that I got was an Akubra that I bought about 3 years ago to upgrade from my DP - it was the best I could get without buying a HJ, and AB hadn't really kicked off yet. Then last year I bought an AB rabbit since they were sort of on clearance sale. Now I have a beaver AB on order - which was actually a gift from a super awesome member here, whom I'm totally indebted to - which I wanted because Indy has one!

I would buy others though, I think, just to compare in person and have for different occasions. Like right now, I have my Akubra covered in Fuller's, and my AB (which leaves a red mark on my head and is kind of tight) is pristine. If I could get ABs in other colors, that would be very nice too. But now I'm just rambling.

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I know I posted this pic in another thread not so long ago. Here were most of the hats I could get to at the time I took this picture. My first AB was out for a reblock at the time, but has returned since.

Not all of my hats are Indy hats. In fact, I'd venture to say all of my hats are binkmeister hats. I'm a hat addict. I admit that. Each of my hats have a different character, bash, and/or color to them. A few of these hats get worn more than others, but I'll walk out with a hat that matches my mood, frame of mind, or attire. As to owning several of the same make, I have AB number four on order as we speak. But each of my AB's are different from one another. And whereas some gearheads have multiple Indy fedoras, I only consider one of my AB's an Indy hat, and that's pushing it a bit for me since they all end up getting my personality put into them. Again, I own binkmeister hats. :wink: But I like the AB's because of the quality and workmanship of these hats. They're like the custom hats made in the 20s-30s.

But just because I enjoy the quality of one hat maker, it doesn't mean that I don't like other hats, as well. My current favorite over the past few days is an old Dobbs Cross Country. (The one above with the rust colored ribbon.) It's been a favorite that I've had for years, and which has probably been on more adventures and excursions than an other hat, save my first AB. It's an old friend and just feels right on my head, yet the Dobbs is not nearly as nice a hat as the AB. And there are more hats on my list to get, including an open-crowned Camptown or two.

I guess I'm different that many gearheads here because I've always enjoyed and worn hats, long before Indy, even. So for me, it has nothing to do with wanting or needing another Indy hat, rather, it's like having another suit in the closet, or another extesion of who I am.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

What? No choice for zero hats?? :wink: Just kidding. Still waiting my first AB. I do own two jackets though. Maybe we could put the same question on the jacket index?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I'm a one hat kind of guy.

I've owned quite a few over the years but always sold them on. I do recall owning 3 at one point, but quickly dwindled it down to one again.

Just got one hat now, too - My AB deluxe. :)
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I own more than one pair of shoes.
More than one pair of pants.
More than one pair of underwear.
More than one coat, jacket, shirt, gloves, jeans, sunglasses, etc....

See where I'm going here???

Just another article of clothing for me. I have two Indy hats, a Fed Standard and an Optimo, but have another ten hats for different ocassions.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

zeus36 wrote:
More than one pair of underwear.
Thank goodness! :shock: :lol:
Brendan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Brendan »

I'm a one underwear kind of guy.

(kidding.)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, I'm generally a "hat guy" in addition to being a gear head. So I'm in double trouble. I admit that I have at least as many non-Indy hats as I do Indy hats! My current Indy collection numbers only 3 (AB "Idol Grab", JPD rabbit, and a reblocked Federation). I have on order 3 more! That would be a Magnoli HJ, and two AB's. So... why?
1. The Fed is only an Indy hat because it needed a reblock and I figure, what the heck! I didn't buy it with this intention. So it's really just a matter of convenience, and has become my whip-crackin' hat. I can sweat in it and mess it up and never feel any regret.
2. AB Idol Grab; My first AB. I had to have one. Plain and simple. I wasn't going to waste time and money working y way through "lesser" hats. Fell in love right away. This replaced my Keppler, which I only bought to survive an Indy Summit with some dignity, then sold it.
3. JPD rabbit; I wanted to try out a JPD hat in general, and this baby went on sale at just about that time. So, I fed my LC hat hunger.
4. (on order) AB Seaplane gray; After getting my brown AB, I knew I wanted a gray one. When I saw Bufflehead's... I started saving. Then, when the major price hike was announced, I knew it was now or never!
5. (on order) AB Well of Souls; I got a little over excited when I ordered the gray one. I don't need it. But I tell myself that it's a life-long investment that I'll never be able to afford after Indy 4 comes out. Officially, though, I have no good reason for this Indy hat.
6. (soon to arrive) Magnoli HJ; I thought I would NEVER want another Indy hat. I mean, with 3 AB's and 2 others, who needs more? Then, Magnoli and Steve come up with the ultimate Indy hat! What was I supposed to do? :oops:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Ok...I will bite into this one...I have several 'Indy-style' hats. Two Baron's one brown, one grey. I have two HJ's, both brown. and a custom GH Brown and a custom grey GH. I have also a custom made 'Huges-style' fedora and a custom 'Bogie style (in navy) fedora. And a variety of other hats from deerstalkers to news boy type hats. And, ball caps up the cazoo. I have a straw PB Indy and a load of Tilly canvas, hemp and wool-winter hats. Gee whizz guys...if I only liked hats this would make sense :shock: ! What can I tell you? I am abounding with some pretty cool hats and I love them all and wear them all, as I can. Need a second head to wear more than one at a time :roll: ! W>
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

raider 57 wrote:What? No choice for zero hats??
You beat me to the punch. Of my 6 hats, not one of them is an Indy, but like Raider 57, I've got an AB on the way. I think after that I may order an AB deluxe, but I don't think I'll plan on buying any more Indy hats after that. Even at that, I wouldn't make the AB deluxe into an Indy hat, per se. It'd be my own style, much like binkmeister's.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I've only got one - the one I'm wearing in my avatar. I got it 17 years ago from a hat-shop that catered for the jewish community in London. Cost about £30 at the time. I remember spending ages steaming it and bashing out the dreaded teardrop crown it came with. Used to wear it all the time in my university days, and it's even been to Tunisia with me. It's a bit tight on me these days, so I don't wear it much. I'm now waiting for the right moment to buy a more SA one.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Satipo, your Indy hat is Kosher! I guess that would make it a good Raiders of the Lost Ark hat! :wink:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I guess so! Never thought about it like that before. Does that mean I could actually look at the Ark when it's opened? :D
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

I currently have 3 Indy Fedoras and one on order from Marc. I am working on ordering another fedora from Steve. Why do i have more then one...my first hat was an SAB HJ that i bought to get nice and worn. I was completly happy with that one but decided i wanted a hat to wear and keep nice. So i ordered an HJ from Todds. Right around that time Bending Oak went off on how good the ABs were so i figured i should give them a shot since i really had no experience with them and could only give one side of the argument when it comes to which one is better. After about 2 weeks of wear i was sold on the AB. So now instead of stocking up on HJs i am stockin up on ABs :P I need 1 to wear and keep nice, 1 to beat up and wear with the costume, and 1 gray fedora to keep nice. After those I should be finished with hats for a little while and maybe go into looking at some more whips :D
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

OCD :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Fedoraman wrote:OCD :lol:
Don't you mean OFD? :lol: :wink:
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I have two, one brown and one gray. That pretty much covers all of the ground I need so the hat will go with whatever I'm wearing. I'm thinking of getting a third one so I can have a distressed Indy brown one as well.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have a storage building full of hats, mostly vintage. I don't wear them much, just wanted them for a collection to illustrate how well hats used to be made.

I used to keep 7 hats on the hat tree, and wore a different one each day. These days, I wear two, one that Marc made for me, and one that I made for myelf. If one gets wet, I have the extra to wear until the wet one dries. But, I can see where I need 3. Just in case it rains for more than one day in a row. On my wet hats, I punch out the crown, fill it with newspaper and stand it on its crown, taking care to style the brim before I sit it down. The brim dries with the good brim re-style and it is ready to just pick up and crease once it dries. Proper treatment of your hats is essential, especially when you get them wet. All the oldtimers were taught this early on by their dad, but these days, the knowledge is lacking and is not passed on. It's all about baseball caps mostly today. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

ghat

Post by BendingOak »

Thats what I do. I have one from you Steve and one from marc. I go between the two ( the one that is dry I wear).I 'm in Oregon and it rains a good amount here. I have 2 other AB's right now (1 grey and 1 brown for dressing up) a total of 4 hats ( not counting 2 hats that my kid plays with). I have let go of the rest of my hats. At one piont I had close to a dozen in my hands at one time. I couldn't tell you how many all together.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I've been a collector of hats all my life. When I was a small child it was Pinky Lee, Popeye, Davy Crockett, Robin Hood and Zorro. I loved Zorro most of all.

I had a plastic Zorro hat that I wore every day while driving my parents crazy putting Zs all over the house with a chalk-tipped sword. It broke my heart when that hat cracked and I couldn't play with it anymore.

Almost 50 years later, I bought the real deal-- a beautiful replica made from the same block as the hat Guy Williams wore on the old Disney series-- and from Guy's son, no less.

Of course, I never wear this hat-- I bought it out of pure love.

It's the same with most of my Indy hats. I've lost count of the number of those I've owned over the years, but it has to be at least 30, including 7 Herbert Johnsons-- none of which were completely satisfying until the one I just received from Steve. I've only worn a few of my Indy hats with any degree of regularity, but I love collecting them and will probably buy more in the future.

Even though I know a little bit about psychology, I've never tried to analyze this obsession too deeply-- what would be the point? It's a lot of fun, and it doesn't hurt anything-- although my wallet might disagree with that last statement. :wink:

Jack
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I have two hats, my first one was an regular Akubra which is about five years old, is now tapered and in serious need of a reblock. :shock:

My second hat is an Adventurebilt from Steve which I have had for about two years now. :D
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Wow. Great responses by all. I am actually surprised that the "1 hat" camp seems to be the majority so far. I would not have guessed this. I can see the benefits of multiple hats (if one gets wet in the rain or one to wear and one to keep mint) but there is something to having only one hat - makes the decision which one to wear easier that is for sure. I laughed at WConly's comments about needed a second head. Very true.
best
Canada
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Why do you have more than One Fedora?

Post by Strider »

Canada Jones wrote:One thing I have not been able to figure out here at COW is why people buy so many hats from the same vender. I see posts of people saying they have ordered 3 and 4 ABs, AB DLX etcs. and plan to order more. What are people looking for in all these hats? Is it common to have one hat from each movie in your collection?

I must say I post this with some hesitation because if I get some good answers I may find myself buying more hats....
thanks
Canada
Well, I have a beaver AB right now, and a rabbit AB on the way, so wanting one of each offering kind of speaks for itself there. However, I can see others wanting two of the same type of AB so they have one they can rough up and wear all the time, and one they can wear with a nice suit. The AB really does accentuate most everything perfectly. Out in the Mayan jungle, guns blazing, bad guys closing in on every angle ... or Sir Winston's aboard the QM, you can wear an AB almost everywhere (except skydiving or bungee jumping or in a hot air balloon).

As far as having different hats from different vendors, MY reason is that I want to know what's out there. What I used to see a lot (and to some degree, still do) was people saying that the AB was the be all, end all. The best hat, period. One doesn't have to search too far back in the annals of Indy Gear to see the same thing happened with Peters Bros., Optimo, etc.
My main point of conjecture when I saw posts like that was to wonder how many other Indy hats that poster owned from different vendors. Honestly, how can you say this or that hat is the best if you haven't handled a good portion of what can actually be bought?

I've owned a DP, Peters Bros., a Keppler, two Akubra regulars, three Adventurebilts (sold two due to financial hardships), with a rabbit AB on the way. I still want to have a Magnoli HJ, a JPD, a Camptown Fieldmaster, an AB DLX, an Optimo, another Keppler, and I'd like to handle hats from Barons, other Peters Bros Indys (PBBM), among others, so I can get a feel for what I am comparing the AB to, so that if I ever say something like it's the best, period, I'll at least have the experience to back that statement up.

Also, another reason to own multiple hats from the same vendor is if you want the same quality hat with a different style (Raiders, ToD, LC, KotCS).
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Why do you have more than One Fedora?

Post by Canada Jones »

Strider wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:One thing I have not been able to figure out here at COW is why people buy so many hats from the same vender. I see posts of people saying they have ordered 3 and 4 ABs, AB DLX etcs. and plan to order more. What are people looking for in all these hats? Is it common to have one hat from each movie in your collection?

thanks
Canada
Well, I have a beaver AB right now, and a rabbit AB on the way, so wanting one of each offering kind of speaks for itself there. However, I can see others wanting two of the same type of AB so they have one they can rough up and wear all the time, and one they can wear with a nice suit. The AB really does accentuate most everything perfectly. Out in the Mayan jungle, guns blazing, bad guys closing in on every angle ... or Sir Winston's aboard the QM, you can wear an AB almost everywhere (except skydiving or bungee jumping or in a hot air balloon).

As far as having different hats from different vendors, MY reason is that I want to know what's out there. What I used to see a lot (and to some degree, still do) was people saying that the AB was the be all, end all. The best hat, period. One doesn't have to search too far back in the annals of Indy Gear to see the same thing happened with Peters Bros., Optimo, etc.
My main point of conjecture when I saw posts like that was to wonder how many other Indy hats that poster owned from different vendors. Honestly, how can you say this or that hat is the best if you haven't handled a good portion of what can actually be bought?

I've owned a DP, Peters Bros., a Keppler, two Akubra regulars, three Adventurebilts (sold two due to financial hardships), with a rabbit AB on the way. I still want to have a Magnoli HJ, a JPD, a Camptown Fieldmaster, an AB DLX, an Optimo, another Keppler, and I'd like to handle hats from Barons, other Peters Bros Indys (PBBM), among others, so I can get a feel for what I am comparing the AB to, so that if I ever say something like it's the best, period, I'll at least have the experience to back that statement up.

Also, another reason to own multiple hats from the same vendor is if you want the same quality hat with a different style (Raiders, ToD, LC, KotCS).
Strider:
I totally see your point - yes, unless you compare to other hats one cannot say which one is best. The problem with our hobby is that it is mostly by mail order (at least for me in Canada) and so unless you actually buy a product it can be hard to know what you are getting. I think the Summits help with that - to sit down and compare different makers hats with fellow indy gear fans. Ultimately though I guess it comes down to what is best for one personally and for some that may be just taking the advice of others to help them in their choice, and for others like yourself you want to see and try the different hats. I think both are valid positions (albeit one is a lot more $$$) and since this is a hobby we all approach it differently which I think makes it far more interesting.

Years ago I went to Swaine and Addey (sp?) in London thanks to a tip from Michaelson (that is one guy I owe more than anything to in terms of finding accurate Indy gear...). I even met Richard Swale. I did not however, get the impression that I would be able to get a bang on accurate Indy hat from them and that combined with the cost of the hat I decided to pass on it at the time. Of course in the back of my mind I have never forgotten that they made the original Indy hat but of course that did not mean they still made the best hat. One thing I have learned from Indygear is that materials change so unless you get one from the same era made by the same person there will be differences. Look at the Morgan whip as a good example. Do I want something that is made by the original maker or do I want something SA? So if I want both now I have to have 2.
best
Canada
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

"Why do you have more than One Fedora?"

Why, not? I am always afraid, that once I find the hat which is "perfect," it will be lost, chewed, blown away, or worn out.

Thus, a spare.

Sincerely,
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Dr.Seuss wrote:"Why do you have more than One Fedora?"

Why, not? I am always afraid, that once I find the hat which is "perfect," it will be lost, chewed, blown away, or worn out.

Thus, a spare.

Sincerely,
Dr. Seuss:
Always wondered - the hat in your avatar - is this a hat you own? Great looking hat and a great photo of it. Oh and I assume that is not your "perfect" Indy hat...
:wink:

best
Canada
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have.....several hats in my closet.
8)
The reason is simple. When PM'd or emailed by members asking for my opinion regarding a particular item, I can pull one out and reply from personal experience of what I see, and what I've personally experenced with the item.

This is always best than a 'well, I've read...' or 'well, I heard....' :?

In my case, I can pull one out and say...'well, what I SEE....'

Do I have favorites? Sure.

What are they? They're....my favorites. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:What are they? They're....my favorites. :lol: :wink:
Now THAT'S a recommendation! :lol: :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Works for me! :D

Regard! Michaelson
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Canada Jones wrote:Dr. Seuss:
Always wondered - the hat in your avatar - is this a hat you own? Great looking hat and a great photo of it. Oh and I assume that is not your "perfect" Indy hat...:wink: best Canada
Canada:

I confess, that is my hat. A theatrical number, best suited for wear "Through the Looking Glass," or in "A Christmas Carol." A. Canon once noted, a great hat to wear at a convention. Bit hard to miss.

My Indy hats: couple of Stetsons, couple of PBs, AB in the making, JPD in the works, and a Fed regular.

Sincerely,
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

I only have one brown fedora (my Akubra Fed regular), but I've also got two others (well, one and one on order).

The one I currently have is black, and I got it for $40 at a "going out of business" sale at a local habidasherist's place in Nashville in 1999 or 2000 (I can't remember). It makes for a good enough dress hat until I either get a black Akubra or a different black hat.

The other hat I have on order is a dark grey fedora from Rand's in Billings, MT which I won in a card game this year. It's currently being built. No idea when exactly I'll get it, but I'm hoping in time for the winter.

I want a black hat, a brown hat, and a grey hat mostly because those three will go with pretty much any clothing I wear, and will cover the range from casual to dress occasions.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Mostly because of you people.

](*,)

Yes! I blame you!

:mrgreen:

MB
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Dr.Seuss wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:Dr. Seuss:
Always wondered - the hat in your avatar - is this a hat you own? Great looking hat and a great photo of it. Oh and I assume that is not your "perfect" Indy hat...:wink: best Canada
Canada:

I confess, that is my hat. A theatrical number, best suited for wear "Through the Looking Glass," or in "A Christmas Carol." A. Canon once noted, a great hat to wear at a convention. Bit hard to miss.

My Indy hats: couple of Stetsons, couple of PBs, AB in the making, JPD in the works, and a Fed regular.

Sincerely,
Dr. Seuss.

I love the Christmas Carol story and I can see this hat fitting in perfectly. It really looks like a fine hat and yes wearing it to a convention or anywhere for that matter would mean that the people you are with will never lose you. For years I have had a Tilley Endurable Cotton hat - its the one you see in my Avatar. It is the hat that I have worn the most and it really is a great hat. Lightwieght, breaths, repells rain, packable and beautifully made. Oh, and you can wash it quite easily. I taught a summer course for many years in Oxford England and I would tour groups of students all over England. Many a student used my Tilley hat as a way of keeping track of me as I marched them through various sites.
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I see lots of people have looked at this post and I was just wondering if you are a late comer to this if you could just do the survey that would be helpful. Thanks so much.
Canada
obi-cpo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by obi-cpo »

Here's my contribution to the poll. I've followed an oft travelled path, from bad to pretty good to best, culminating in the discovery of the amazing Adventurebilt thanks to this wonderful site.

-1 wool felt Dorfman (currently in our Goodwill donation bag) :(
-1 Todd's HJ in the "Last Crusade" style :)
-1 Adventurebilt, classic "Raiders" style with the turn :D
-1 gray seaplane Adventurebilt on order :wink:

Michael
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Having only taken up the hobby this past summer, my collection is not as extensive as some but respectable for a newbie I think:

1 - AB KotCS (on order)
2 - Akubra Federation Deluxe, brown (sitting at Optimo)
3 - Stetson 8X, silver belly, circa 1970-75
4 - Dobbs Regency Snapbrim, fawn
5 - Bailey Wynn, stingey brim
6 - Stetson Outback (crushable wool)

Currently trying to aquire:
Royal Stetson Whippet
vintage Adam fedora
Resistol kitten-finish fedora

Just wore my Bailey last night to take the wife out for a long-overdue date night, and have been wearing my Dobbs today.
Regards, Andy
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

I own 13? fedoras and over half of them are brown or tan, none of them are true Indiana Jones hats. I have a Dobbs and an Adams that are pretty close. I have a Fed but it's gray and my Hoosier by Art, but it's chocolate brown and the ribbons silver.
Guess I'm waiting for AB's production hat.
Bob.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I have two Indy fedoras. My first is a Herbert Johnson Raiders, styled by Todd's Costumes and my second is a beaver AB.

I also have a gray AB on order, as well as a KotCS order placed with both Marc for a Deluxe AV and with Steve for another beaver AB.

My other hats include a straw Panama, a cotton Tilley T-2, two driving or gold style caps (one tan and one gray tweed), and a Tilley wool Winter Hat with ear flaps for those cold winter pre-dawn morning dog walks).

In one rarely used corner I keep a straw 1980's cowboy hat, a brown felt fedora style that got rained too many times while camping to be recognizable. The brim is very sloppy and floppy and the crown tapers severely. I also have a straw fedora with a Mickey Mouse printed hat band that I picked up one year at Disneyland.

I also have hats for other costumes like my Captain Jack Sparrow Tri-corner (worn in my Avatar) that was custom made and a Willy (Depp) Wonka top hat.

I would answer the poll, but it looks closed to me.

Regards,
MarkVII
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

airforceindy wrote:Having only taken up the hobby this past summer, my collection is not as extensive as some but respectable for a newbie I think:

1 - AB KotCS (on order)
2 - Akubra Federation Deluxe, brown (sitting at Optimo)
3 - Stetson 8X, silver belly, circa 1970-75
4 - Dobbs Regency Snapbrim, fawn
5 - Bailey Wynn, stingey brim
6 - Stetson Outback (crushable wool)

Currently trying to aquire:
Royal Stetson Whippet
vintage Adam fedora
Resistol kitten-finish fedora

Just wore my Bailey last night to take the wife out for a long-overdue date night, and have been wearing my Dobbs today.
Regards, Andy
Thanks Andy, and yes for a Newbie you are doing well. Welcome to the hobby by the way.

You said you just got into this hobby this past summer. What was it that got you interested in the Indy hat so recently?

best
Canada