What's the point of taper in a hat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What's the point of taper in a hat?

Post by Nevada Jones »

Okay, here's the deal. I have an AB with a Raider's pinch in it. This hat is not supposed to have a taper and at least to my eye it does not.

I now have a AB TOD bridge scene hat on order and I believe this hat IS suppose to have taper but will have a shorter overall crown when it arrives.

My question is: What is the point of having a hat taper? Is it a visual thing? Will it make my head look bigger, or smaller?

I ask because I have a freakishly large head as it is (7 3/4), and if the taper ADDS to the overall look of my head then I'll ask Steve to not include the taper when he gets to my order.

Thanks!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Taper is the original shape of the hat body and some people wish to keep it that way instead of stretching it to have stovepipe sides.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

What affect though does taper produce?

Will it make a long face appear shorter and therefore more in proportion, or will it make a long face appear longer and out of proportion?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Nevada, crown shapes and bashes look different on different folks. When it comes right down to it, there's no advantage of a straight crown over a tapered crown. It also depends on the block shape, since most blocks have a certain degree of taper built in. The biggest reason tapered hats are so unfavorably looked upon here is that the original Raiders hat was a straight-crowned hat, and most everyone here wants their hats to emulate that particular fedora, so folks get a bit overboard in their reactions to taper now and then.

If you wear glasses, choosing a hat is a lot like choosing a good pair of frames. You try on glasses that may be too squarish, too round, too pointy, etc., but you eventually settle on a pair that compliments the shape of your face and looks good on you. In this regard, a hat is no different. Some folks look better with a taller crown, others with a wider or shorter brim, and some look perfect with a tapered crown.

A good example, while hanging out with Curator Rick at the Finger Lakes Summit, he favored an old Miller (if I recall) which was quite tapered. And it looked perfect on him. He tried on my AB and the straight crown didn't suit him as well. Then we figured it was the height of the crown, and that a shorter, straight-sided crown might work pretty well.

I believe one should look good in his or her hat, and that it should look natural on the wearer's head. There are others here who prefer an Indy-styled hat which looks good for them. If it means wearing a tapered hat, then there's nothing wrong with that. :wink:
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks Bink. What is the relative crown height on the Raider's AB vs. TOD AB anyway?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Nevada Jones wrote:Thanks Bink. What is the relative crown height on the Raider's AB vs. TOD AB anyway?
I'm not so sure there is one, per sae, though I'd ask Steve or Marc on that one. With the AB hats, they aim to tailor a hat that suits you best, so if it means altering the crown height, they'll do so.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Nevada, the best thing to do is contact Steve. Send him photos of your head/face/shoulders from the side and the front. Tell him you want a ToD style, BUT modified to capture the look and be right on you, and to use his judgement about taper. He'll know what to do. He's very good at that.

Bink - I believe CR's trusty lid is a fur felt Dorfman. Best dang Dorfman I've ever seen, too. Almost makes me want to buy one!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Chewey, did you ever see ITG's Dorfman that PB reblocked for her several years ago?

If they were all like hers, I'm with you on that one. Nicest looking hat I'd seen in a long time.

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Well, I posted here so I wouldn't need to pester Steve since by all accounts he's slammed with work. Didn't want to be one of those guys if you know what I mean....

Thanks though, I'll give it some thought.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks Bink. What is the relative crown height on the Raider's AB vs. TOD AB anyway?
The relative height of the Raiders is 5 1/2 open crown, the TOD is 5 1/4 open crown. But it can also depend of the scene from from TOD and even TLC as Stetsons were placed in those films that I don't think matched the the HJs used in the same films. Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Bink - I believe CR's trusty lid is a fur felt Dorfman. Best dang Dorfman I've ever seen, too. Almost makes me want to buy one!
I think he does own a Miller, though. I can't remember if the hat in question was a DP or a Miller. Maybe he'll pipe up. Still, he's got a couple "lesser" fur felt Indy hats on his hat tree. Regardless, it's a great hat! Here are a couple shots of CR in his hat:

Last edited by binkmeisterRick on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Nevada Jones wrote:Well, I posted here so I wouldn't need to pester Steve since by all accounts he's slammed with work. Didn't want to be one of those guys if you know what I mean....

Thanks though, I'll give it some thought.
Nah - he lives for this kind of question :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:I think he does own a Miller, though. I can't remember if the hat in question was a DP or a Miller.
I know this much; if he has a Miller, that's not it. I had a Miller not long ago. I would be knocked silly if that's a Miller. #-o
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

VP wrote:Image
That head has a lot of taper, VP. Very ToD! :lol:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Pic originally posted by Hemingway Jones at http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=144152#144152, hat added by me.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
We are all agreed that most ToD hats have some moderate taper in the crown. The hat Harrison wears in the middle of that suspension bridge does NOT have any taper. Shorter in the crown? Relaxed pinch? Yes, but NOOOO taper!
Best of all, this look can be achieved with anything from a regular Fed to an AB Dlx! It's an easy, low-maintenance and decidedly HARDCORE hat! :wink: