Someone that has an original hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Someone that has an original hat

Post by Rundquist »

I don't normally read "In Style" magazine, but recently I was waiting at my parent's house and I thumbed through this one. The question asked was, "C'mon tell us. What's the one thing in your closet that you would never toss?". Do you think that Harrison's maybe attached to the Indy character? He's at the very least attached to the hat. Cheers

Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I wouldn't either!!
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

Same here.
I still have my grandfather's fedora from the 40's.
Too small for me though.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Ah, it doesh the heart good to know that. :D
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Come on... you know when he's out on his ranch he puts it on and hums the Raider march. I would bet the house he's on his horse right now doing some stunts for the next flick as we speak.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

I wonder which hat it is? I suspect an LC but wouldn't it be awesome if he still had an original ROTLA?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Renderking,

When I was first scrolling down and saw your post, I thought you'd be saying you would try to talk him into a Fed! :wink:

I wonder if he considers his Indy hat the best hat he's owned in twenty years?! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Mike
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

"I still have the hat from Indiana Jones and I'll never get rid of it."

As a fellow Herbert Johnson owner, I can't say I blame the man. ;-) Go Harrison! You are Indiana Jones!!!

-Dale
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Chamorro wrote:I wonder which hat it is? I suspect an LC but wouldn't it be awesome if he still had an original ROTLA?
I can't think of why he wouldn't have the original Raiders hat. It probably has the most sentimental value, not to mention that the Smithsonian has one of the LC's. Ridley Scot said that when Harrison took the meetings for Blade Runner he would show up wearing the hat.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Didn't know that. That's classic. He should wear it more often.
Indiana*Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana*Jones »

Harrison is the man and Raiders is the hat :lol: !!!!

Regards,
Indiana*Jones
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

It would be interesting if a bunch of us showed up at his place with digitial cameras, measuring instruments, felt samples, etc etc and asked him if we could see his fedora..... nothing about interviewing him, or his movies, just the lid. Ha! :lol:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Mike wrote:Renderking,

When I was first scrolling down and saw your post, I thought you'd be saying you would try to talk him into a Fed! :wink:
Get me his E-Mail... and I just might do that!
I wonder if he considers his Indy hat the best hat he's owned in twenty years?! :lol:

Wouldn't be supprised!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Rundquist wrote:Ridley Scot said that when Harrison took the meetings for Blade Runner he would show up wearing the hat.
Rundquist,

I may be faulty in my memory, but I thought the story was that Ridley wanted Harrison to wear a fedora in Blade Runner, but he met with him on the set of Raiders to discuss the Deckard role, decided to nix the idea... that's why they went with the crew cut.

Atleast that's Ridley's version, if memory serves, from an interview I saw once.

Mike
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Mike wrote:Renderking,

LOL!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

I find this quite amusing myself

Post by Michaelson »

Ford has been asked this question for years, and is on record humming and hawing, and saying 'I think there's one tossed in the back of a closet shelf somewhere. I'm not sure.' Now he's asked, and it's 'Absolutely, sure, wouldn't you?!' Wonder what changed? (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

From what I recall, the hair cut was HF's idea and had it done without prior notice.

D6
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

The guy I got my latest HJ from, which was meant for Last Crusade, but never picked up by Lucasfilms, told me he has two of the Poets circa Raiders. I've been emailing hom, trying to gets some pics of those hats, but so far, to no avail. He did say the felt was darker and the crown higher, but that's about it. His answer to Harry's question is definately no.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Mike wrote:
Rundquist wrote:Ridley Scot said that when Harrison took the meetings for Blade Runner he would show up wearing the hat.
Rundquist,

I may be faulty in my memory, but I thought the story was that Ridley wanted Harrison to wear a fedora in Blade Runner, but he met with him on the set of Raiders to discuss the Deckard role, decided to nix the idea... that's why they went with the crew cut.

Atleast that's Ridley's version, if memory serves, from an interview I saw once.

Mike
That's true. The two stories don't cancel each other out. Scot says specifically that Ford showed up for meetings "Wearing the bloody hat". He was cast for BR at the end of filming Raiders. The producers and Ridley decided that they wanted no association of the Indy character with the Deckard character. Cheers
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the HJ poet from raiders

Post by havershaw »

regarding the fellow with the Raiders-era Poet: Dakota, I've been to that fellow's house and I have a decent digital camera. If you can arrange it, I'd be happy to go down there and take some photos of the hat and some measurements. The only hat I have to compare it to is my Fed Deluxe, which could possibly be helpful...
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

Interesting that Deckard's supervisor Bryant is seen wearing a brown
fedora. I guess some things don't change in future L.A.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

regarding the fellow with the Raiders-era Poet: Dakota, I've been to that fellow's house and I have a decent digital camera. If you can arrange it, I'd be happy to go down there and take some photos of the hat and some measurements. The only hat I have to compare it to is my Fed Deluxe, which could possibly be helpful...
Thanks for the offer, Havershaw. I'll e-mail him about this.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Rundquist wrote:That's true. The two stories don't cancel each other out.
Well, it's good to know that the ol' synapses are still firing. :wink:

Mike
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I would not doubt that Ford has an entire set of Gear left over from one of the films.
Gabriel Garza
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Gabriel Garza »

Indiana Josh said:
I would not doubt that Ford has an entire set of Gear left over from one of the films.
I remember reading once that after the shooting of Sabrina (1995) starring Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, his co-star, said he knew who the real star was when he saw a trunk full of clothes from the movie and the trunk was labeled "Mr. Harrison Ford". It contained all of the attire HF had used during the filming of the movie. It probably included the Homburg hat he used in the movie also.

So I am sure that after filming the Indiana Jones series he was given much of the gear he used while filming those movies. It may be in his contract to do so. He may have several hats, including the grey ones and the different styles.

Just thought I'd share.

Gabe
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I seem to recall reading many years ago that the "cairo hat" was stolen some time after the completion of principal filming..........anyone have any info on that?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I stole it. Sorry guys, but I just couldn't help myself! I mean, I told Harrison that I just wanted to borrow it for awhile, but he wouldn't listen! To be honest, he was really ego tripping about the whole Indiana Jones thing, and I was tired of hearing it, so I just took the hat from his closet one day when he was out of the country, filming Return of the Jedi in England.

Okay, so now that everybody knows the truth about why my HJ looks so authentic, can you keep it a secret? I think Harrison has forgotten about the whole incident, and I'd hate for him to press charges if he ever found out.

LOL

-Dale
Last edited by whipwarrior on Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Whipwarrior, you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!! Now march on over to HF's house and give him his hat back :D
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Nothing doing. :-)
TheOther Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheOther Jones »

The Cairo hat was stolen? Then it must have been the Japanese who swiped it, because the hat for Toys McCoy Indy is obviously a copy of the Cairo fedora.
It becomes elementary now that Dale is Japanese :lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

LOL :D

*shakes head*
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

When you DO march on over there to return it, snag something else.
Also, maybe we should show up at your place with the measuring tape and felt samples...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Mystique wrote:Interesting that Deckard's supervisor Bryant is seen wearing a brown
fedora. I guess some things don't change in future L.A.
Byrant was most likely a Gearhead... Perhaps even Michaelson's clone? Hey, this was set in 2019, wasn't it? :P

What I want to know though is if HF still has that famous black vest from a certain other trilogy still sitting in his closet... ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Clone? Heaven forbid! :shock: :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

What I want to know though is if HF still has that famous black vest from a certain other trilogy still sitting in his closet... ;)[/quote]

I would like to think he does as well! Star Wars put Ford on the map IMHO. Hey, he could wear the Hat and vest and become...HANSOLOJONES :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nah. WE'VE already GOT one of them. =; :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

I recently came across one of those brief clips in a magazine in a shop somewhere. It was a full length of Ford and the question was along the lines of how he felt about becoming Indiana Jones again after so many years. His response was close to, 'I don't think the pants will fit, but I know the hat will'.