Indy 4 fedora....thoughts?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indy 4 fedora....thoughts?

Post by Fedora »

Well, we finally got to see the hat from the front view on this clip here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLcC-zh1pE

Personally, I think it looks better than the true Last Crusade fedora, but not as good as the Raiders fedora. It seems to be squarer than the LC hat, even with those creases pushed back so far. I also noticed that Harry has been grabbing the hat by the front pinch as it is much tighter than what the hats looked like on the other film we have seen of the hats stacked up. What do you guys think??? Regards, Fedora
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think it definitely looks like it belongs on his head!

It's great to see a non-tapered hat back on his noggin'. I think it suits him really well.

The gray hair seems to stand out a bit from it, but we'll just chalk that up to weathering. :wink:

Mike
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I think I'm pretty darn pumped just seeing the video! It's not the clearest shot of the hat due to video quality, but I like what I see. It still looks classy to me! :wink:
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Looks great to me. :tup: Thanks for posting it, Steve! I guess Marion's back.

Ron
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i think fedora hit the nail on the head....better than lc but no rotla. i would love to see ford release the raiders hat that is dormant in that thing.....come on!!!! awake the giant!!!!!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I think it looks good. The color of the hat seems darker than the LC hat but then again maybe it's the lighting in that video. I do think it contrasts with Ford's gray hair.

The brim reminds me of the LC hat. I kind of wish they would have gone a little wider with it, but.....All of these minor things might be moot once we see it on film. Given the fact that this is the best shot we've seen of it so far and it's still really not the best as far as a clear pic goes.

I want to see how the hat looks with the WHOLE outfit. Where's the jacket and gunbelt with the holster?!?!
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Yeah, I noticed that. The whip was there, but it was hanging from the web belt. :-k

Ron
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

I have to say, I like the looks of the Indy 4 Fedora. While the Raiders Fedora has always been and will always be my favorite, I've always liked the look of the more traditional, relaxed-pinch, un-turned LC hat as well. But combining a Raiders-style block shape with a looser LC-ish pinch looks just as great as I thought it would. It might not be a Raiders fedora but I like what I see! :tup:

-GCR
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I don't believe that's how it's going to be for the whole film. I get the impression from these shots that Indy's either lost some of his stuff or had it taken away from him after be captured. I'm also thinking for some reason this is all still towards the beginning of the film for some reason.

Although, we know E.T spotlighted the hat, whip and jacket but there was never a shot of the holster or gunbelt. :shock:

Anway......back to the hat. :wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

GCR wrote:I have to say, I like the looks of the Indy 4 Fedora. While the Raiders Fedora has always been and will always be my favorite, I've always liked the look of the more traditional, relaxed-pinch, un-turned LC hat as well. But combining a Raiders-style block shape with a looser LC-ish pinch looks just as great as I thought it would. It might not be a Raiders fedora but I like what I see! :tup:

-GCR

I think the thing from really putting it over the top in my eyes is the lack of the "turn". Why didn't they go back to that? It's the key to making the Raiders hat what it was in my mind. :wink:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I love Indy's new lid and I'm flippin' happy that Marion is back!
Last edited by indy89 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Fedora - I am so pleased we now have pics of this new fedora. Are these stills enough that somebody with your talents might be able to reproduce those hats?
I dunno. I would need to see more pics, clearer ones. :D I like the ribbon too, and I KNOW I can replicate that, thanks to Dalexs. He taught me how to make bows.
I think the thing from really putting it over the top in my eyes is the lack of the "turn". Why didn't they go back to that? It's the key to making the Raiders hat what it was in my mind.
I think they were looking for continuity with TLC hat, but I am guessing as always. And I would also guess that they did not want the turn. Someone did not like it, along with the tight front pinch. I bet the hatter who made the hats suggested the Raiders fedora as most know it is the most popular. But, apparently that mattered little. But by the looks of it, the hatter used a Raideresque block. I think we need to pat him on the back when and if we find out who actually made those hats. We know one thing for sure. That ain't no HJ up there. I imagine HJ was ruled out pretty fast, once they saw the hat. Fedora
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I figured it wasn't the decision that was left up to the hatter that supplied the hats for the film and that it was all up to what the director wanted. So I don't fault the hatter at all. He or she has to make the customer happy and that's the bottom line regardless of their own personal taste. :wink:

I'm sure once we find out who supplied the hats down the road everyone will be more than happy to give them a nice big round of applause for a job well done. :D
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

How do we know it isn't an HJ? I know most people here dislike the HJs and say they don't hold up too well, but they don't really need to for the movie. If they used Todd's HJ in the movie, it wouldn't really need to last for more than a couple days before they decided to move onto the next hat.

It's not like the hats used in the movies were perfect. I saw one of the film-used hats in a museum once (yes, it belongs in a museum). This was before I got into Indy gear, so I can't tell you many details about it, but I can say that I didn't like the way it looked. It had one of the worst tapers I've seen. It looked like one of the HJ nightmares that get posted here occasionally.

So again, the hats used in the movies aren't perfect either. If it only needs to look good for 2 days, why couldn't they have used an HJ? Surely it would hold up to any amount of abuse you could dish out in that short timespan.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mark Brody wrote: I saw one of the film-used hats in a museum once (yes, it belongs in a museum). This was before I got into Indy gear, so I can't tell you many details about it, but I can say that I didn't like the way it looked. It had one of the worst tapers I've seen. It looked like one of the HJ nightmares that get posted here occasionally.
I'd venture to guess because the screen used hat you saw IS an HJ. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Pitfall Harry wrote: I'm sure once we find out who supplied the hats down the road everyone will be more than happy to give them a nice big round of applause for a job well done. :D
.....and extra business.... :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

What, you think there will be a demand for Indy hats when this movie comes out? :lol:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

You think..? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wings has filled their bins with new Dorfmans, so you KNOW there will. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

.....Dorfman being the MOST accurate of all Indy fedoras of course... :roll: :wink: :wink:
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Geez louise there's a lot of winking going on in this thread...so...um...

:wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I think it's all because of allergies.....I always feel like I've got something in my eye...... :wink: :wink: :wink: ...see there it is again. Could be all the dust coming off of my gear too. :wink: :wink: ....see there it goes again!
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

I take back what I said about the hat being virtually a LC duplicate...The lid does evoke lot of Raiders there. Love the crown. Each film has it's distinct hat...

The only thing that sticks out in these pics is Harrison's gut! A little sucking in would've done the trick...
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I guess I'll just have to take your guys word for it. I'm still learning.

I put up some edited screenshots from the video in the other Indy 4 thread. It's a little clearer than the video itself.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Awsome. I actually think I'll wait until closer to the movie's release before getting a new fedora.....by then we should have clearer shots of the hat.

And Marion's back too! Cool.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Awsome. I actually think I'll wait until closer to the movie's release before getting a new fedora.....by then we should have clearer shots of the hat.

..... :-k ..... :-k .......are you going for a screen accurate back ? :wink:
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Ripper wrote:

..... :-k ..... :-k .......are you going for a screen accurate back ? :wink:
Heh.....took me a couple minutes to get that....
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

....the important thing is that you DID get it, :wink:
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Ripper wrote:....the important thing is that you DID get it, :wink:
lol. Let's just say I was a little late when God handed out brains.

I'm still trying to figure this out though: is the new fedora an LC with a Raiders block AND pinch, or just the Raiders block shape?
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

Mike wrote:I think it definitely looks like it belongs on his head!

It's great to see a non-tapered hat back on his noggin'. I think it suits him really well.

The gray hair seems to stand out a bit from it, but we'll just chalk that up to weathering. :wink:

Mike
that means SOME of us will be more screen accurate than others :shock:
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Ask yourself how somebody could know it is not an HJ
...easy...Howard Johnson's didnt make hats......... :wink:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Hey, here's a clearer picture of the hat I found on the Indy IV whip discussion:

Hey, does anyone share my feeling that this pic would look great on a family christmas card? :junior: -IJ
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

That would make a good X-Mas card. Kinda brings a tear to my right eye. :lol:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, I can just see it: "Season's Greetings from the set of Indy IV." :junior: -IJ
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

I know one thing for sure, if I ever find out where the hat came from... :wink: ..I'm going to get me one for sure! :D Can't wait...but I guess I'll have to for now. :( Looks great though. :D
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I think I will make that my wallpaper... 8) :wink:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I made this one my wallpaper:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

indy89 wrote:I made this one my wallpaper:
Ditto. Love the way that pic looks. :junior: -IJ
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

You and me both.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey, here's a clearer picture of the hat I found on the Indy IV whip discussion:
Wow, thanks. That is a great picture. I love the way they aged the hat.

I also think Spielberg is playing the net pretty smart as well. I think it is great he is teasing us, whetting our appetite for this new film. It sure gives us plenty to talk about as we await the release of the film. Fedora
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

That is a great picture...and man that hat is looking fine! :wink:
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

My guess wasn´t too bad when I designed my own Indy IV hat for my poster. :D

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

My guess wasn´t too bad when I designed my own Indy IV hat for my poster.
Make it taller, say 4 3/4 height at the front of the hat, and make sure the front creases look like a lazy "D" ala LC and you are there. (a lazy D is a crease where you roll the D to the right so it is resting on the curve. So, the shape of the crease forms a D shape) This is what I am seeing when I look at the new pics of the group together. Classic LC creases. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Since Steven Speilbert KNOWS the Indy fans better than we THOUGHT he did, do you also not suppose he just added the numbers to the box (KNOWING we know what the significance is) to just muddy the waters even further?

This string is rapidly moving toward a move to the Indy IV section. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Michaelson wrote:Since Steven Speilbert KNOWS the Indy fans better than we THOUGHT he did, do you also not suppose he just added the numbers to the box (KNOWING we know what the significance is) to just muddy the waters even further?

This string is rapidly moving toward a move to the Indy IV section. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
I thought exactly the same. And I can't believe the different last numbers are just a mistake. If they are doing the effort in looking for the ark crate's numbers, why should they mess it up in the end?

Only two or three years ago,who would have thought, we could debate about such details?! It really is becoming exciting, isn't it!
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Guess that I will be getting even MORE "Hey Indy!" comments while wearing any of my hats, even the vintage non-Indy fedoras............
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

As a matter of fact, that group photo looks almost EXACTLY like the Christmas card my wife and I sent out, one of which was sent to both Mr. Lucas and Mr. Spielberg.

Wait! You don't think... they took... nah! It can't be! They wouldn't borrow other people's material and try to make it their own, would they?

Any way. Harrison Ford looks great in these pictures. I think that fedora is the best one out of the whole series besides Raiders. I think it also might just edge out the original. Here's one of me on the last hike I went on with my family...

zeus36 - I feel your pain. Even though I asked (and got) a fedora that's more generic to the 1930's - people still think it's an "Indy Hat," and not just a fedora. Millions of other men wore fedoras before Harrison Ford did while making "Raiders Of The Lost Ark."

Before "Raiders..." fedoras were known as "Bogart" or "Bogie" hats. (I'm hoping someday if we're really lucky and work hard, they'll call 'em "fedoras" cause of the efforts we've put into educating the unanointed.)
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

What else to say than: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

BTW- I think I have a new favourite Indy Fedora!
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

The real Henry wrote:I think I have a new favourite Indy Fedora!
I second that.
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by slowdevil »

Just wanted to comment on the new hat... My first impression is that it needs more swoop in the brim. And am I seeing things, or is the hat (from the "x-mas card pic) actually turned on Ford's head, but to his left?

Justin