ECWhips or Stenhouse?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Repairman Jack
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

ECWhips or Stenhouse?

Post by Repairman Jack »

Hi, all (1st post, *longtime* lurker)
I'd like to pick up a bullwhip, and as a collegebound high-school student, I'm a really tight budget. I had made up my mind to buy a Stenhouse (8 foot), but when I tried to contact him, I found out he's taking a sabatical until the end of August.

So...

ECWhips is the only other option inside my very limited price range, but I was browsing the old forum posts and found a couple rather strong critiques of Jim's work. I really hate to stir the pot like this (especially on my 1st post!), but I gots to know... Should I wait until the end of August to get a Stenhouse, or is ECWhips just as good?

Thanks,
RJ
brady
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by brady »

Check out Bernie (EM Brand Whips) he's got a good price and is a very respected Australian whipmaker.
WhipMaster_Indy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhipMaster_Indy »

i own a bernie and i am inlove with it just got it today in the mail :D
Raider1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Raider1138 »

I just recently purchased a 10 foot Indy style whip from Paul Stenhouse and I can back up other comments that his whips are top notch. If you'd like to see some pics of the whip then go to http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbailey1138/ ... ph&.view=t There are only 3 pictures of the whip that were taken with a cheap disposable camera, but they may help out a bit. He also just recently began offering a video entitled Whip Handling and Maintenance that I recommend buying to go along with your whip. It covers various cracks with different whips along with whip maintenance and even how to make your own poppers. Paul learned the trade from David Morgan so you know he has a good background and based on the way he handles a whip he knows what he is doing. I think the quality of one of Paul's whips would be worth your wait. Paul is also super nice and can make the whip in any style you want( shape of the butt, handle length, weighting etc.). He has been a pleasure to do business with and I highly recommend him.
Hope this helps,
Tim
Indydawg

Ummm....

Post by Indydawg »

I will save you a whole lot of trouble...

Get the Stenhouse.
Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Ummm....

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:I will save you a whole lot of trouble...

Get the Stenhouse.
Later!
Indydawg
I cannot comment on EC whips since I've not handled one but I've cracked the Stenhouse with Indydawg. I really liked it and you will too. Trust me. 8)

I.J.