Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Special Offer Authentic Raiders

Post by GoneSolo »

Hey guys. I searched for topics pertaining to this jacket offering,

http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... n-70-p.asp

however, I did not find anything. Has this been spoken about? Are there any pros or cons compared to the normal jacket? According to the site, it is less durable.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Huh? Never heard of or saw that. Our experts need to weigh in on this one. Looks good though.....................
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

[EDIT colour correction]

Turns out my original pics of these were WAY off colourwise. And here's me telling AC about HIS monitor!

On placing one next to my authentic brown lamb I can get a much better appreciation of the colour. Now it is lightly lighter and slightly yellower is really is not very far off authentic brown... so here you go colour corrected images follow.

Last edited by Kt Templar on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

As always, KT is on the ball. My job blocks images that are hotlinked so I will take a look at them later. Thanks for the help sir.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Can anybody tell if that's got rect. sliders?

Looks good though... :-k

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Can anybody tell if that's got rect. sliders?
yup....and pretty long straps from what i can see. looks to be a very great OTR jacket IMO. well done wested.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The colour in the first 2 pictures is strange but I know how badly lamb reacts to cameras.
125 pounds though? Wow. If it only had the joke an inch higher I would have regretted ordering one this summer.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Great looking jacket, KT.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

ob1al wrote:Great looking jacket, KT.
Thanks AL, the jacket isn't mine. I took a few shots last time I was at the barn for reference. :).
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

So is the lack of leather inside facings and a heavy duty brass zip what makes this jacket less "streetwise"? How often and how fast are people zipping up and down? :)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I feel a little ripped off after buying basically the same thing for 165 pounds... I guess the early bird doesn't always get the worm... :(
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I wonder what exactly makes it more "delicate"? Looks to be constructed like every other Wested I've owned, in terms of the great quality. Is it just the lack of leather facings? I know a lining can wear out kinda quick without those.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

That's what it sounds like from the website description. It also says the body is "slimmer." I have no idea if that's a reflection of the leather construction or just the pattern. Never seen one in person.
From the pics it looks like a nice jacket.
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Modern Westeds are cut roomier to reflect that, in general, we're all a lot roomier these days... extra width in the chest, looser sleeves. The "slimmer" version has a tighter fit around the chest, slimmer sleeves, narrower arm holes... the so-called "80's fit" coveted for it's screen accuracy.

So yeah, it's a different pattern than their standard off-the-rack Raiders jackets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's sort of the old 'feast or famine' situation. Folks WANT the SA jacket in their closet, but do not have the body to match Ford's body shape in 1981. :lol:

I've read as many 'complaint' posts by folks who DID purchase the tapered 'SA' Wested jackets that didn't fit because THEY were larger in areas that the jacket couldn't cover, so they faulted the jacket design. I have read those same number of posts by folks who have jackets that are the larger cut models that fit, but aren't satisfied that theirs is not 'SA' due to the fact they're not the '80's fit' versions.

So, which is it? Do you want SA and look rediculous trying to squeeze into something not made to fit you, or go larger and sacrifice the perceived screen accuracy?

Tough choice, but I'm sure the right decision will be made. Just use common sense. You'll be happier, and I KNOW Peter will be too. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

I bought my HH in the slim fit pattern, but for me that was best, because I am a rather slender fellow.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Yeah, if I could get away with it (read; 35 lbs lighter), I'd go for the 80's fit. It just looks better IMO. But that's not happening. Best to be honest with yourself when you're shopping for a $300+ jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Chewbacca Jones wrote: Best to be honest with yourself when you're shopping for a $300+ jacket.

Amen to that! :D

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

OR...you can buy the 80's cut as an incentive to start working out to lose the weight to fit into it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep....but in my case, I choose the lazy man's path.... 8) :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

It may be the pictures, but the stitching looks terrible. Not straight or tight-looking at all... Most noticable in the first 2 pictures. Look at the second pictures storm flap stitching. It is all over the place. :?
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Indiana Johnson wrote:I bought my HH in the slim fit pattern, but for me that was best, because I am a rather slender fellow.
Being rather skinny myself,one of these jackets could work well for me. Hey Indy Johnson! How do you feel about the "durablity" on yours?? Is it really all that "delicate"?? raider 57
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

rick5150 wrote:It may be the pictures, but the stitching looks terrible. Not straight or tight-looking at all... Most noticable in the first 2 pictures. Look at the second pictures storm flap stitching. It is all over the place. :?
In my experience stitching problems and inaccuracies are common with Westeds. One of the sleeves on my Wested custom lambskins is 1/2 " shorter than the other. Overall, though, I was satisfied with the construction of the 3 jackets I owned.

The main problem I've had has been customer service and communication. You might experience problems even getting through to Wested to place your initial order. And if your order has problems and you need to return it, you may face additional hassles, delays and expense trying to get the problem resolved.

To be blunt, it seems to me as though Wested could easily improve these customer service problems, but for some reason they just won't. Perhaps their almost mythical status as a sacred COW has something to do with it.

Until the situation improves, in my opinion it might be a good idea to wait until the Indy 4 jacket is made available, since reportedly it will be very well made and also made in the U.S.A., which, in my case anyway, reduces shipping expenses.

Jack
Last edited by eazybox on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

To be blunt, it seems to me as though Wested could easily improve these customer service problems, but for some reason they just won't.
I've been saying this for years and years. Nobody can quite figure out why they just refuse to address it. They can save so much money and time as well as the customers money and time. It would be so simple to just check the orders against the order sheet before they're shipped.

Peter...O'Peter, why won't you understand? :wink:
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

This is kinda awesome, might I assume that this jacket would have more of the fit of a motorcycle jacket (in terms of more tight fitting)? If this is true I might have to jump on this I'd like to know the specific measurements of it though so I make sure I got the right size.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I just picked up one of these: http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... n-75-p.asp

It came today, I ordered it about a week ago. This is the fastest shipping I have ever seen from Wested. Granted this is an off the rack jacket I am still surprised. I really like the hide, it is something different from my other Westeds. I would recommend picking one up if you are looking for a different look on an Indy jacket.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

To KT Templar and Bogie1943, is it really a different hide than what is normally offered? I'm a little confused, since Wested's site claims the jacket is made from Authentic Lamb, but is this a different leather (albeit same color) altogether?
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

My special offer Raiders is made of the "crunch lambskin". It's a bit lighter in color than the regular authentic lamb and has a slight pre-distressed look to it. Right now Wested has two different "Special Offer Jackets". The crunch lambskin and the authentic lambskin.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

So, is the absence of leather facings what makes this version more "delicate?"
I swear I had read a post from someone saying the leather was actually thinner, but that seems to be gone.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Arca Perdida wrote:So, is the absence of leather facings what makes this version more "delicate?"
I swear I had read a post from someone saying the leather was actually thinner, but that seems to be gone.
Yes, I think one of the earlier posts was removed for some reason. Wish I could help, but I've only seen photos of this jacket.

Jack
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks for the heads up Gonesolo!,I've just ordered one now..fingers crossed they as nice as they look in the pics :D
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Both jackets a somewhat lighter in weight than the regular in lambskin.

I think this is part of Peter wanting to offer more affordable non custom jackets, and, add a bit of variety to the leather types.

The Crunch is slightly lighter and the Authentic Brown noticeably lighter in weight than regular lamb. At least that how it appeared to me on picking them up.

In this batch the Crunch has facings but the Authentic does not. Also the facings mean that the end of the zipper on the crunch is slightly further away from the bottom of the jacket than the Authentic.

The Crunch has the larger facings on the pocket whereas the Authentic brown has the narrow piping.

I believe both jackets have back elastic installed.

Thumbnails follow:

Image Image Image Image Image
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Is the crunch lambskin the same leather as the predist. lamb jackets that some folks picked up some months ago? And are these also 80s fit?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

moses wrote:Is the crunch lambskin the same leather as the predist. lamb jackets that some folks picked up some months ago? And are these also 80s fit?
Yes, it is the slimmer fit.

Afaik this leather is different to the other "worn look lamb".
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Are these actually made by Wested in England, or are they subbed out?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's my understanding they're subbed out, Rick, as none of these I've seen has had the tag 'made by British Craftsmen' installed so prominently in sight as they do in the custom Wested jackets.

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:It's my understanding they're subbed out, Rick, as none of these I've seen has had the tag 'made by British Craftsmen' installed so prominently in sight as they do in the custom Wested jackets.

Regards! Michaelson
Well that, and KT's explanation makes me feel much better ;)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's the main reason why they are so much cheaper.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, good! :D

Personally, I need another cup of coffee and two asperin myself. My head's pounding at the moment. :( :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Michaelson wrote: Personally, I need another cup of coffee and two asperin myself. My head's pounding at the moment. :( :wink:
Maybe if you'd stop doing this ](*,) so often, that would cut down on the headaches. :lol: :wink: I think it's a good looking jacket, perfect for the average fan who just wants a jacket, but isn't nearly as tweaky as a lot of us around here.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

What struck me in KT's latest pictures is that the arm seams are actually higher than the yoke. I thought it was standard with Wested that they even them out, while the SA Raiders look is actually with a higher yoke.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Personally, I think that as a lower priced alternative, regardless of a few inaccuracies, that Peter has done a fantastic job on this one!

Kudos Peter!
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

I'd be interested to hear PLATON's take on this jacket. As well as agent5's. They are the biggest sticklers for screen accuracy that i know.

It looks pretty good to me.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Bogie1943 wrote:My special offer Raiders is made of the "crunch lambskin". It's a bit lighter in color than the regular authentic lamb and has a slight pre-distressed look to it. Right now Wested has two different "Special Offer Jackets". The crunch lambskin and the authentic lambskin.
Would you post some pics?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I meant pics of him wearing his jacket
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I was under the impression that this "crunch" lambskin was a different hide to the previously posted "worn-look"lambskin. Am I mistaken?
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Recieved my jacket on friday-2 days delivery!- :D.It came with d-rings(which I have swapped for a spare set of sliders),shoulder pads(which I have removed) and an extra inside pocket with zip(which I've taken out to improve the drape),also the sleeves were 2 inches too long(at this moment being altered for me).A LOT of work and though I've saved £50(£30 after having the sleeves done) I wouldn't buy another OTR jacket.Overall though I'm happy with the qaulity,it's a nice Raiders jacket..no dodgy stitching(I'm loving the nickel zip),plus after wearing horsehide and goat,lamb is(in KT's word :wink: )luxury!
rigor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rigor »

Can anyone supply measurements from a size 44 Special Offer Raiders? I could use the length across the yoke, chest size with pleats closed, heck better get the waist/bottom edge measurement too, and especially sleeve length.

Quasimodo must have been a relative of mine. I need a big yoke, but that means I'm swimming with room in the chest if the jacket has the current pattern.

Going to the slimmer 80s pattern on a jacket with a big yoke (that is, I'll go to the next bigger size) could solve all my problems! (I was griping about my frame in my bespoke post: viewtopic.php?t=24245.) Funny to think I might get a better fit from an OTP jacket than a custom one!

Does anyone know if Wested jackets used the 80s pattern back in 1999?