about adding pecards

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

WhipMaster_Indy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

about adding pecards

Post by WhipMaster_Indy »

well i put some pecards on my whip and after bout 3-4 hours it soked it up pretty well it seems and is just tacky now so since it soaked it up sofast should i apply more?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

You should be fine. I believe the tacky feeling is from some of the pecards that didn't soak in (correct me if I'm wrong Michaelson :wink: ). You don't want to overdo the pecards on a whip, for fear of loosening the braiding. A good coat every 6 months or so should suffice... (again - this time for Sergei, if I'm wrong, please state so.)

You should check out posts in the bullwhip section, or the gear care & distressing section for tips. I believe you'll find info in them.

Mike
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

I usually give my whips a light coat of pecards every month or so to weatherproof them and give them a nice shine. The fall on the other hand should be pecarded after every time you use the whip. Not globs of the pecards but just a light coat. The fall takes the most abuse when the whip is cracked so it needs to be pecarded more frequently. well...there ya have it.
good luck with your whip! :wink:
Scott
WhipMaster_Indy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

thanks guys!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

My advice is to only use smalll amounts when you apply the Pecards. Six months is the general rule of thumb for the thong of the whip. If you live in a dry area, like the desert SouthWest of this country, you may have to do more. The fall will need dressing much more often. I apply Pecards on the Fall, right before and after whip cracking.

After applying the Pecards on the whip thong, and you still see left over conditioner after 24 hours, just wipe off the remaining excess. It's that simple.

Good luck.

-Sergei
p.s. Sorry I have been away. I have been at the WWAC convention all week this past week in Las Vegas. WWAC is the Wild West Arts Club. I am Lifetime Member #11, so I can't miss these things.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Sergei wrote: I am Lifetime Member #11, so I can't miss these things.
cool. 8)

Mike
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I was wondering where you wandered off to Sergei! I was starting to worry that you and _ were hanging around too much and that he had lured you into his "flight jacket" relm.
PBG
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

prettybigguy wrote:I was wondering where you wandered off to Sergei! I was starting to worry that you and _ were hanging around too much and that he had lured you into his "flight jacket" relm.
PBG
LOL! I was wondering how long people would notice. It's strange not being on a PC for almost 2 weeks. You know, it felt good to be away from a PC that long too. The old laptop can be quite a distraction when you are trying to get in some decent R&R. I was totally afraid of checking my email from work, in fear of getting dragged into something that would ruin my downtime.

Glad to back here. Looks like everyone is still behaving and I see some new members posting. That's great.

-Sergei
Whiper Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Whiper Jones »

Do we get any report of WWAC happening somewhere Sergei? :wink:
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Whiper Jones wrote:Do we get any report of WWAC happening somewhere Sergei? :wink:
Yeah, I have to collect myself. You know, dust off my clothes and my brain. I will be posting pictures. Although I did a real bad job this year of taking pictures.

I will be creating another thread on the highlights this year. However, the biggest thing that happened this year, was a new Guiness World Book record was broken unexpectedly. The number of Texas skips used to be held by Vince Bruce which was 4011 when he did it at the lobby of the Empire State building in 1993. Before that, Will Rogers held that record which was 1000 and 1000 was thought to be a totally unbeatable achievement.

Well this year, a 17 year old almost tripled Vince's record. He did 11,123 Texas Skips. Folks this was huge. It took him almost 3 hours. When he stopped, he passed out and we had to help him off of his feet and hydrate him. He was fine several hours later. Again, it was the most incredible thing I saw.

-Sergei
Last edited by Sergei on Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhipMaster_Indy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

the sun came out today and the grass got pretty dry except alittle moist and i just wanted to try out my new whip so i did for bout 2 hours and it got kinda wet will it ruin it or wreck it any? i appide percards the night befor....duh well its alot less still now and i kinda got carried away when cracking it on the cement :oops: hehe and it got alittle scratch up but not super bad so sofar it already got that used adveture look hehe
Frank Wolf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Frank Wolf »

Let the whip dry completely before applying any conditioner. Otherwise the conditioner will seal the moisture inside the whip.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Sergei wrote:The number of Texas skips used to be held by Vince Bruce which was 4011 when he did it at the lobby of the Empire State building in 1993.
For those who may be unfamiliar with the term "Texas Skip," how would you describe it?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Indiana Joe wrote:
Sergei wrote:The number of Texas skips used to be held by Vince Bruce which was 4011 when he did it at the lobby of the Empire State building in 1993.
For those who may be unfamiliar with the term "Texas Skip," how would you describe it?
Sorry IJ and at the risk of hijacking this thread even more, here is a picture of a performer doing the Texas Skip:

The Texas Skip is a Vertical Loop which is repeatedly pulled from one side of the body to the other and where, for each pass, the roper jumps through the center of the loop. Timing is the key to the Texas Skip. For the Texas Skip you pull the Vertical Loop from one side of the body to the other when your body won't get in the way of the spoke. Consequently, the jump is made while the spoke is in the front half of the Vertical Loop.

Believe me just forming the loop is hard enough and jumping through it once or twice is difficult, but to do it several hundred times in a competition is quite arduous, but 11,123 is just awesome.

-S