Alden Fit

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Alden Fit

Post by feathers73 »

I have a pair of 405's I've had for awhile. I normally wear a 11 1/2 D but got an 11 D. They seem long enough and wide enough but the left boot always seems like it is putting pressure on the underside of my left foot. I don't know if it is the shoe insert or what. Has anyone had experience with this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Where do you feel the pressure? Is it where the boot's heel ends? On the ball of your foot?

I feel a little pressure where the boot's heel ends, and I just deal with it. I think it has to do with the fact that the heel and the front of the boot are not even - the heel goes down lower, causing the boot to "lean" forward a little bit.

In Christ,
Shane
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

The pressure I feel is on the left side of the ball of my foot and on the side of the foot. It feels like something is pressing up on the left side of my foot. Since these shoes are orthopedic I was thinking maybe it's my foot and the shoe is giving me support correctly and I'm not use to it. I could try an 11 1/2 if I wanted to buy a new boot but I've always been told they run a half size small so I'm trying to make this one work.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I don't suppose, that just maybe, you had them professionaly fitted, did you? (Considering they are orthopedically fitted shoes.)

You might want to take them to someone who actually sells them and ask for advice.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They do NOT run half size off. It's not a guessing game when it comes to Alden boots, and never HAS been.

You have the wrong size, plain and simple, and are feeling pressure from the orthopedic platform that's located under the wrong part of your foot.

Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

It could be that your shoes aren't wide enough. I normally buy a shoe size of 10D, but, for my 405's, I had my feet professionally measure and was informed that the size I needed was 9&1/2 EE. The reason that Fritz (the gentleman that measured my feet) gave me was that every time you take a step your foot needs a little room to "spread out" (try to ignore the Three Stooges reference).
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Don't mean to hijack...

Do you think in my case I'm okay? I can feel where the heel ends on my shoe - and it's not painful or anything, but sometimes it just bothers me that it doesn't feel like a glove.

And then my right foot is a little smaller than my left one, so I have a little more room in that one, and that's why the tongue slides all over.

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

IndyMcFly wrote:Do you think in my case I'm okay? ...
That's a loaded question to ask around scoundrels. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:-

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

#-o :roll: Kill me now...

In Christ,
Shane
Last edited by McFly on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

I was just curious if you had tried to contact Alden themselves to get thier opinion? I am not a shoe expert but i would agree with michaelson...sounds like you just got the wrong size.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm sure if you contacted Alden and told them you ordered a different size shoe than you usually wear, they'd probably tell you you should've ordered your usual size in the first place. Then they'll ask if you got measured for them. I have two pair of Alden shoes (the 405 and 502 boots) and got professionally measured for both pairs. Never had a problem.
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

I called the DC store today. I'm going to be in DC next week. I'm going to go by the store and have Kathleen check em out. She tells me they can relast the boot one half size larger. Has anyone ever done that?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Nope (for reasons I just stated :wink: ) but Kathleen is very nice and helpful. That's where I got my 502's. In fact, you might ask her to measure your feet while you're there. No better place to get measured for Aldens than at an Alden shop!

EDIT: If you're going into DC via the Metro, they're a block off the Red Line at the Farragut North stop.
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

I stopped off at Alden's in DC today and dropped off my boots. They said they would have them converted to 11 1/2 at the factory and ship them back to my house. Sure hope it works. It is being done free of charge. Can't beat that.
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

kool...let us know how it turns out
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Cool that they're doing it for free! Did you work with Kathleen when you went into the store? I've always enjoyed talking with her. How'd the visit go?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

what did they say the delivery time was?
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

They said it would be about three or four weeks. Kathleen wasn't there when I stopped by, but the other guy knew what was going on and took care of me. BTW, I tried on the 11 1/2's while I was there. Perfect fit. Now, if their adjustments feel just as good I'll be ok. I'll let you know how it turns out.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I am also wondering about fit. I had myself measured yesterday and I came in between 13 1/2 and 14, and just above D in width.

I typically buy a 14, but a lot of the shoes I get don't come in half sizes at that size.

I think my choice is really between a 13 1/2 D or E and a 14 D. The nearest Alden store is in Seattle but when I called them up it didn't sound like they did a roaring trade in Aldens, more like something they can order if I want.

I guess I could call up the San Francisco Alden store for their advice. I'd much prefer to try them on before I buy.

The 14 D I am sure will be large enough, but I am still wondering if a 13 1/2 D or E would be a better "fit" for my foot.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I know its been said the that you should order your normal size but I ended up having to go down a 1/2 size with the 405 boot for a perfect fit.

I guess everyone is a bit different.
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Bink, I've been poking around at the few online Alden catalogues, and I can't seem to find the 502s and what they look like. Do you happen to have any photos, or know of a better way to find them online? Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Chaos
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Browncoat wrote:I know its been said the that you should order your normal size but I ended up having to go down a 1/2 size with the 405 boot for a perfect fit.

I guess everyone is a bit different.
I talked to the Jim at the Alden Shop in San Fran today. He said they don't make anything wider than a E above 12, so my choices were 13 1/2 D or 14 D. He said *at the top end of the size scale* the 405 can run a little large so advised trying the 13 1/2 first.

Now, he also said that the 405 really stays fairly stiff so you don't want to get too small a shoe and think it will open up a bit later. He said also people wear thicker socks with the 405 generally so that's another factor to consider.

A fairly knowledgable guy, he's calling me back tomorrow with availability, they had neither size in stock.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

IndyChaos wrote:Bink, I've been poking around at the few online Alden catalogues, and I can't seem to find the 502s and what they look like. Do you happen to have any photos, or know of a better way to find them online? Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Chaos
http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_spe_502.htm
Check out that link. It's technically a medical boot, so that's probably why you didn't find it. :wink:
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Alden Shop in SFO says no factory stock of 13 1/2 or 14, so have to wait 13-16 weeks for them to be made, though they may have a set of 14's coming from some guy they didn't fit.

Anyway, major bummer. Looks like I will need to get some Close-Enoughs (CE's?) for my first gear outing at the end of the month.
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

[/quote] http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_spe_502.htm
Check out that link. It's technically a medical boot, so that's probably why you didn't find it. :wink:[/quote]

Bink,
Those are some good looking boots. I bet they feel great with the amount of bracing and such they have made into them. Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Chaos
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

Well, I got my Aldens back in the mail yesterday. Dropped them off on the 23rd in DC and got them back to my home in North Alabama on August 6. Not to bad. The re-lasting made a huge difference. Much more comfortable. I still need to break them in though. Still feel a little pressure under the left side of my left foot but not near as bad as before. My foot doesn't hurt when I take them off. They even cleaned them up and looked it like they refinished the shoes etc.

After my ordeal I advise anyone to stay with their normal size. Don't go a half size down if you order them. The best practice is to go to an alden store and be fitted. If at that point a half size is indicated so be it but don't do it if you order them over the internet. If you do order them go to a reputable shoe store and have them use a Brannock device for fitting and get what ever size the device says. A little roomy is not such a bad thing either. Alddn 405's have a wide toe box but not a tall toe box. I just don't see what caused folks to recommend the 1/2 size smaller option without having them fitted.

Aldens will last forever especially with the reconditioning option they offer. As you get older your feet will change and it is not unusual to go up a half size or so later on in life. I have three other pairs of Aldens. They are a big investment but they will serve you well. The quality is exceptional and the leather they use is top notch. Happy Alden hunting.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

feathers73 wrote:After my ordeal I advise anyone to stay with their normal size. Don't go a half size down if you order them. The best practice is to go to an alden store and be fitted. If at that point a half size is indicated so be it but don't do it if you order them over the internet. If you do order them go to a reputable shoe store and have them use a Brannock device for fitting and get what ever size the device says. A little roomy is not such a bad thing either. Alddn 405's have a wide toe box but not a tall toe box. I just don't see what caused folks to recommend the 1/2 size smaller option without having them fitted.
Couldn't have stated it better myself, feathers. I'm glad the refit worked out for you. :wink:
Bink,
Those are some good looking boots. I bet they feel great with the amount of bracing and such they have made into them. Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Chaos
They are great shoes. They're designed specifically for use with orthotics or even foot braces, but you'd never know it. In fact, I like the comfort of the 502's better than the Indy boot, and I think the Indy boot is pretty darn good!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Just to reiterate, don’t ever by a pair of orthopedic Alden’s without getting measured and assessed by an expert. I guessed with my first pair. I had to send them back to Alden for a pair that I thought was the correct size. I wore those for a while. Then one day I walked into a little shop in Sherman Oaks.

Fritz (the shop owner and the man responsible for selling them to Ford originally) took one look at them and told me that they were the wrong size. That was disheartening, especially after spending so much on them. To get my proper size not only did Fritz measure my foot, he also had me walk around and studied my walk.

I ended up buying four pairs of shoes from him before he was killed. Don’t waste your time and money when you get Aldens. Do it right the first time. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just to bring the new folks up to speed about Fritz, Fritz and his wife were hit by car when they were walking along the side of the road one day.

A sad loss. :(

Regards! Michaelson
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

So I finally got my Aldens, some guy who was deciding between a 14 and 15 decided to keep his 15's so they sent me the 14's so I didn't have to wait for the 13 1/2.

In any event, the 14's are snug if anything (my usual size is a 14). I assume they work open a little wider with use. The length is good. They feel great! (other than the pressure to the outside of my feet)

I didn't realize the upper toe cap stitching was so light colored. You guys that are coloring them, did you color the stitching too? (pretty hard to avoid it). If you're not coloring, does everyone leave the white/natural stitching alone and just let it get dirty and darken?

Or ????
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i've polished mine numerous times. the stitching is quite resilient to shoe polish as it will shake the polish off eventually and remain nice and bright against the leather.

the 405's that i ordered, i specifically asked for darker stitching to remove this characteristic.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Indiana G wrote:the 405's that i ordered, i specifically asked for darker stitching to remove this characteristic.
DOH!

The stitching didn't look so prominent on the 1980 pair of 405's I looked at last week either.
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

well i apologize for not keeping an eye on this thread ANZAC. I too have a size 14 / 15 depending on the shoe. My Aldens are about a 4 to 5 month wait after placing the order. I have just placed an order for my second pair of 14Ds because the first pair ended up exceeding my expectations. If you have not tried a pair i think they are well worth the wait and would suggest giving the 14Ds a shot. I never get to actually pick a shoe out when i go shopping for them. I just say gimme whatever you have in the largest size you have. It sounds like you and i have the same problem when it comes to shoes and let me just say...THE ALDENS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR. As far as the stitching goes, unless you really just want a screen accurate look, shoes are the last thing i really notice about anything anyone wears. In fact, unless you actually showed me a screen shot i couldnt tell you if the stitching is white or blends in with the shoe. I would really just get em to look beat up and broke in, in the spirit of the character. I know my shoes are not screen acurate but i will have to say they are one of my favorite size 14D shoes I have ever owned. Since i have owned them they have recieved 1 coat of mink oil and that is all. You can see how the water has begun to turn the boots a darker color all on its own. In fact you can even tell where my pant leg keeps the water away from the boot as it turns from the darker brown to the lighter and how walking through long grass has worn away at the leather at the toes. Anyway, these are the 1 peice of indy gear i have to say i have been very pleased with and have decided to wait another 4 or 5 months all over again for my second pair.

ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I was less worried about screen accuracy than just whether the light stitching is the normal look for Aldens. I didn't take a photo of NH's pair but they were pretty well used but the leather seemed lighter than most of the shoe pictures on the forum.

Mink oil really does darken things (though your shoes look great!) - do some people Peccard Aldens instead? I just love how the other items come up with Peccards.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The light stitching is normal for the Alden Indy boot, but you can darken it some with shoe polish. Keep in mind that Indy's boots were so distressed and dirty that you couldn't really tell one way or another on the stitching. :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i'm quite sure that ford's alden's had the darker stitching than today....but mr. michaelson can confirm this as he has a circa 1980's pair of aldens. :D
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

yes i have read of people on the forums that have used pecards on thier aldens before. Also, are the 14s you recieved 14Ds?
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

ydam wrote:yes i have read of people on the forums that have used pecards on thier aldens before. Also, are the 14s you recieved 14Ds?
Yes, 14D. Above 13 you can only get D width.

Jim @ Alden shop says they will relax a bit with use and worst case they can get them altered to give me a little more width. But it does sound like I have the right size (15 would be too big for me).

So, order the size you normally wear, they do not run large. :)
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Okay, so the consensus is if you get your shoe size your fine? Question is I wear size 10 in sneakers, but a pair of Timberland Boots I have are size 8 1/2, then and pair of dress shoes I have are 9 1/2. So do I go by the sneaker size or are the Alden sized like some boots and dress shoes?
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

I think many sneakers tend to run small and Timberlands run big. Therefore, neither one is a good gauge. If you can't make it to an Alden store, go to a reputable shoe store in the town you live in and have them measure your foot with a Brannock device. Then order whatever the device indicates. Remember to measure both feet as they may vary. Go with the largest foot. I measure an 11 1/2 on my largest foot with the Brannock devick and that's exactly the size I wear in an Alden including the Indy boot.