Since the "cat's" outta the bag...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Fedora, I take it the fedora on www.indianajones.com 's main page on top of the crate w/whip, is an AB? :wink:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Fedora, I take it the fedora on www.indianajones.com 's main page on top of the crate w/whip, is an AB?
Indeed!! And the costumer was upset that they dented in the top of the hat on the right side as we see it. So, I say, well, I think it looks great! Looks like he just pulled it off his head, and it looks natural. I think this made him feel better about the top crease not being perfect. Fedora
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Quote:
Fedora, I take it the fedora on www.indianajones.com 's main page on top of the crate w/whip, is an AB?

Indeed!!
100% certain??? - Even I couldn't tell :lol:

Just messing with ya' my friend.

Regards,

Marc[/quote]
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

I think it's awesome that something inspired by the real thing is better than the real thing currently. In your face Herbert Johnson. Go AB!

Must be a good feeling to know you're doing it right, Fed. Congrats.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

What I'm curious about is what sort of leather was used on the Indy IV AB's sweatband? My bet's on the 'roo hide ;)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You must make a deal with Satan for your soul if you want to know now, or you can just wait till the movie comes out when everyone and their mother get's the okay to speak about it. :lol:

Jk.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:What I'm curious about is what sort of leather was used on the Indy IV AB's sweatband? My bet's on the 'roo hide ;)
You can wonder all you like, but remember, the specs of this hat won't be mentioned until May 2008. :wink:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

100% certain??? - Even I couldn't tell
Oh, I was told this was the really soft hat that I had made(remember I had to make 2 Marc, and these were my hats, but I put your sweats in them) So, it is an international hat. LOL. But really, if I would not have told that from the costumer, I would not be able to tell. Once Marc made his hats, he sent them to me to make sure they were clones with mine, and this even involved adjusting the colors so they appeared to be the same. One eye had to do the adjusting and tweaking, and since I was closer to LA, it logically had to be me, for the time restraints involved. Fedora
Last edited by Fedora on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Soooo when is the main site gonna be updated to reflect the AB???
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

What I'm curious about is what sort of leather was used on the Indy IV AB's sweatband? My bet's on the 'roo hide
We used both my sweats and Marc's roo hide sweats. And both felts. We mixed them up. So some of his hats have my sweats, and some of my hats have his sweats. For a particular reason that will be transparent once you guys see the film. Nuff said on that point. :wink: :lol: Fedora
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Fedoraman wrote:Soooo when is the main site gonna be updated to reflect the AB???
The re-write of the main page is underway. However, don't expect the AB info out there for Indy IV probably for while. Maybe even not until the movie is released.
jeff
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jeff »

Fedora wrote:For a particular reason that will be transparent once you guys see the film. Nuff said on that point. :wink: :lol: Fedora
Oh dear... you're gonna keep us in suspense till May! The mystery, the intrigue! ;) :D
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

mufflowne wrote:I think it's awesome that something inspired by the real thing is better than the real thing currently. In your face Herbert Johnson. Go AB!

Must be a good feeling to know you're doing it right, Fed. Congrats.
I agree entirely. Eat this Herbie ! Grrrrrrrr....... ;)
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

Was a regular AB liner used?

I wonder....
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

We can tell you but then we'd have to send you to Abu Ghraib until the movie comes out so we don't spoil anything. :lol:
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

agent5 wrote:We can tell you but then we'd have to send you to Abu Ghraib until the movie comes out so we don't spoil anything. :lol:
:shock:
I want to know nothing!
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

So when are you and Marc writing the book on the making of the Indy IV fedora, Steve? :D
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

Neolithic wrote:So when are you and Marc writing the book on the making of the Indy IV fedora, Steve? :D
ooooo...or better yet a movie on the making of the making of the fedora :lol: I'd pay to pick me up some of them biscuts :D
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I was actually contacted by both a German radio station and a film team yesterday... unbelievable really.

Regards,

Marc
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Marc wrote:I was actually contacted by both a German radio station and a film team yesterday... unbelievable really.

Regards,

Marc
I don't think that's so surprising at all actually. It's pretty big time what you've done- even more so considering we're fans. It makes it so much more special than waltzing into a shop in London 25 years ago. It's a story non-Indy fans will like to hear. I tell it to friends all the time and they think it's pretty cool and they don't even like Indiana Jones all that much.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

So when are you and Marc writing the book on the making of the Indy IV fedora, Steve?
:lol: No book, but if things go as planned you will read about some of it in a well known men's mag, and of course in the press releases from the Indy 4 production when the big one finally comes out. I am to be flown out west here soon to meet with the folks and do the interview for the press release later on. I don't guess that needs to be a big secret. They thought the story of how we came to be, was an interesting one to tell and would make good print. But nothing happens with the other interviews until AFTER the official interview is done out west. Gotta play by their rules. And my bags are packed. If they tell me to look for a sign with my name on it at the departure point in LA, I will just tell them to look for the guy with the brown fedora. LOL. Yep, I don't go anywhere without my hat!! :lol: Fedora
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Fedora wrote:Yep, I don't go anywhere without my hat!! :lol: Fedora
You say that as if you didn't expect us to think you did otherwise... heck, I still think you wear your fedora to bed! :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I don't think he has a top part to his skull, MJ. It's felt on the brain. :lol: :wink:
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Dont forget your shades 8) Mr. Hollywood :wink: :wink: ! To Cool !
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Old Fedora is like an old cowboy and his hat. It's the last thing off at night, and the first thing on in the morning. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Dont forget your shades
Never! I got me a pair of WW2 era aviator glasses, Ray Bans, complete with the real leather case they USE to put these glasses in instead of the plastic junk they use nowadays. What a find by the way, on ebay a few years ago. They were hid in a drawer for over 50 years, and looked as new as the day that they were made. :D I got them for almost nothing too. :D Fedora
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Fedora wrote:
So when are you and Marc writing the book on the making of the Indy IV fedora, Steve?
No book, but if things go as planned you will read about some of it in a well known men's mag, and of course in the press releases from the Indy 4 production when the big one finally comes out. Fedora
I'm glad the whole story will be down in writing in some magazine. It will be a collectors item along with your hats.

fedoralover
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

And my bags are packed. If they tell me to look for a sign with my name on it at the departure point in LA, I will just tell them to look for the guy with the brown fedora. LOL. Yep, I don't go anywhere without my hat!! :lol: Fedora
So... will it be MR Fedora from now on? :lol:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

The main page of Indianajones.com is a picture of an AB. :!: :shock: :!:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

So... will it be MR Fedora from now on?
Yeah, us old guys are callled "Mr." more often than the spring chickens. :lol: I knew that I was getting older when I was referred to as Mister by one of my kid's friends. It was a shock really. "Mr." is what I ALWAYS called old men in my younger days.
The main page of Indianajones.com is a picture of an AB.

Really strange seeing it on that background, and of course on the poster that was for sale at the Comic Com since they are one and the same. The costumer was rather upset that they had basehd in the top of the hat, on the right side as viewed. Not a perfect style job as he had intended. When he told me this, I said, "well, I think it looks great. Looks like Indy just pulled it off his head, with the imperfections that come from wearing a hat." I don't know if that helped, but he was amiss that the hat was pushed in at the wrong place. I on the other hand, was shocked that they had already photographed the hat for a poster. I won't be able to tell the hats apart in the film, but I know that is one that I made. There is one more that was sent that I will be able to tell was Marc's hat, because I did not tweak the bow that he had sent. I was working against the clock, and had 20 minutes to get to Fed Ex to overnight the last shipment of hats. So, I saw it, did not have the time to make the middle cinch wider, and sent it anyways. I will certainly be able to spot it in the film, if the hat is shown from the bow side. Now, I could have left Marc's bows "as is" because they were very close to my own, but the costumer was demanding "clones" and that included the bows. I was afraid he would see the difference in our bows, and of course felt that I had to tweak them. In the end, this attention to detail was noticed, and I am glad that I did it. The bad part is Marc and I won't be able to tell who made, which hat by and large. And for personal reasons, it would be nice to know that he had Marc's hat on when he did such and such, and had mine on when he did something else. We will be able to guess, but a guess is all that it would really be. Fullers Earth really covers up alot. That is, unless we can spot that one hat that I know was Marc's. It will be fun to try and find it, and I hope we do. Then we can both say, we knew without a doubt the poster hat was mine, and the such and such hat was his. That would be nice for the both of us. Fedora
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

You really should write a book ! Maybe a "journal" :wink: . I am sure you answered this but I woke up with Headache and don't feel like "searching". Did you make a gray hat for the new film, or can you say ?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You really should write a book ! Maybe a "journal" . I am sure you answered this but I woke up with Headache and don't feel like "searching". Did you make a gray hat for the new film, or can you say ?
This will make for a real interesting story later on, so let's save it for another time. Regards, Fedora
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Hey, waitaminute.... isn't it animal cruelty to keep a cat in a bag for such a long period of time?! I think Fedora and Marc should be banned for that very reason...

:lol: :roll:

-Daryl
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Kentucky Blues wrote:
Hey, waitaminute.... isn't it animal cruelty to keep a cat in a bag for such a long period of time?! I think Fedora and Marc should be banned for that very reason...
:lol: :roll:

-Daryl
It was just a simple misspelling...he meant to say "since the Hat's outta the bag..."

If there's a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hats (and these days there probably is) they might take issue, but I think all of us cat lovers can relax. :wink:

Jack
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Fedora wrote:
So... will it be MR Fedora from now on?
Yeah, us old guys are callled "Mr." more often than the spring chickens. :lol: I knew that I was getting older when I was referred to as Mister by one of my kid's friends. It was a shock really. "Mr." is what I ALWAYS called old men in my younger days.
I really meant MR. as being important, as you arent much older than me! :lol:

What really got me was the first time the checkout girl at Wal-Mart said ..Thank you SIR!

What going to be great is when the film comes out we can say
"I have a sweet hat made by the same guy that made Indys new hat"

Truly.. it dont get no better than that.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Outstanding! Well deserved! Bold with a smooth finish. (Sounds a bit like a wine review.)

From this moment, forward, IMHO, it shall be "Messrs. AB."

Sincerely,