New PB Indy Straw

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New PB Indy Straw

Post by IndyFlyer »

I just received my PB straw Indy. Took them about 3 weeks to deliver. When ordering you can choose which basic movie style you desire based on each of the three movies. I chose Raiders with the taller crown and tighter pinch. They will combine styles as well, such as a tight pinch on a lower crown, etc... So, sorta custom. Even though it is shaped and has had at least some stiffener added, the straw is very pliable and soft like a panama, not hard pressed like a western. Nice leather sweat inside. I chose no liner for better ventilation. Great color, unique, and very comfortable in the summer heat. Here are some shots:

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That looks great how long was the order time frame?

Yeah, I must have skimmed right over the 3 week portion in the first sentence... :roll:
Last edited by Tennessee Smith on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

That's a beautiful hat! Is it about the same thickness as a panama?
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

thanks for the pics ! does it come in plain white or natural?oh,never mind,i'm going there now, i've been burning up every day this summer and have to get a straw hat and this looks perfect. thanks again,hanson.
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Thanks fellas. It is a thicker straw and a thicker weave than a traditional panama/montecristi. Probably closer to the natural colored inexpensive Scala and Dorfman's that I've owned in the past, but much less stiff either due to the weave or to the higher quality material. There is a choice in color but I don't remember the details as I wanted the brown. Call them up, they are great to speak with and there is more info on the hat order and your options than presented on the website.
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

Looks great IndyFlyer!
I have enjoyed mine alot, the back brim on mine really started to droop so I just went ahead and turned it down. I have to say I like it that way now.
As you said this is a great hat. As a side note if you have any Scouts Felt hat stiffener it will work good on the Milan straw to put a little stiffness back in.
The picture of you wearing it you cant hardly tell its a straw, it almost looks like a felt.
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Thanks for the comments and for the tip on the stiffener, I was wondering and will now get some. I'm going to try to keep the rear brim slightly turned up, at least for now. I was surprised at how well the milan straw and this particular weave breathes while on my head. Noticeably more cool and more air than my tighter weave panamas, even though they are thinner.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Great looking PB straw, as usual.

I dropped D.Jone's PB straw off to her when I was down in Atlanta this weekend. She was pleased, and it's on it's back to her home in Phoenix to be worn in the desert. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Jamie_H
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jamie_H »

Looks really nice!!
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Looks great!