Chippewa Work Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Chippewa Work Boots

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Here are the boots I have. Not Alden exactly, but they have a nice weathered, vintage look. Jeephoto has a pair as well. I bought mine from this site for around $15. Looks like they went up on the price a bit to about $30, still a good price since they originally sell for over $100. For some reason, I'm thinking this is what LL Bean used to offer, but I may be wrong on that. Looks like they just have sizes 7 and 7.5 left.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/sps.html?s_id=1436

Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

WHY CAN'T THEY EVER HAVE THEM IN MY SIZE. The awsome sales pop up now and then and I can never take advantage of them, grrrrrr. :evil:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

ITG, I always thought you had the LL Bean version.

They still offer them.

They call them engineer boots. It seems that many of the qualities of this boot are in the Aldens as well. If they would only do the moc toe they would be perfect.

L.L.Bean classics popular for utility use since the 1920s. These tough leather boots offer excellent support and genuine Goodyear®-welt construction for years of wear. Full-grain-leather upper with absorbent fabric lining in the forefoot. Steel shank and molded heel counter for stability. Removable cushion insole. Oil-resistant cork-and-rubber-compound sole is directly stitched to upper for durability. Brass eyelets and speed hooks. Can be resoled. USA. Fit best with midweight socks.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Ok that's it man, I am buyin a pair of those.
Indydawg

Yep...

Post by Indydawg »

After my personal repeated attempts with Alden to try and get a pair that fit me properly, and not being able to, I finally just junked the idea of owning a pair and bought myself a pair of those Bean Engineer boots....I got the 8.5D and was able to put a Dr. Scholls work boot insert in them and got a perfect fit. They're awesome and I love mine. I won't ever be able to truly duplicate the Indy "screen" look, but I can get close....

They are a GREAT alternative to the Aldens. And the LL Bean folks are nicer to deal with too.... 8) (Fritz at Fredricks and the folks at Renner's Boots and Shoes in Kansas City, Missouri excluded)....

Later!
Indydawg
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

You can add me to the 'Crazy Horse' Engineer Boot crowd as well. They do have an excellent vintage look, and weather very nicely as ITG said. They seemed a bit heavy to wear at first, and you need a good cushioned ribbed boot sock, but I found the current Alden 405’s just didn’t live up to my expectations, especially considering the price, maybe the next generation. The Chippewa’s rich color also looks great with wide hem khakis or boot cut jeans and look just like the ones pictured on the web site. I like em’!!! :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Pyroxene wrote:ITG, I always thought you had the LL Bean version.
I got mine from Bargain Outfitters, however, I'm pretty sure they are the same ones that LLBean offers.

Rixter, you're right, they do look great with boot cut jeans and/or other wide-legged pants.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

I posted this in another thread, but LL Bean is discontinuing (again) the Moc Toe Double L Welt Boots. They are pretty close to Aldens in appearance, and they are on sale for $74.95 (originally $110). If you want a pair, get them now.

They have all of the qualities of the Engineer Boot (a good lookin boot BTW), except for the steel shank and the speed hooks. So, I guess get 'em while you can. They aren't on the LL Bean website...call 'em up and ask if they have your size.

They hurt my feet for the first week, but I too added Dr. Scholls, and after breaking them in a bit, they are wonderful!

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Last edited by cliffhanger on Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Found the Engineer Boot link, http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ch&feat=sr
and I really like these boots.

Now, how about the fit? I wear a standard size 10. However, as many of you know, that size can vary with different vendors or even between sneakers (does that word 'date' me?) and boots. Sometimes I end up with 9.5 and sometimes I end up with 10.5. I can see that a couple of you have used Dr. Scholl's to assist in the fit or a thicker sock.

Since this is an online order, how has your personal experience been in respect to actual sizing? Are you ordering a half siz up or down or the same size?
Indydawg

Well,

Post by Indydawg »

When I ordered mine, I ordered the same size that I had in the Aldens I was trying to wear at the time (8.5) and I ordered a size 9 (also a common size that I wear) and sent back the size that didn't fit. Due to their rather "generic" "D" width, they run a little bit large....hence the necessity of the Dr. Scholl's workboot inserts in mine. The size 9s just swallowed my feet.

So, I'm not sure if that answers the question or not, but if it was me, I'd just order a couple of different sizes and then send back the ones that didn't fit.

Oh, and IJ, I've already cleared it with Mrs. Indydawg that you and I are going to downtown Atlanta one day to get properly fitted for a pair of Aldens. Maybe I'll find out, once and for all, if there is ANY size Alden boots that can fit me properly.

Later!
Indydawg
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Lord knows I love my Aldens to death, had them for two years and they have been awsome. The only complaint In have ever had is over the price, they are worth it, but man that price, ahhhh.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Joe wrote:Found the Engineer Boot link, http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ch&feat=sr
and I really like these boots.
I'm getting a "We're sorry, an unexpected error occurred" error. This is what I got yesterday when I tried looking them up yesterday to post a link. Anyone else getting this error?
Now, how about the fit? Since this is an online order, how has your personal experience been in respect to actual sizing? Are you ordering a half siz up or down or the same size?
When I ordered, I ordered a 8.5 and a 9. The 9's were too big, so I sold them to Jeephoto. The 8.5 were a better fit. They are probably still a little big/wide. I wear an 11 in womens shoes, and the only other pairs of men shoes I have are a pair of Havana Joe hiking boots and Justin cowboy boots, both of which are 8.5 and fit better than the Chippewas. It is my synopsis that the Chippewas run slightly big, but this could be due to the D width size. I have more of a C width foot. I hope this helps.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote: I'm getting a "We're sorry, an unexpected error occurred" error. This is what I got yesterday when I tried looking them up yesterday to post a link. Anyone else getting this error?
No. The link works for me.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Well,

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:Oh, and IJ, I've already cleared it with Mrs. Indydawg that you and I are going to downtown Atlanta one day to get properly fitted for a pair of Aldens. Maybe I'll find out, once and for all, if there is ANY size Alden boots that can fit me properly.
Let's go bro! Wait... I haven't gotten permission. Awwww, you know she'll yes after my people meet your people and we all do lunch! :)

Seriously, I'd really like to go and I look forward to it.

Just an idea-- Logistically difficult but nonetheless---we could do a field trip with everyone that shows up for a mini-summit or whip practice. Maybe not the 15th but perhaps at a later date? Could we pack everyone in the back of your pickup and cruise down 85? I'm sure a staple gun will keep the feds on tight! :shock:

Anyway, I need to get fitted on way or another.
Indydawg

Hmmm...

Post by Indydawg »

Well, maybe not in the back of the pickup, but I'd bet we could get most everyone into the Explorer....it would make for a much more comfortable ride for everyone concerned AND eliminate the need for me to break out the industrial grade staple gun :wink: !

Heck, man...we don't need to wait until the 15th to go do it. We can head up there almost any time....as long as it's on the weekend so we don't get caught in that ridiculous Atlanta traffic.

Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Talked to the misses last night and now we just need a time. I had to assure her that I wouldn't come home with a pair and told her I don't have the money saved up for them but I can just get my feet sized! Hey! How's that for a run-on sentence!