What is the craziest thing you have done to bash your lids??

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What is the craziest thing you have done to bash your lids??

Post by ydam »

I am just curious how you break em in because after posting some pics of my beat up and dirty lookin SAB it got me to thinking about all the stupid things i have done with it. Also is there anything you have done that seemed crazy but worked really well. As for some the things i have done...
burried in sand
drug behind a fork lift
punting it like a football
it has been thrown as hard as i could into some nice dusty, dry dirt many times
latest experiment was covering it with sheetrock dust
wadding it into the smallest ball i could
of course i had to sit on the thing
some of my fellow employees played soccer with it
gave it to my three year old to play with for about 5 mins (this is not recommended)
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

About the weirdest thing I've done with my Mayser fedora is kick it around in the dirt. I also sat on it for an hour once.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Aeris_Canon wrote:No need to set the hat on fire after all.
Wait, there isn't? :shock: oops...
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Just watched the film a few more times and really looked at the hat during the whole thing. Keeping in mind D. Nadoolman's words during the DVD interview and trying a few things based on that. The outlandish tactics for trying to copy the hat weren't so mysterious after all. In fact, it all became quite obvious. At least closer to understanding why the Raiders is the way it is. No need to set the hat on fire after all.
hmmm...i am gunna have to check out the interview and watch the film a few more times i guess. Most of the time i just sit and think "i wonder what the hat would look like if i ________"
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Threw it like a frizbee across a feild of dirts and let it roll around then kicked it crumpled it up in my hand sat on it then brushed it off reshaped it and set it back on my head. I used the words "That should do it" after i was done.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

'fraid I like my Camptown too much to be that rude to it. I might get a fed deluxe to abuse but this is both my Indy and my Brown Fedora so I won't be dragging it behind my wheelchair anytime soon :rolling:
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

Dostacos wrote:'fraid I like my Camptown too much to be that rude to it. I might get a fed deluxe to abuse but this is both my Indy and my Brown Fedora so I won't be dragging it behind my wheelchair anytime soon :rolling:
I guess i kinda went at it the opposite way. I bought one to beat up first and am really looking to find which hat i like enough to try keep nice and neat so i can have a dress hat to wear.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

ydam wrote:I guess i kinda went at it the opposite way. I bought one to beat up first and am really looking to find which hat i like enough to try keep nice and neat so i can have a dress hat to wear.
Dostacos wrote:'fraid I like my Camptown too much to be that rude to it. I might get a fed deluxe to abuse but this is both my Indy and my Brown Fedora so I won't be dragging it behind my wheelchair anytime soon :rolling:
As for me...I guess I'm sort of in between your aproaches. I've only got the Mayser at the moment, so while there are times I want it as dusty as the Cairo Raiders hat, I make sure to clean it as soon as I'm done.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Going by what the rest of you guys are saying, I guess the craziest thing I have done to my fedora would be to treat it like royalty... If beating the crud out of your hat is the norm, I guess that makes me the crazy one! ;)
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Going by what the rest of you guys are saying, I guess the craziest thing I have done to my fedora would be to treat it like royalty... If beating the crud out of your hat is the norm, I guess that makes me the crazy one! ;)
Now that i think about it Castor i should have probably posted this to find out some crazy things people have done to distress thier jackets as apposed to the hats. I am sure the jackets gettin intentionaly distressed is probably a little more common then someone actually doing that with thier lids. I originally bought my hat for costume wear and after i had already beat it up pretty good did it really start to grow on me. Hence the reason i am looking for a nice fedora to wear daily. However, dont get me wrong...You ARE the crazy one :P
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

I found the same thing that helps grow beards helps age that lids. go to a corral get some horse er... dropping and rub liberally over the face for beard growth or the hat to really break it in :wink:

wait till I tell ya how we "broke in" new Levis on ranch hands.....
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I have a little bottle of sand from Egypt that I rub into my hat often(and it was great for rubbing the shine off my jacket too! :D )
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What is the craziest thing you have done to bash your li

Post by Dr.Seuss »

ydam wrote:I am just curious how you break em in * * *
Let a friend wear it, to Burning Man.

Sincerely,
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Well, I've been looking to buy fuller's earth online and I just can't find a shop that sells it at a reasonable price with reasonable shipping. So, I found out the Public grocery store's kitty litter is made from it so I smothered "untainted" kitty litter on my hat. Now I know that's not a big deal to most, but we have two cats in my house and yours truly is the one that has to clean out the box usually. So it just felt sacrilegious and plain wrong. [-X

Other than that, I've wadded it up in a tiny ball numerous times. Let my kid play with it (that's what really aged it) :shock: and I cut my grass wearing it last weekend (Imagine thrashing hay in a dust storm).

-Erin
fatwoul
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fatwoul »

- - -
Last edited by fatwoul on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

cool, pm it to me, if you would? :D
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

fatwoul wrote:I found a place online that sells 100g tubs of Fuller's Earth for £3.90, which includes UK shipping. Seemed alright to me, so I got some.
yup...i would love to have that contact info too if you dont mind
fatwoul
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fatwoul »

- - -
Last edited by fatwoul on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

sweet...thanks fatwoul
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos, dude. :D
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Well, I simply tried out different ways of using a hat stretcher! No more details! [-( :-$ 8-[

Regards,
Henrik
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Why did I just have a feeling of you posting in this thread Henrik :lol:

Regards,

Marc